• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was the best year for anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
People say that 1998 was the best year for anime to be produced in that era. Of those anime released in that year, many of them were critically acclaimed successes like Cowboy Bebop, Cardcaptor Sakura, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Lain. I want to find out why was 1998 considered by fans to be the best year for anime in general.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the notable titles you mentioned, you can add:

Master Keaton
His and Her Circumstances
Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade
Initial D
Princess Nine
Fancy Lala
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
Blue Submarine No. 6
Generator Gawl
Shadow Skill
Kurogane Communication
Orphen
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
El Hazard: The Alternate World
Queen Emeraldas
Sentimental Journey
Lost Universe
Steam Detectives
Neo Ranga
Gasaraki
Silent Mobius
Nazca

So yeah... not a bad year.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I have never run into anyone saying that either online or live. Who are these people and where did they say that? What are the beginning and ending of "that era".

Going by the above list of shows, it was obviously a good year. However, you have to keep in mind that those of us who waited for legal home releases our experience with those shows was in most cases delayed a couple of years and mixed with releases from other years. The stuff I actually experienced in 1998 was from earlier years.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I've heard about this 1998 being the best year in anime before. Throw in that NGE came out in 95/96 and there are some that will dub that general era the Golden Age of anime.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I've long felt 1984 was the best year for anime movies. That year gave us three pretty much immortal classics: "Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind," "Macross: Do You Remember Love," and "Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer." I'll also throw in "Locke the Superman: Millennium of the Witch" as another high point for that year.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Going by the above list of shows, it was obviously a good year. However, you have to keep in mind that those of us who waited for legal home releases our experience with those shows was in most cases delayed a couple of years and mixed with releases from other years. The stuff I actually experienced in 1998 was from earlier years.

One wouldn't be referring to when they happen to watch something. For example, I could watch a bunch of those titles listed above and wouldn't say "wow, 2024 was an amazing year of anime!"
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
@ChirashiD

I'm not talking about when a person first watched a show, I'm referring to when it first became readily available here in the U.S. Before streaming, the home video release was the first time most people were able to experience a show. That was when anime related magazines (remember magazines?) would do extended reviews on a show. A few shows were available earlier on cable and some people were into the fan sub scene but for most of us the home video release was our first chance. That was usually two years give or take.

One of the things that used to bother me and why I came here to look at the encyclopedia was that the home release seldom told you when a show came out in Japan. Two shows could be released the same month and be several years apart on initial release. For that matter, on a lot of shows, there was no specific indication they were from Japan unless you looked at the fine print credits with all Japanese names.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
I understand your point, Alan45, but I agree that home releases in North America are irrelevant to a discussion such as this. When trying to answer the unanswerable question of, "What was the best year in anime?" only the year a show was released in Japan matters.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
I don't really believe in the concept of "best year". It is entirely subjective. If you ask a dozen people that question you are likely to get 18 answers. Wink A lot of answers are going to be guided by personal experience.

In any case the question is meaningless until you establish the criteria for judging and who has the authority to make the decision. Which is better, a year with two or three outstanding shows or one with a dozen really good shows? Which shows are outstanding anyway? Do technological changes count? I'm pretty sure that Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is one of those shows done by a new digital method that can't be upscaled very well. Is that a plus or minus.

So no best year, just good shows, bad shows and a lot of so-so shows, and everyone has their own idea of which is which.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Which, of course, is exactly why I worded my post to say, "When trying to answer the unanswerable question of, "What was the best year in anime?"... I think everybody understands the limitations inherent. But this is like comic book nerds debating who would win in a fight between Super Man and The Hulk. There's no need to think too deeply about the underlying validity of the question, it can just be fun to float your opinion.

Plus, shouldn't we be celebrating the fact that mgree0032 finally started a thread that isn't about dubs??? Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
We need some dodgy science here.

I've taken the average of the top 20 scored titles by ANN users in "My Anime" for every year since 1980 (the first year with 20 scored anime).

Here's the outcome.

Before compiling the chart I'd have guessed either 2006 or 2011 as the best year in anime. I was vindicated with 2006 coming out the clear winner. 2011 was fourth.

The top 20 for 2006 is one classic after another.
Death Note
Maria Watches Over Us 3rd Season
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Kanon
Honey and Clover II
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ouran High School Host Club
NANA
Looking Up At The Half-Moon
Welcome to the NHK
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Hellsing Ultimate
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Paprika
School Rumble: 2nd Semester
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven
Black Lagoon
Gintama
Strawberry Panic!

If you discount 2005 and 2010, the period between 2004 and 2012 is the golden era of anime - again something I've long considered to be the case. The shit that people give the noughties isn't borne out by the data. Since 2012 the moving average has been trending down.

The best year prior to the 21st century was 1988 which includes Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbour Totoro, the Kimagure Orange Road movie, Gunbuster, Akira and the first Patlabor OAV. That's more impressive than mgree0032's 1998 list.

Other good years from last century are 1999, 1998 and 1995 in that order.

The best year from the last decade has been 2016, still below the best 6 years - all between 2004 and 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue with that 2006 line-up.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I've changed the thread title to encourage more general discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
The 2006-2008 period is the high point for me, especially in terms of the wide array of subject matter. Money was flowing, and studios were able to invest in projects that might otherwise not see the light of day like Toei's "Bake Neko" and Mononoke, Madhouse's Oh! Edo Rocket, or Brains-Base's Kurenai and Baccano. The 2008-2009 recession put an end to such experimentation. Production committees limited their focus to shows they expected to perform adequately, a strategic decision that sadly still informs the industry today. Could a masterpiece like Seirei no Moribito be produced now? I doubt it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
Hey, I love me some Moribito but I have to admit that I instinctively cringe when I see somebody say, "ah, they'll never make great shows like "x" any more. Since the dawn of anime, virtually every year has seen the creation of a handful excellent shows/movies, some of which are classics and masterpieces. And there continued to be risky shows made long after the recession, to this day. Girls Last Tour was hardly a safe bet. The problem is somebody imposes their subjective taste on the question and they only focus on the shows that did it for them. Anything outside that subjective taste can, of course, never measure up. Great anime was made, is being made, will be made in the future. And a lot of crap. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2