• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Girls Beat!! Idol Group Halts Shows After Warrant is Issued For Member's Yakuza Husband

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Thanks to mdo7 for the news tip

You're welcome, ANN. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like one of those ubiquitous seinen titles:

The Yakuza's Wife is an Idol!!?

Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It could also just as well have been halted when it was revealed she had a husband at all, knowing how precious the idol fans worship them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:

Laughing

I wouldn't be surprised if a seinen mang-ka makes such a series.
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It could also just as well have been halted when it was revealed she had a husband at all, knowing how precious the idol fans worship them.

Considering the mentioned previous events which got her fired, maybe they didn't think this was so high up the list...
though that would only lead to question why take her in the first place... hmmm
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:

Laughing

Or it could be a josei title, "The Idol's Husband is Yakuza". No matter how you look at it it sounds like fiction.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
How about an investigation instead of halting shows, if a member has a relative or spouse in organized crime just investigate if she was involved in any activities that would harm the group. If she turns out clean, then move on and let the police handle the rest. The US has celebrities and athletes that had relatives in gangs and they didn't really punish the celebrity if they weren't involved in the activities (and some that were escaped punishment as well).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Kago's idol career has been continually troubled since her time in Morning Musume. She was formally dropped by Hello! Project after the media published pictures of her smoking while underage and visiting a hot spring with an older man. Her past boyfriend, another Yamaguchi-gumi member, was arrested in 2011. Kago was brought in for questioning in relation to the arrest and attempted suicide five days later.

Wow, she's a very troubled young woman. She needs counseling to help her avoid making any more poor life decisions.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
If this were a manga, I'd read it. But as it is I just feel bad for her. The fact that it happened before makes me hope she can get out of these horrible relationships and choose someone better.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

How about an investigation instead of halting shows, if a member has a relative or spouse in organized crime just investigate if she was involved in any activities that would harm the group. If she turns out clean, then move on and let the police handle the rest. The US has celebrities and athletes that had relatives in gangs and they didn't really punish the celebrity if they weren't involved in the activities (and some that were escaped punishment as well).

Authority-following Japanese want their celebrities squeaky clean (i.e. nothing illegal), not even associate a gram of marijuana.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
No matter how you look at it it sounds like fiction.

Actually, that could be a title, too! Very Happy
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, the yakuza still exist? Ai Kago. Funny thing I only know about her because my 12 yr old niece who spends her days watching MM, starting looking into the older members. So she's been schooling me on some of the members. Even though I've known about the group for years (just didn't have any interest for jpop idols). But man this is some hot button craziness.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Holy crap, the yakuza still exist?

Of course. Their numbers are estimated at over one hundred thousand, and they are quite powerful. Along with legitimate businesses they run gambling houses, brothels, loan shark outfits, people smuggling, drug running, "protection" services and money laundering schemes. They've even been known to set up honey traps to blackmail corporate bigwigs and politicians for substantial sums of money. However, they do have a history of helping the general populace out after natural disasters, often mobilising manpower and providing equipment faster than the authorities.

Tl;dr: the yakuza still exist and they are doing pretty well for themselves.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well sounds like Idol world is developing cracks in its façade.

I sort blame the general public, they put huge pressures for these young women to sacrifice their personal lives just wave and be pure "virgin" celebrities to the masses.

Paparazzi is horrible these days, with no ethics to speak of.

I don't condole organized crime, but unless she a criminal or done criminal acts, they should torpedo her career if she good at it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Holy crap, the yakuza still exist?

Of course. Their numbers are estimated at over one hundred thousand, and they are quite powerful. Along with legitimate businesses they run gambling houses, brothels, loan shark outfits, people smuggling, drug running, "protection" services and money laundering schemes. They've even been known to set up honey traps to blackmail corporate bigwigs and politicians for substantial sums of money. However, they do have a history of helping the general populace out after natural disasters, often mobilising manpower and providing equipment faster than the authorities.

Tl;dr: the yakuza still exist and they are doing pretty well for themselves.

Yep and I read some recent scandals where government minister with ties to Yakuza are forced to resign:

Japan’s Justice Minister to Resign Over Yakuza Ties (other source: Bloomberg)

Japan’s Mega Banks Have Mega Yakuza Trouble (other source: The Diplomat)

I know couple of Japanese entertainer back in 2011 who was forced to "retire" because of their ties to the Yakuza:

Variety-Yakuza intractable in Japan showbiz

The Daily Beast-Yakuza goes Hollywood (written by Jake Adelstein)

The Guardian-Japanese TV host Shinsuke Shimada resigns over yakuza links (other source: The telegraph)

I think Justin Servakis is correct about Yakuza have some form of control on Japanese entertainment industry.

So yeah Yakuza are still active in Japan, and they're silent like a ninja.

Also there's allegation that the LDP, Japan's current ruling government may have Yakuza ties (note: the article is from 2000, but it's still credible). There's also allegation that some of Japan's ultra-right wings groups has Yakuza ties too.

Jake Adelstein on Japan Times wrote:
Zaitokukai has had a tight relationship with Nihonseinensha, a right-wing group that is part of the Sumiyoshi-kai, the second-largest yakuza syndicate in the country. In testimony in the Diet, the National Police Agency acknowledged that Nihonseinensha’s top adviser was also a senior figure in the Sumiyoshi-kai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2