• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CMS

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Do you read Shonen Jump? I do and i like it. My favorites are DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.
John Jakala

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep, just read #6 last night. My favorites so far are Yu Yu and Sandland. I also like some of the filler articles, esp. "Manga Explorer." This issue they covered a manga called "Pretty Face" that sounds pretty interesting/twisted/bizarre. I'd love to see it translated for SJ.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:26 pm Reply with quote
been a subscriber since issue 2 so far im liking everything but DBZ and sandland i dont even bother reading them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aurora

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I love Shonen Jump. Yeah, I like everything in there at least to a certain extent.

For Issue 6, I liked the OTHER Manga explorer more- On Mind Assassin. Ir sounds cool. Pretty Face did sound pretty twisted....

Actually, I think Viz has the rights to Rurouni Kenshin. We just have to wait and see if they release it in Graphic Novels, Shonen Jump, or both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm only reading it for YYH. Most of it's pretty much either guys fighting with fists or games. Hopefully when Sandland's finished, they'll have something noteworthy to keep me interested.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:26 am Reply with quote
Just started getting my subscriptiong - but I have been reading it since volume one. Just about all of the manga's featured in it I like, some of which I would not have read had I not seen them in Jump first.
MoonShadowvh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Come on, DBZ and SandLand aren't that bad. They're actually pretty good. I used to hate DBZ, but after I read it in SJ, I like it. SandLand was a bit boring at first, but now, it's starting to get pretty interesting....
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Is naruto in there? What else besides what you listed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
animaniac wrote:
Is naruto in there? What else besides what you listed?
Naruto started in issue 2.

whats in it is YYU, Sand land, DBZ, Shaman King, Yugi ohand One piece
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tamashi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:55 pm Reply with quote
yep. i read it. i'm planning to buy the newset issue(#6) tomorrow. my favorites are naruto, one piece and shaman king.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy Shonen Jump has become translated into English. Now I am able to read a variety of new manga (and the Manga Explorer is awesome. Pretty Face and Hunter x Hunter are my hopes for SJ later on.). My favorites are Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and Shaman King. I also heard RUROUNI KENSHIN is next after Sandland. SWEET!!!
Aurora

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Remember, we don't know yet though. We know there's an article for it in Issue 7, out in June, but whether that will shed some light on the mystery, who knows?

All we know so far is the Viz has the rights. You never know, they might release it straight to Graphic Novels. But, as I'm sure people know already, Rurouni Kenshin in SJ can potentially increase the readership by... a lot. A whole lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Case

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Aurora wrote:
But, as I'm sure people know already, Rurouni Kenshin in SJ can potentially increase the readership by... a lot. A whole lot.

I'm not so sure about that.

My gut instinct tells me that most of the people who would be drawn to SJ if Kenshin was published in it, would be people who are already Kenshin fans. And since Kenshin has been a staple in American anime fandom for a number of years now, I think that most of those people (if they follow the anime industry at all) will probably already know about SJ.

Sure, there are a certain number of uninitiated fans now, thanks to the anime broadcast on Cartoon Network. And yes, there are quite a few who have begged for the manga to be published in English. But I just don't think there are enough of those two kinds of people to "increase readership by ... a lot", per se.

The way I see it, people who are interested in reading manga are mostly already reading it, and the people within that group who are interested in the kind of benefits SJ offers are probably already reading SJ. I don't think any one particular serial - Kenshin or anything else - can change SJ's market very much all on its own.

I might *want* to believe that as a fan, but logistically it just doesn't work out. SJ already has YuGiOh and DBZ and, although a lot of fans would rather die than admit it, those series are heavy hitters. DBZ, in particular, probably made more money in this country in the past two years than Kenshin will in the next twenty.

That's just my hunch. I guess we'll just have to see, eh?
Aurora

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:39 pm Reply with quote
yeah... after all, its its being put in SJ, I think they'll be leaving it until after Sandlad has finished...
thatismynoodle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken SJ is trying to stick to a younger audience, and isn't Rurouni Kenshin something that wouldn't go well with American ristrictions?

I personally love SJ...I highly enjoy all of the stories except dbz. I of course wouldn't mind another story being added at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2