• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where can I buy GitS2 UK R2 DVD?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I fixed my all region player and figured out why it wasn't working.. Apparently, since both the DVD player and satellite box are plugged into the same sound system, the frequencies of the remote controls can crossover.

And when I had both of them on, the satellite remote accidentally changed the video mode of the player, hence my problem. Ha, ha!~.... Embarassed. Ahem, right, anyway...

So now that I can watch DVDs from any region again, could one of you nice folks out there direct me to a site that sells this? I'd also appreciate a site with the lowest price as well as some kind of conversion chart for pounds to US dollars, or any other info you think would help me in this purchase. Thanks!
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but I have no idea what £14.99 converts to in US dollars. Is that the lowest price available on the Internet? Also, I've never ordered from any Amazon site Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. How exactly does it work? Thanks in advance.
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
14.99 euro = 18.0963 american. Whenever I have to convert money, I use this place.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

$18 isn't that bad. But I couldn't find anything about there shipping rates. Amazon is really easy to use and set up. The marketplace is full a bootlegs, but is you can sift through the crap, you can find some great deals. I'm a loyal Amazon guy. So, I usually buy off them. I guess It all depends on weather you want a new item or a used. I usually go for the used item.

Or, there is always that fiery pit of hell called ebay Twisted Evil

Edit- Is that the Euro symbol? I always get them mixed up.

Edit again- Dammit, that is the pound symbol. Ok. Damn. 24.68. Maybe its not that good. Sorry.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The Euro symbol is Alt - 0128 €
Pounds (money) is Alt - 0163 £
Yens is Alt - 0165 ¥ and Cents is Alt - 0162 ¢

As to how much £14.99 is, it changes day to day. A general rule of thumb is that £ are twice as much as $ or UK money is worth twice as much as U.S. money is. As well, if your using a debit card you often get slapped with conversion fees and that might be true for credit cards but I don't know (I don't have a credit card).

So lets use my order as a test. I used a debit/check card and I pre-ordered this disk so it only cost £12.76. The shipping/handling was £3.08, for a total of £15.84 (look for AmazonUK's shipping (the delivery rates for AmazonUK are here - just remember if you don't live in the United Kingdom, your shipping will be under International).

According to my bank statement, the transaction looks like it happened on March 8th [that or Feb 27th or Feb 5th (using my notification emails for dates), but the rate wasn't that different on the first two dates, while it was about 50¢ more on Feb 5th]. So, using this currency converster http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic (I use this one and the one listed earlier but in this case, this converter can do the exchange rate on any day in the past you want to put into it), the rate of exchange was 15.84 British Pound = 27.60342 US Dollar. So it should have been $27.60 before fees but my total on the bank statement was $51.44, so it looks like the fees were $23.84 Confused. BTW, the I knew the fees for debit cards were really bad and it seems they were, though I actually prepared for it being worse than it was Sad.

Anyway, I thought buying the disk was worth it overall. The packaging and extras out shine the R1 release by miles and that's not including the dub. Looking at that fee I won't be doing to much DVD shopping in the UK in the future but I do know I found AmazonUK to be reliable, so I would recomend it for anyone who wants to get a R2 release Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1