• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo's Kanto Area Crowns Its Hottest High School Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna say something, but the jokes come too easy.

Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw that picture, I thought it was a new boy band from Johnny's Entertainment. But after reading the article, I almost got fooled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Too cute! Some very attractive guys there. I feel so old Anime cry
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This post reminds me that anime animators sometimes draw 15/16 year old guys that look like 25...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. Satō, whose dream is to be the next Kamen Rider,

No wonder he won
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
@Enurtsol: After looking at these pictures, I think some of them don't look under 18 (then again, we Asian tend to look younger then our ages).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Genn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or do they all have the same haircut?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
We'll neither of those guys would have got my vote - second from the left Very Happy

Now with the girls I would vote second row, second on the right.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
i love how Asian girls and boys can have many different hair styles. We all have the same few hairstyles in US. lol I think white guys/girls can only have 5-7 hair styles max at school. Blacks maybe 3-4 lol

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i love how Asian girls and boys can have many different hair styles. We all have the same few hair styles in US. lol I think white guys/girls can only have 5-7 hair styles max at school. Blacks maybe 3-4 lol

As somebody who works at a Japanese school, let me tell you, there are like MAYBE 3 or 4 distinct hairstyles. Max. This is a beauty pageant, of COURSE there are a wide variety of crazy hairstyles. It has nothing to do with country.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
i love how Asian girls and boys can have many different hair styles. We all have the same few hair styles in US. lol I think white guys/girls can only have 5-7 hair styles max at school. Blacks maybe 3-4 lol

As somebody who works at a Japanese school, let me tell you, there are like MAYBE 3 or 4 distinct hairstyles. Max. This is a beauty pageant, of COURSE there are a wide variety of crazy hairstyles. It has nothing to do with country.

I'm not talking about Japanese school. I'm talking about Asians. I don't know why I just saw more Asians hairstyles than black and white hairstyles for some reason.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

@Enurtsol: After looking at these pictures, I think some of them don't look under 18 (then again, we Asian tend to look younger then our ages).

As the article mentions:

• Before we say anything too malicious, we’d like to acknowledge that perceptions of beauty—or “cuteness”, in this case—can vary greatly among different cultures. However, as many Japanese netizens have pointed out, a thick mask of makeup and hair dyed brown or blonde is hardly representative of a typical Japanese high school girl, let alone a cute one.

“I had no idea Kanto wasn’t part of Japan”, quips one commenter in a thread on Japan’s largest internet message board, 2channel. “Wait. I thought this was a cute high school girl contest, not a prostitute contest…”, remarks another.

The thread is full of similar comments lamenting the lack of a single contestant who looks like an actual high school student, or “joshi-kosei” (JK); that is to say, a girl with little to no makeup and natural black hair. Most high schools in Japan have strict rules against students dying their hair, though many girls still do so as an act of defiance—and end up being called to the teacher’s room during lunch as a result.
HeavenTD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Students from Osaka Gakuen would whitewash the competition. (I kid)

I'll just leave this here for those who get the reference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGjr8m5qvU)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1