• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Re: Kare Kano

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:07 pm Reply with quote
There is definitely an "edit" in volume 4. (Though, it really depends on what you are calling an edit and what you are calling changes in the tv version vs the home release.)
Spoiler stuffs
spoiler[On the fansubs, during the love scene...you get still shots of clothes on the floor, Arima and Yukino holding hands, their faces....nothing graphic, just still shots. On the R1 DVDs, you kinda get this dreamy montage of memories with a voiceover.]

I think the Right Stuf discs have the TV version and the fansubs were of the LD home release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, this is something like the umpteenth time something like this has happened. A domestic anime company uses the masters for the broadcast version of an anime series instead of the ones used for the LDs and the fans are all OH NO AN EDIT, CEN$$$OR$$.

I can't name any examples off the top of my head, but I KNOW it's happened before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...there was a big "to-do" about it on the AoD forums. Right Stuf said they didn't edit anything and they put out exactly what Gainax had given them. (IIRC, Right Stuf wasn't even aware that there were different versions.)

I don't find it to be that big of a deal. *shrug* It's not even five minutes of footage that was changed out of a 26-episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Considering the show was already "edited" from the manga version-at least according to the author who wanted it cancelled, I don't see the problem. Anyway, since this is the Ms. Answerman thread, I just wanted to add that one of the reasons Battle Royale hasn't been picked up was Toei's asking price was too high, and now I've been told by Patrick Macias that it's no longer for sale. (Although BR2 is getting international distribution rights as we speak.)
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I also have something to say to Ms. Answerman. In one of her colums, she said that Blue Gender was starting August 2nd. Actually, it's August 4th at 12:30 a.m. FLCL will be airing the same day, only at 12:00 a.m.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:44 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
To my knowledge, this is something like the umpteenth time something like this has happened. A domestic anime company uses the masters for the broadcast version of an anime series instead of the ones used for the LDs and the fans are all OH NO AN EDIT, CEN$$$OR$$.

I can't name any examples off the top of my head, but I KNOW it's happened before.
Sakura Diarys but granted we did get the LD version evently.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Considering the show was already "edited" from the manga version-at least according to the author who wanted it cancelled, I don't see the problem.

The author wanted the show cancelled or just that scene? Was that scene not in the book? (I found it out of place considering the softness level that the story has followed so far. )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1