• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Box: Thoughts?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else checked this out yet? Thoughts? Honestly, from the series they've rolled out thus far they seem to have a solid lineup for the most part with the only really weak ones being Spoof on Titan and High School Girl Ninja Otonashi-san. School Landlord Honoka seems to be off to a good start. Peephole and High Rise Invasion both pull of horror quite well. The other main standout on the app seems to be Billion Dogs with terrific artwork. The remainder of the titles seem to be solid for the most part. I'm curious about the remaining titles which are going to be launching in the coming days particularly In a Heartbeat and Horizon which claims to be about the life of Ghengis Kahn a person I've wanted to learn more about.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying it, especially for being free. There are a few titles I love, several titles that are ok (i'm giving them a try) and a few I don't think I like.

I got to ask though. The manga I can't ride a bicycle! Is probably my favorite in the magazine, but in issue 2 of the magazine they give us chapter 3. So we have chapter 1 and 3, and missing chapter 2. what happened?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
About halfway through the first chapter that was released, it said "And now, the second part of the one-shot!" It seems they counted that as two chapters.

So far, In a Heartbeat is my favorite and I'm not even a BL fan. It has nice, simple art that's a lot different than the typical art found in BL. My favorite comedy is Can't Ride a Bike. It was cute and made me chuckle a few times. A few other series were interesting or cute, and I'll follow at least 5 long term (hopefully the app is successful and lasts long term). That's pretty good for new free manga.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
About halfway through the first chapter that was released, it said "And now, the second part of the one-shot!" It seems they counted that as two chapters.

So far, In a Heartbeat is my favorite and I'm not even a BL fan. It has nice, simple art that's a lot different than the typical art found in BL. My favorite comedy is Can't Ride a Bike. It was cute and made me chuckle a few times. A few other series were interesting or cute, and I'll follow at least 5 long term (hopefully the app is successful and lasts long term). That's pretty good for new free manga.

In a Heartbeat is easily my favorite too. They added 2 more titles which will premiere in the magazine on Monday: Logick and I was Human. I'm probably enjoying My Grandpa's Stories Can't be This Weird more than I should be.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
I just tried Manga Box for the first time because I am a big fan of "The Kindaichi Case Files" and they have the related series "Kindaichi Case Files: Takato's Side."
It looks like a nice site and it has some interesting titles. I have not yet read anything except the beginning of "Kindaichi Case Files: Takato's Side" but I will definitely be sampling some others.

My only problem with it is the problem that I have with all digital manga, I do not have a tablet or iPhone so I have to read the books on my home computer, which is not very convenient or comfortable. But since it is free I can tolerate that. And when I eventually do get a better platform for it I will get a lot more use from the site.

EDIT: I just took a quick look at "NadeNadeShikoShiko" and "Schoolgirl Landlord Honoka" and they both seem to have the potential to be my kind of manga.
Yes, I do like that stuff.Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading Spoof on Titan and enjoying that. There may be other titles that would interest me, but I don't care for reading on the computer (always prefer books) and I'm also impatient when it comes to returning each week/month/etc for a new bite of continuing story (never got hooked on many webcomics for that reason).

As far as I can tell, only the first and the latest chapters of a series are available on MangaBox, right? None of the in-between ones, so it's pretty much required to check back regularly?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
As far as I can tell, only the first and the latest chapters of a series are available on MangaBox, right? None of the in-between ones, so it's pretty much required to check back regularly?

I did not notice yesterday because I was just checking some of the first chapters to see what they were like.
Unfortunately it seems that you are correct. All that I can access are the first chapter and the latest chapter.
That really kills my enthusiasm for MangaBox, especially since I am already way behind on the titles that look most interesting.

This seems really stupid to me. It is like the whole site is just a teaser, an advertisement that is supposed to make me want to buy something.
But what?
I do not see anything that looks like a link to a subscription page, or another site, where I could read everything.

If this is all that there is to it then it is a total failure for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
lys wrote:

I did not notice yesterday because I was just checking some of the first chapters to see what they were like.
Unfortunately it seems that you are correct. All that I can access are the first chapter and the latest chapter.
That really kills my enthusiasm for MangaBox, especially since I am already way behind on the titles that look most interesting.

This seems really stupid to me. It is like the whole site is just a teaser, an advertisement that is supposed to make me want to buy something.
But what?
I do not see anything that looks like a link to a subscription page, or another site, where I could read everything.

If this is all that there is to it then it is a total failure for me.

I haven't really tried reading Manga Box via my laptop often. The only way to read back chapters is on a mobile device. (i.e.Tablet, Cellphone, etc.) If I remember correct they said the last 12 issues will be available. Also, it's free. I don't know what they intend to do about compiled volumes in English though. Does that help?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I haven't really tried reading Manga Box via my laptop often. The only way to read back chapters is on a mobile device. (i.e.Tablet, Cellphone, etc.) If I remember correct they said the last 12 issues will be available. Also, it's free. I don't know what they intend to do about compiled volumes in English though. Does that help?

Yes, that definitely does help, thank you.
It never occurred to me that the mobile apps would be able to access content that was not on the web site.

I apologize to the people at Manga box for calling it stupid.
It does seem strange to me that they do not have access to the other chapters through the web site. But they must have some reason for it.

I will just have to add Manga Box to the list of things that might be of use to me sometime in the future, and forget about it for now.
Though I probably will check the site occasionally to see if they change their policy about the other chapters.

Thanks again for the information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1