• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metal Gear's Shinkawa Draws Pacific Rim Poster & Japan's Creators Laud Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
I... want... that... poster... Cool
Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I... want... that... poster... 8-)

Well you're in luck:

https://www.facebook.com/RegalEntertainmentGroup

Quote:
See Pacific Rim in RealD 3D starting July 12th and receive this Regal exclusive Limited Edition poster designed by Yoji Shinkawa, Art Director of Metal Gear Solid!

Get movie tickets & showtimes: http://regmovi.es/12gyoJt

*While supplies last.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, that's a lot of big Japanese video game/anime industry names praising Pacific Rim! All the more reason for me to go check it out...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. I was already hyped up for this movie but now my excitement levels are through the roof! There's so many people that I respect praising the heck out of this movie!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well you're in luck:

I thank you VERY much for this, but unfortunately this company does not support my nearby theater.....
Unless, by some chance, when they play its sole 3D running tomorrow they'll have posters too.
Hard to know.
Again, thank you very much. Very Happy
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I heard this movie is basically a rip off of Evangelion without the deep religious philosophy. If it is I would rather see a live action Eva film then a knockoff.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
I heard this movie is basically a rip off of Evangelion without the deep religious philosophy. If it is I would rather see a live action Eva film then a knockoff.

x_x I dun have any interest either, but I dunno if it rips off Eva. The creator said he ripped off a bunch of other mecha anime just not Eva. It's got a 60% on Rotten Tomatos from the critics. The first Transformers movie got a better score..... >_> That's not a reassuring sign.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

While I haven't seen the movie, I really, really doubt it's an Eva rip-off. First of all, the pilots aren't teenagers (which is pretty important to the plot of Eva).

Secondly, as far as we know the robots in the film are...well. spoiler[actual robots.]

Third, the mechs are piloted by teams of two that are mind-linked in some way, which is pretty different from how the mechs work in NGE (although the pilot does 'mind link" with the Eva itself).

Fourth, the movie's heavily advertised that it's a very "international" movie--you've got an American team, a Japanese team, a Russian team, etc. Eva focused only on Japan.

Honestly I think saying this is a rip-off of Evangelion is like saying that Power Rangers is. They fight big monsters in giant robots. That seems to be the extent of the similarities.

(I might be totally wrong, of course. But that's the feel I'm getting.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
EVA has no religious philosophy. Anno went on record saying the symbols were just stuff added to look edgy. It'd be like me slapping Taoist imagery in a crime drama because it looks foreign to Americans.

Also, please, please, PLEASE let this movie beat Grown Ups 2 at the box office. Please.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem for some of the younger Western anime fans is that their main introduction to big mecha battles with monsters is EVA, so anything they see similar is in their mind a rip-off.

On a separate note, I'm quite excited that all these big names in the Japanese industry are praising this film.
It would have been quite easy for them to dismiss this film as your typical special effect galore Hollywood ordeal, but hopefully this means there is more to it than that.

Can't wait to watch it now!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:

x_x I dun have any interest either, but I dunno if it rips off Eva. The creator said he ripped off a bunch of other mecha anime just not Eva. It's got a 60% on Rotten Tomatos from the critics. The first Transformers movie got a better score..... >_> That's not a reassuring sign.

75%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013/

Also, a lot of celebrity outpouring. Maybe because no one really likes Adam Sandler.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Did the Japanese correct the Japanese in the newcast part? I remember seeing it in the original trailer and thought to myself "did they babelfish that?"
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought this looked like a typical American superficial robot CGI-fest akin to Transformers (even with Del Toro at the helm), and was kind of embarassed that it was being made (like Transformers), but all these Japanese creators are praising it? Then again, didn't they praise Transformers...? And didn't, what was it, Battleship, make almost all of its money overseas? (I'm just going off of what I think I remember here, so don't quote me on this)

I'm slightly more inclined to want to see it since it's getting praise from creators that I respect, but they definitely tend to praise stuff that we regard as genuine crap, just because high-budget American blockbusters aren't something that they're quite as good at and accustomed to over there.

I dunno, we'll see...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Megumi Hayashibara as Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)

Why is Megumi dubbing over a fellow Japanese? Confused
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I see people claiming that something rips off Evangelion I cringe a little bit.

Space Runaway Ideon, Gundam, Getter Robo were among its victims in the first place.

Not to mention sci-fi novels like Childhood's End, among many others.

I'm not saying those series I mentioned above are completely original either, but yeah, Evangelion didn't exactly invent the wheel. The original series had a good mixture of rehased stuff + original and I really enjoyed it back then. Nowadays the movies hit rock bottom with 3.0 (I liked the first two) by ironically trying to stray away from its roots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4