• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Noir Blu-ray Box to Include English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
That sounds too amazing - love to have this set along with the Ergo Proxy, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, and Darker Than Black S1 BDs that FUNi has decided to completely ignore...
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Huh interesting am I to assume it's the ADV Films dub or is it one of those dubs produced somewhere in Asia or something?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
As well it should! It's a very good dub. It was this dub in particular that made me fall head-over-heels for Ms. Shelley Calene-Black.

You remember how in Wayne's World whenever Wayne fantasized about Cassandra, "Dream Weaver" would start playing in the background? That's pretty much how I am everytime I hear Shelley's voice. Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The box will include all 26 episodes (via a high-resolution HD telecine from 35mm film) and video bonus extras on four discs.
Huh, I thought for sure this was a digipaint show (Spring 2001 airdate) and that the Blu-Rays would be SD upscales. Guess that's even better for Blu-Ray buyers, then.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
Did they do digital ink but then still print out film reels for storage at the time?
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Haven't noticed any tweets from Yuki Kajiura or Chiaki Ishikawa about this - their music was an important contribution.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
Picked up this series back when ADV released it on DVD. Really enjoyed it (as well as Madlax). Wouldn't mind having it on BD, but the 34,800 yen price tag (if I read that portion of the article correctly) is more than a wee bit out of my price range. Hopefully, after a spell it will see a BD release in N.A.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Huh interesting am I to assume it's the ADV Films dub or is it one of those dubs produced somewhere in Asia or something?
I've never heard of an Asian dub for this show, but even if there was one I can guarantee they're talking about the ADV dub. It's not the first time this has happened. They also did it with Haruhi and Lucky Star's Blu-ray boxes.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
They also did it with Haruhi and Lucky Star's Blu-ray boxes.

Neither of which have been released by R1.

I bought the Lucky Star box set (an upscale, by the way), and I don't regret the purchase, but it's rather pathetic the series still hasn't been released on bluray locally.

If this is where the industry is heading, it's taking 4 steps backward.

When a series was released once, the excuse of reverse importation fears are no longer viable.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that many fans have favorite shows that they would be willing to pay the Japanese premium price for. This would be one of those for me. Remastered from a 35 mm print and the original dub? Sign me up!

(Although I still wonder if the Japanese producers of this box set would be willing to license it out to other markets once they meet their initial sales goals.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Well i hope they did included the ADV Films version and not those Animax Asia crapshoots . it would be a real chance for those fans to like the US dub projects .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Did they do digital ink but then still print out film reels for storage at the time?

Pretty sure Noir was hand painted cels. Based on what production cels I've seen for sale around the net they're usually painted. I kind of want this Bluray but it's a little expensive for me....35mm Print converted would be a sight to see!
NGK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
noir was my first exposure to high-def anime back in 2004 when it was exclusively shown on inHD cable channel Cool
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Another title in which Japan doesn't want my money. First Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex/Second Gig now one of my old time favorites from the past gets a English Dub on the imports but no English subtitles?

The price is not a problem but as a person not into dubs if I am forced to pay Japanese pricing the dam thing better have English subtitles.

I'm such a huge fan of Noir this is another let down, since I doubt they will ever re-release the show domestically on Blu-Ray.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
AHHHHHH YES!

But...I already have this on DVD. No need to wish for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2