• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
One wonders if some other company with a much larger budget and talent pool will be willing to try and tackle this whole animated RPG concept.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
This game has the most generic modern anime art style I've ever seen. If I saw those characters designs in a new season preview chart I'd immediately resolve to not watch it.

Edit: I just watched a video of this to see what Todd was talking about with the animation, and dear God it looks hideous. It's like watching a super low-budget zero-effort anime that's been converted into Flash, circa 2005.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
My cousin preordered a copy of this for my birthday, so I got to try it. It's really boring. The basic concept of the plot and gameplay is good, but the execution is incredibly generic.

And Zack, the knight, is a total creeper. I have no idea how Toki/Towa can stand him. And Toki/Towa's friends are useless.

This would have worked better as a shorter arcade-style thing.

Annoyingly, the actual concept art is gorgeous.

But yeah, basically, it's really bare-bones, the characters are flat and are barely even archetypes and the story is absolutely nothing special. As an anime movie, it could work, but the roundtable discussions are just really annoying after a while. Rarely they may have worked, but it's used way too frequently to the point of being really obvious padding.
KevinPennyfeather
Red-Obsessed Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up. Your review made it very clear to me that in a world with limited time, I don't want to waste any of it on this game.

Sounded like a neat idea in concept. It's a shame that it was executed so poorly.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
yikes so this game is that horrible?? Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame. I had high hopes for this game but nothing can be done about it I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame.

Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe this game is just really bad. Every review says the graphics are bad, the gameplay is terribly clunky, the plot is bad, the characters are vapid archetypes...

Face it, man. This game is a masturbatory aid that fails at being one, much less a game
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The graphics seem pretty beautiful to me, actually. I know most reviewers dislike anime aesthetic, but that's no reason to say the graphics suck. The graphics are one of the major selling points for me. They remind me of this old Sega Saturn game called Tengai Makyou I loved, though this is obviously a lot better.

And complaining about archetypes and cliches is always a flimsy negative because it only gets brought up when you want to fill a checklist since every game uses those.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
There's probably legitimate issues with the game, but it can be awfully hard to tell exactly how bad a game is from reviews and comments, because gamers tend to launch into epic bouts of hyperbole whenever they don't like something. It's probably Zero Punctuation's fault.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, though, so I dunno.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really play out all that interestingly. I think I'm going to pass on this.

The potential with the dragons in the story is also wasted, as per the norm with this sort of thing. Poor Drake, he doesn't need a pervert inside his body. He's adorable just being a cute little dragon. He also looks much better in the original art. His in-game design looks so laughably bad.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame.

Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
Blatant fan service in lieu of actual plot IS a bad thing. Sexuality =/= Fan Service, by the way, mate.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
yikes so this game is that horrible?? Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame. I had high hopes for this game but nothing can be done about it I suppose.

It's bad but it's by no means as bad as people make it to be.

They are numerous issues but I'd say the biggest, for the most part, are between two things: Company expectations and fan expectations.

Epoch hyped it when they really shouldn't have.
Fans bought it, feeling disappointed when they got it.

tl;dr- Overhype brought the game down. It's an okay job for a first attempt but they ARE flaws. Pretty glaring flaws, at that. However; they were decisions made that sort of bit them in the back. "HD Animation RPG" as a tagline for one.

Sadly, because this sold like crap, the possibility of getting a better game that shared the style (with more budget, really) is pretty unlikely. Its a shame as the concept's pretty cool and a lot of the ideas are very nice but brought down by the overall package.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So there are people that will even come to the defense of trash like this game. Crazy.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lynx Amali"]

They are numerous issues but I'd say the biggest, for the most part, are between two things: Company expectations and fan expectations.

Epoch hyped it when they really shouldn't have.
Fans bought it, feeling disappointed when they got it.

tl;dr- Overhype brought the game down. It's an okay job for a first attempt but they ARE flaws. Pretty glaring flaws, at that. However; they were decisions made that sort of bit them in the back. "HD Animation RPG" as a tagline for one.

Sadly, because this sold like crap, the possibility of getting a better game that shared the style (with more budget, really) is pretty unlikely. Its a shame as the concept's pretty cool and a lot of the ideas are very nice but brought down by the overall package.

Blame the fans who wanted tho bring this game to the U.S., that's for sure.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Blame the fans who wanted tho bring this game to the U.S., that's for sure.

More like blame all the fans who expected some nigh perfect product. This should've been the expected result. It was Epoch's first attempt at anything like this.

So no, you don't just blame the fans who wanted it in English. Blame the people who had high expectations when this was a first attempt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7