• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 3-9

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Yay for AnoHana, the movie was really good, even my friend who didn't saw the TV series like it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Arpeggio of Blue Steel > Kill La Kill
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
K-on! still selling well even after all this time
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

That is rather amazing. I wonder what bonus items come with this release.
I am not saying that people need to be bribed to buy it.Smile
K-On! is one of my favorite shows, but I would think that by now all of the fans would already own the Blu-rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
K-On! is one of my favorite shows, but I would think that by now all of the fans would already own the Blu-rays.

I bought the K-On! Blu-ray box. It's the only purchase of mine on this week's list, unless you count last week's Monogatari release (but that was last week). For me, this K-On! purchase was triple-dipping. I imported the original K-On! series Blu-rays, but not as they were being released. I didn't own any of the けいおん! BDs until 2012, whereas I'd finished the second series imports early in 2011. Bandai's US release had Japanese audio at a quality level that was below the norm and had had once piece of music removed and replaced, and while I bought their four BD-singles, I wasn't happy with that degradation and decided to also import the series for the better audio. This new K-On! box set has the Japanese LPCM audio with Bandai US's mostly decent English subtitles, and pretty packaging. I don't think that the English dub was included...

I did end up buying the full-priced (¥26000 without tax) AmazonJP-exclusive bundle of the K-On! box (with Azusa "cloth poster"), rather than the poster-free regular release (¥20202, with tax still included). ^^;
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I Anohana has English subs I'm importing Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

You'd almost think for all the talk and hype the show gets, it'd be selling 30k copies or something.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Yay for AnoHana, the movie was really good, even my friend who didn't saw the TV series like it.

Though I have to say, those number of units that sold are rather low compared to the other late-night anime series movies like Madoka and K-ON! which sold at least 3 times as many copies especially since they all netted at least a billion yen in the box office.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

You'd almost think for all the talk and hype the show gets, it'd be selling 30k copies or something.

Maybe if the popularity in the west was relevant to anime sales.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I've heard, Little Witch Academia didn't even make a dent in Japan despite its Western popularity, so it would stand to reason that Kill la Kill would follow that trend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I've heard, Little Witch Academia didn't even make a dent in Japan despite its Western popularity, so it would stand to reason that Kill la Kill would follow that trend.

Well, if Westerners bought the show in those kinds of numbers at Japanese prices, the market would stand a chance of shifting at least a little.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Kill la kill actually did rather good in terms of sales though.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Yeah, it seems like it did pretty good anyway plus I think Kill la Kill will sell quite well here especially with a good dub.

Also, great to see Arpeggio doing so good, would love more.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Cetais wrote:

Though I have to say, those number of units that sold are rather low compared to the other late-night anime series movies like Madoka and K-ON! which sold at least 3 times as many copies especially since they all netted at least a billion yen in the box office.

Isn't the AnoHana movie a recap? I can't really see how they could do anything other than a recap other than perhaps doing a full flashback to more stories of the Super Peace Busters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

They'll buy those once those come over to the West. The J-licensors won't make as much money, but they'll likely sell more than 7,000 copies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2