• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mona Marshall, Johnny Yong Bosch Lead Doraemon Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
As annoying as the edits are going to be, I really like the cast.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't support this broadcast. Tell others not to support it. What they're doing is horrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
My hope is that this will introduce a new generation to anime, the way horribly mutilated English dubbed shows of the past did.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thought that sounded like JYB from the last trailer! With a cast like this I can't pass this up, Im looking forward to it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Like the cast and the promo, but am concerned with how Disney XD will treat this show. They did Naruto Shippuden no favors and practically sat on the license for a good while. Want to see good advertising and make it worth it.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My hope is that this will introduce a new generation to anime, the way horribly mutilated English dubbed shows of the past did.

>This dub
>horribly mutilated

They all sound identical to the original VA's.

We had to sit through amateurish crap like how Cardcaptor Sakura was handled back in Kids' WB. Remember when some episodes were missing and they changed the story a bit?

Kids are lucky enough to access Neon Alley, Crunchyroll, etc. we HAD to endure it.
yappers4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Don't support this broadcast. Tell others not to support it. What they're doing is horrible.

I can understand censoring violence and suggestive themes, but for goodness sake, the censorship whiners need to let it go. Whether the edits were necessary or not, the target demographic are children and tweens. Yes, we are all aware of what edits were made and most are certain they have their reasons for doing so or otherwise they wouldn't have been made. But just because a few measly edits, don't cry or pout over it and spread it to others to get them to join in your pouting party.

With that out of the way, I have never heard JYB scream like that. Laughing
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Don't think you're going to get much support there.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Horrible is a strong word. This is totally not that big of a deal. This is pretty much the equivalent of Scooby Doo or, I dunno, Rugrats being edited for another country.

Regardless, we're so not it's target audience. Our participation, or lack thereof, will in no way significantly affect the ratings or the success of this show.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
To be honest it is not the Kid's that have caused Doraemon's edits.

Noooo, it's the Adults, the Parents in helicopters, and their legions of transforming robo-lawyers.

Those strike terror in the hearts of the Disney execs and their Japanese counterparts.

So, edited it will be and maybe, just maybe, some of the young ones will grow up with a curiosity inspired to seek out the original and it's Anime compatriots.

Mark Gosdin
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It's entirely irrelevant whether I'm the target audience or not. Doing things like turning bandages into pizza is unacceptable. They're insulting the art with this nonsense.

If you have to edit the show that significantly, you never should have taken the show on to begin with.

Artwork means something, no matter how juvenile. And any show, whether sophisticated or trivial, deserves to be treated with some modicum of respect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's entirely irrelevant whether I'm the target audience or not. Doing things like turning bandages into pizza is unacceptable. They're insulting the art with this nonsense.

If you have to edit the show that significantly, you never should have taken the show on to begin with.

Artwork means something, no matter how juvenile. And any show, whether sophisticated or trivial, deserves to be treated with some modicum of respect.

I might not like the edit, but taking the hate out on the dub version is not going to do anything.

I want remind you Japan did the same thing to our cartoon also when they were brought over to Japan.

Beast Wars got heavily altered for the Japanese broadcast, are you going to condemned Japan for doing these alteration like what you're doing to Doraemon?

Japan heavily edit this American video game. Look at this picture:

This is pretty much on the same level as the editing on Doraemon.

Also My Little Pony had edits done when it was shown in Japan.

Tell me how is Japan editing our stuff any better then how US did to Doraemon,

If you say what Japan does to our stuff is justfied, but condemn US for editing Doraemon. then you're a hypocrite!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Kind of a moot point when the artists are the ones who gave the ok to these edits, and might have even edited it themselves. If they were not okay with whatever changes were needed, then they had every right not to greenlight this dub.

And thats not even taking into consideration the numerous edits that take place when manga are adapted into anime that happen all the time, and yet those are hardly ever called out. This is hardly an America-only deal.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
A legendary VA for a legendary character

Don't know what to say about the crazy censors: It's inevitable. Sadly.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
"All data deleted." Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5