Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3666

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
One wonders if some other company with a much larger budget and talent pool will be willing to try and tackle this whole animated RPG concept.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 620
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
This game has the most generic modern anime art style I've ever seen. If I saw those characters designs in a new season preview chart I'd immediately resolve to not watch it.

Edit: I just watched a video of this to see what Todd was talking about with the animation, and dear God it looks hideous. It's like watching a super low-budget zero-effort anime that's been converted into Flash, circa 2005.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendervai



Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
My cousin preordered a copy of this for my birthday, so I got to try it. It's really boring. The basic concept of the plot and gameplay is good, but the execution is incredibly generic.

And Zack, the knight, is a total creeper. I have no idea how Toki/Towa can stand him. And Toki/Towa's friends are useless.

This would have worked better as a shorter arcade-style thing.

Annoyingly, the actual concept art is gorgeous.

But yeah, basically, it's really bare-bones, the characters are flat and are barely even archetypes and the story is absolutely nothing special. As an anime movie, it could work, but the roundtable discussions are just really annoying after a while. Rarely they may have worked, but it's used way too frequently to the point of being really obvious padding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Legokid3000



Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up. Your review made it very clear to me that in a world with limited time, I don't want to waste any of it on this game.

Sounded like a neat idea in concept. It's a shame that it was executed so poorly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3297
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
yikes so this game is that horrible?? Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame. I had high hopes for this game but nothing can be done about it I suppose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame.


Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4141

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe this game is just really bad. Every review says the graphics are bad, the gameplay is terribly clunky, the plot is bad, the characters are vapid archetypes...

Face it, man. This game is a masturbatory aid that fails at being one, much less a game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The graphics seem pretty beautiful to me, actually. I know most reviewers dislike anime aesthetic, but that's no reason to say the graphics suck. The graphics are one of the major selling points for me. They remind me of this old Sega Saturn game called Tengai Makyou I loved, though this is obviously a lot better.

And complaining about archetypes and cliches is always a flimsy negative because it only gets brought up when you want to fill a checklist since every game uses those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
There's probably legitimate issues with the game, but it can be awfully hard to tell exactly how bad a game is from reviews and comments, because gamers tend to launch into epic bouts of hyperbole whenever they don't like something. It's probably Zero Punctuation's fault.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, though, so I dunno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 1901

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really play out all that interestingly. I think I'm going to pass on this.

The potential with the dragons in the story is also wasted, as per the norm with this sort of thing. Poor Drake, he doesn't need a pervert inside his body. He's adorable just being a cute little dragon. He also looks much better in the original art. His in-game design looks so laughably bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 873
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame.


Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
Blatant fan service in lieu of actual plot IS a bad thing. Sexuality =/= Fan Service, by the way, mate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 715
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
yikes so this game is that horrible?? Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame. I had high hopes for this game but nothing can be done about it I suppose.


It's bad but it's by no means as bad as people make it to be.

They are numerous issues but I'd say the biggest, for the most part, are between two things: Company expectations and fan expectations.

Epoch hyped it when they really shouldn't have.
Fans bought it, feeling disappointed when they got it.

tl;dr- Overhype brought the game down. It's an okay job for a first attempt but they ARE flaws. Pretty glaring flaws, at that. However; they were decisions made that sort of bit them in the back. "HD Animation RPG" as a tagline for one.

Sadly, because this sold like crap, the possibility of getting a better game that shared the style (with more budget, really) is pretty unlikely. Its a shame as the concept's pretty cool and a lot of the ideas are very nice but brought down by the overall package.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dimlos



Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 225

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
So there are people that will even come to the defense of trash like this game. Crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 225
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lynx Amali"]
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:


They are numerous issues but I'd say the biggest, for the most part, are between two things: Company expectations and fan expectations.

Epoch hyped it when they really shouldn't have.
Fans bought it, feeling disappointed when they got it.

tl;dr- Overhype brought the game down. It's an okay job for a first attempt but they ARE flaws. Pretty glaring flaws, at that. However; they were decisions made that sort of bit them in the back. "HD Animation RPG" as a tagline for one.

Sadly, because this sold like crap, the possibility of getting a better game that shared the style (with more budget, really) is pretty unlikely. Its a shame as the concept's pretty cool and a lot of the ideas are very nice but brought down by the overall package.


Blame the fans who wanted tho bring this game to the U.S., that's for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 715
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:


Blame the fans who wanted tho bring this game to the U.S., that's for sure.


More like blame all the fans who expected some nigh perfect product. This should've been the expected result. It was Epoch's first attempt at anything like this.

So no, you don't just blame the fans who wanted it in English. Blame the people who had high expectations when this was a first attempt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group