• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Wait for the Drop

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
yeah yeah zac I get it, I was duped into thinking oreimo wouldn't end that way, i'm just a huge fool. This is why I'm happy visual novels exist for the franchise. Regardless this nice podcast overall, I look forward to your live pod-cast from ax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Might have wanted to wait for the end of Flowers of Evil before praising it for just 'saying it's message and that's it'. Instead ya got a mess of a few minutes of animation randomly going through content at breakneck speed to just beg to the viewers to buy and support this 'part one' so that it could get a followup.

That was very amusing.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
iTunes/Podcast download kvetches, though not in an informative way. Trying to load it in iTunes, the claim is that the podcast can't be found.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
My problem with the Gyo OVA is that it just comes off as stupid and ugly, whereas Junji Ito's manga, even with the same ridiculous premise, manages to remain creepy and unnerving. If you've never read any Junji Ito before, he's basically one of the only horror mangaka that's effective that I've found. It's not so much scary content as it is just bizarre and wild. There's a ton of body horror and Lovecraftian themes of creatures and enemies beyond thought or control, like giant floating clone heads of you that find you and strangle you if you're outside. Or being sucked into a hole in a mountain side. I'm kind of surprised that Ito isn't more well known, his stuff should basically be entry level for people delving into manga.

Most important, he's a good artist. That's why the manga worked and the OVA was craaaaaap. I can't see how anyone could defend it, and I honestly don't believe the dude's stuff can transition well to anime in the first place.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex is charging 30 bucks for Gyo. As I pointed out on twitter you can get Super Robot Wars Divine Wars for that price

My thoughts on My Little Sister Cant be this cute is that I saw a few episodes and I just couldnt get interested in a show about otaku that has nothing even remotely to do with reality. Where an anime group is made up of gorgeous women, everyone fits into a generic character type, and how being an otaku is totally awesome (its just a type of animation that I am a fan of).

Those fool threw Sakura Wars books away right when Project X Zone came out! Its going to sell at least 50,000 units!

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm unable to download the episode? I'm being told the URL was not found on the server? Is anyone having this issue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Annblob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Man, at first Oreimo never caught my interest. I heard it wasn't really incest, and everyone liked it, and there's sooo much merchandise of it, but never watched it. It just seemed blah to me. Then Just recently, with the second season airing, I was ready to give it a shot...then I listened to this and looked up the ending. Nope. I'm glad I didn't waste my time.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Why does it always seem like everyone who praises Flowers of Evil's rotoscope and defend it don't even like anime? The guests in the beginning pretty much admit they don't like anime or watch it anymore which seems kind of odd for anime podcast guests but that seems to be a recurring theme I notice with people who love this show but the average anime fan knows it's ugly and was a terrible decision to do as an adaption.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Really, Arise was bad?

I see nothing with stuffing GiTS iconography into well a GITS anime. GITS has it's own visual stuff these days and well it's not like that's all Arise was made up of. Besides, SAC dosen't shy away from those visuals either.

And while SAC is by far a fantastic show, it's animation was not always fantastic. Then again it was a tv show. But I did'nt feel like Arise's animation was standard. I thought it looked quite good and all the action scenes where very well choreographed and well animated. They were the action scenes you want in OVA's.

As for the story, maybe it was a bit muddled. But it kept the stronger aspects of the stronger season of SAC, 2nd Gig. It mixed the typical SAC sci-fi police procedural(GITS NCIS!) with 2nd Gig's more look at a more personal Major. I thought they were pretty successful in developing this Major. Brash and head strong, but not the expert she is in SAC. It also had the typical "this is how the crew meet" stuff, but all that was done interestingly.

I mean I won't lie. It's not treading new ground in this episode, beyond showing "young Major". It's not a prequel to SAC, more like a prequel to the GITS mythos and well so far it's doing a good job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I'm unable to download the episode? I'm being told the URL was not found on the server? Is anyone having this issue

Same problem here. Something is wrong with the location of the mp3 file that the RSS feed points to.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:
Why does it always seem like everyone who praises Flowers of Evil's rotoscope and defend it don't even like anime? The guests in the beginning pretty much admit they don't like anime or watch it anymore which seems kind of odd for anime podcast guests but that seems to be a recurring theme I notice with people who love this show but the average anime fan knows it's ugly and was a terrible decision to do as an adaption.

Wait...what? For the most part I adored Flowers of Evil and I still love anime. Rolling Eyes Honestly I think it's supposed to look "ugly", in the sense that it's supposed to be unsettling and Nakamura isn't supposed to be cute/moe but just a normal, screwed-up girl. I normally don't like rotoscoping, but for Flowers of Evil? It works really, really well in my opinion. And I'm glad they took a risk and tried something new than just making it look like every other anime out there right now. Don't get me wrong, I love some shows that look fairly generic (heck, Pretear is one of my favorite shows and that series oozes generic shoujo), but experimenting can be great for a change.

I'd recommend avoiding sweeping generalizations about people that like something you don't like. It never, ever goes well. (Just ask anyone that's ever said "everyone that likes moe is a pedophile.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:

I think a big part of liking the look of Flowers of Evil is whether you are a fan of animation in general or if you are just a fan of anime. I have found that just anime fans tend not to like Flowers of Evil much because they tend to just like animation that is in the anime style. Fans of animation in general tend to like it because they are more open mined about animation styles, and appreciate how different it is from most anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll agree Fourze is a lot better than Wizard. Wizard has a great design and nice gimmick, but the writing and story have just been ho-hum with a lot of wasted potential, though the recent episode was pretty nice. I do hope they continue the trend of spoiler[a third, female rider] since I liked Nadeshiko a lot as well.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Honestly I think it's supposed to look "ugly", in the sense that it's supposed to be unsettling and Nakamura isn't supposed to be cute/moe but just a normal, screwed-up girl. It works really, really well in my opinion. And I'm glad they took a risk and tried something new than just making it look like every other anime out there right now. Don't get me wrong, I love some shows that look fairly generic (heck, Pretear is one of my favorite shows and that series oozes generic shoujo), but experimenting can be great for a change.

You know, it's statements like these that really show just how little some people think of anime as a medium if they think anime is somehow incapable of doing this on it's own. I mean, the manga is plenty disturbing and unsettling, however, scenes I found creepy or disturbing in the manga make me laugh out loud in the anime because of the art direction. Nakamura is not some one-dimensional 'disturbing' girl. Nakamura can go from creepy to sympathetically normal/cute depending on the scene in the manga and express a wide variety of styles and emotions. The anime, however, maintains this static expression and style all throughout due to the rotoscope, completely removing the comparative and contrasting art. I was hoping the anime would at least get to the spoiler[Saeki rape scene] so I could see how they would have handled it with rotoscoping, since that was unnerving and creepy in the manga, but I feel like I'd laugh at the anime version of it and unable to take it seriously.
Brad F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
I like anime in general and I've been loving Flowers of Evil. I don't see why the rotoscoping is such a big deal. It doesn't make it a good, show or a bad show. What makes the show great is the atmosphere and the intensity (oddly intense, considering the pacing of the show- which I love). The style of animation contributes to those qualities, but it's hardly the only reason the show feels so different and so damn weird.

I don't really notice the animation in most shows (I think a lot of people are the same way) because they look like "Random Mech Show X" or "Moe Show Y" are supposed to look: serviceable and within a defined style that shows of that type generally have. Flowers of Evil is not like that, but it still kind of amazes me the amount of shit it's getting for it.
Brad F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
That Fish Attack movie sounds incredible. I was laughing so hard I cried through the entire description Zac gave of it. Probably not worth $30 but it sounds (and the trailer looks) [expletive] hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7