• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overdoing the Ratings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed recently that as I look at some of the anime pages, examples being Honey and Clover, His and Her Circumstances, Millennium Actress, and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (although I can remember seeing it in more titles, I can't remember which), that the user(s) rating the anime simply overdoes it making the series a "masterpiece" or "worst ever" an exceeding amount times in whatever language the database recognizes for subtitles.

I know you can put different ratings for different versions you've seen, but isn't this a bit overdoing it, especially since it doesn't affect the ratings beyond the first vote? Can anything be done? It makes the ratings details needlessly stretched out, especially in Honey and Clover and His and Her Circumstances' case, which also makes it hard to see exactly how many users rated them a "masterpiece."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I was just about to point that out for Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid. It reads like this:

Masterpiece: 83 votes (sub:77, dub:4, ?:1, Fre.sub:1)
Excellent: 90 votes (sub:84, dub:4, raw:1, ?:1)
Very good: 43 votes (sub:42, raw:1)
Good: 17 votes (sub:16, dub:1)
Decent: 2 votes (sub:2)
So-so: -
Not really good: 1 vote (sub:1)
Weak: -
Bad: -
Awful: -
Worst ever: 46 votes (sub:3, raw:1, Swe.dub:1, Dut.edit.dub:1, Ita.sub:1, Ger.dub:1, edit.dub:1, Pol.edit.dub:1, Swe.sub:1, Dut.dub:1, Fre.edit.dub:1, Ger.sub:1, dub:1, Pol.dub:1, Rus.edit.dub:1, Dut.sub:1, Fre.dub:1, Dan.edit.dub:1, Pol.sub:1, Rus.dub:1, Kor.edit.dub:1, Fre.sub:1, Dan.dub:1, Tag.edit.dub:1, Rus.sub:1, Kor.dub:1, Spa.edit.dub:1, Dan.sub:1, Tag.dub:1, Por.edit.dub:1, Kor.sub:1, Spa.dub:1, Ara.edit.dub:1, Tag.sub:1, Por.dub:1, Ita.edit.dub:1, Spa.sub:1, Ara.dub:1, ?:1, Swe.edit.dub:1, Por.sub:1, Ita.dub:1, Ger.edit.dub:1, Ara.sub:1)
Seen in part or in whole by 474 users, rank: #243
Median rating: Excellent
Arithmetic mean: 8.8661 (Excellent-.13), std. dev.: 1.4108, rank: #58
Weighted mean: 8.8193 (Excellent-.18), rank: #54
Bayesian estimate: 8.76426 (Excellent-.23), rank: #9

I've yet to see the series myself, but I doubt a person from every one of those sub and dub categories would give this a Worst Ever rating. Is this to throw in some kind of weird balance for the overall ratings, a joke, or something else?

EDIT: Fixed a grammar error.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I was just about to point that for Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid. It reads like this:

Masterpiece: 83 votes (sub:77, dub:4, ?:1, Fre.sub:1)
Excellent: 90 votes (sub:84, dub:4, raw:1, ?:1)
Very good: 43 votes (sub:42, raw:1)
Good: 17 votes (sub:16, dub:1)
Decent: 2 votes (sub:2)
So-so: -
Not really good: 1 vote (sub:1)
Weak: -
Bad: -
Awful: -
Worst ever: 46 votes (sub:3, raw:1, Swe.dub:1, Dut.edit.dub:1, Ita.sub:1, Ger.dub:1, edit.dub:1, Pol.edit.dub:1, Swe.sub:1, Dut.dub:1, Fre.edit.dub:1, Ger.sub:1, dub:1, Pol.dub:1, Rus.edit.dub:1, Dut.sub:1, Fre.dub:1, Dan.edit.dub:1, Pol.sub:1, Rus.dub:1, Kor.edit.dub:1, Fre.sub:1, Dan.dub:1, Tag.edit.dub:1, Rus.sub:1, Kor.dub:1, Spa.edit.dub:1, Dan.sub:1, Tag.dub:1, Por.edit.dub:1, Kor.sub:1, Spa.dub:1, Ara.edit.dub:1, Tag.sub:1, Por.dub:1, Ita.edit.dub:1, Spa.sub:1, Ara.dub:1, ?:1, Swe.edit.dub:1, Por.sub:1, Ita.dub:1, Ger.edit.dub:1, Ara.sub:1)
Seen in part or in whole by 474 users, rank: #243
Median rating: Excellent
Arithmetic mean: 8.8661 (Excellent-.13), std. dev.: 1.4108, rank: #58
Weighted mean: 8.8193 (Excellent-.18), rank: #54
Bayesian estimate: 8.76426 (Excellent-.23), rank: #9

I've yet to see the series myself, but I doubt a person from every one of those sub and dub categories would give this a Worst Ever rating.
I'd agree that is overdoing it but I think ANN wants it there for people who watchs anime in there own language (if it's other than english), which I find understandable...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I'd agree that is overdoing it but I think ANN wants it there for people who watchs anime in there own language (if it's other than english), which I find understandable...

I understand there being different things like that, but since the ratings are not skewed to weigh in the "46 votes" for "Worst Ever," it seems to me that one person is adding a "Worst Ever" rating for each language available, which is what I am referring to.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I've yet to see the series myself, but I doubt a person from every one of those sub and dub categories would give this a Worst Ever rating. Is this to throw in some kind of weird balance for the overall ratings, a joke, or something else?

This smells like a cruel joke to me - that, or someone might have possibly spammed the entry. I haven't seen Second Raid either, but everyone that I've spoke to that have seen Second Raid said that it's an excellent series, and that Kyoto Animation actually outdid themselves after the success of Fumoffu last year.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
There is another thread about this in the Bugs & Technical Questions forum. It is spam, but it's not going to affect the statistics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1