• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steins;Gate PC Game's English Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
...the Japanese dub of Steins;Gate was not meant to be heard with the show. It was intended to be a placeholder until Funimation's infinitely superior dub came out.

The Japanese actor who voiced Okarin must not have been properly briefed on his character as he played it so wrong while Tatum played it so "right".

That the Japanese actresses were subpar is surprising as the modern actress merely voices a stereotype-instead of acting out a character-(c/o the otaku oligarchy's lame fetishes) and each and every female "character" in Steins;Gate was a rote "2d" stereotype.

...ANN, would it have been too much to have put "English Subtitled" trailer in the title? Then I would have never clicked on this as there wouldn't have been a "hope against hope". I'd almost repressed this crushing disappointment of a dub...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
...the Japanese dub of Steins;Gate was not meant to be heard with the show. It was intended to be a placeholder until Funimation's infinitely superior dub came out.

The Japanese actor who voiced Okarin must not have been properly briefed on his character as he played it so wrong while Tatum played it so "right".

That the Japanese actresses were subpar is surprising as the modern actress merely voices a stereotype-instead of acting out a character-(c/o the otaku oligarchy's lame fetishes) and each and every female "character" in Steins;Gate was a rote "2d" stereotype.

...ANN, would it have been too much to have put "English Subtitled" trailer in the title? Then I would have never clicked on this as there wouldn't have been a "hope against hope". I'd almost repressed this crushing disappointment of a dub...

I really hope this is sarcasm, which it kind of looks like but on text it's easy to mistake. spoiler[Steins;Gate english dub was one of the better ones in recent time but that isn't saying much given how bad english dubs are lately. Most importantly, the Japanese dub was not bad in any way or form. Okarin's JP voice fit his character PERFECTLY, while Tatum was very forced in his attempt. I will say that some characters are ANNOYING but they were kind of written that way. Mayuri was really unrealistic in her personality to begin with, so everything about her including her voice irritated me (which happens a lot with that type of character, regardless of the VA).

If they played their characters "so wrong" they could've easily replaced them in the anime, they used the same seiyuu the game did. The Japanese clearly felt they had a perfectly fine cast, and they did. You're entitled to your opinion but in terms of legit acting ability, the English dub was rather low end. Tatum (as always) sounded forced, stiff, and like he was performing at a high school play rather than in a professional dub. Funimation has been deteriorated from where they were 10 years ago with their actors. Especially when they mispronounce character names at least twice in every other anime now days...]
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

You've got to be kidding right? Okarin's Japanese voice is fantastic. Absolutely perfect for Okabe. Mayuri has one of the best female seiyuu in the business right now, and so does Suzuha.

Crushing disappointment of a dub my foot, it's infinitely superior to any dub Funimation could ever put out.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad I preordered this! Too bad the release keeps getting delayed though.

As for the dub/sub debate in this thread...The sub sounds fine to me! When I watched the series I watched the dub since I was watching it with my dad, and I really liked the dub as well. It is one of the better dubs in my opinion, but I do miss Okabe's Engrish!

Also, how come Daru never gets any spotlight in these trailers, he is an important character after all, and one of the only 2 who hardly got any screen time in the trailer.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

As much as I'm inclined to agree that the English dub of Steins;Gate was fantastic, why would you bring up something that has little relevance to the article? Seems to me that you're intentionally trying to start ANOTHER dub/sub argument.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

If Tatum played it right, he would've known that when Okabe does his mad scientist laugh or shouts, "Hououin Kyouma!" he needed to dial his performance up to 11. Instead he kept it at 5. That's a complete fail at understanding the character.
MCAL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I lol'd! Laughing
(And this guy has over 1000 posts? Shocked )
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Passing on the PC game for now. I'll likely have to pay a massive amount to own the limited edition in the future, but my main focus is collecting all of the BD singles and the movie.

I haven't heard the English dub yet. I'd really like to some day.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Passing on the PC game for now. I'll likely have to pay a massive amount to own the limited edition in the future, but my main focus is collecting all of the BD singles and the movie.

I haven't heard the English dub yet. I'd really like to some day.

You can get the limited edition for only $47.96 at Rightstuf plus shipping. If you want it, get it NOW. JAST has almost run out of pre-orders. If you wait, you'll only be able to get the standard edition in April which costs $40.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I don't even know why you are complaining about the anime when the article title clearly states "PC Game".
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
It can scare me sometimes how much I love this franchise. I spend way too much time fascinated by Steins;Gate. Now I know it's reached that "special" level for me.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Both the subbed and dubbed performances of Steins;Gate are great! spoiler[Miyano's Okabe is funnier because of the over the top performance and even more so because of the Engrish. But I liked Tatum's somehow controlled take on Okabe, because as we find out later on, he is only putting up a front (as well as just about everyone else, except for Daru - he's an open book). Okabe is not as insane as he makes himself out to be. So yeah, both versions are awesome! I don't find anyone triumphing over the other aside from Tyson Rinehart, he sounded amazing as Daru!]

Anyway, let's not make this into a dub/sub debate. When I first opened this article, I was already expecting this to be just a subtitle release. The trailer dialogue sounded flat and just doesn't compare to the TV version, but I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced the game myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1