• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Something Isn't Quite Right With This Levi Figure

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
The manufacturer always has a disclaimer for promo photos that goes along the lines of "Please note that photos shown may differ from the final product." to cover their arses, but holy shit, this is so far beyond the usual minor discrepancies that I totally understand why many thought they'd somehow been sent bootlegs.

Sad and pathetic. But to be honest, PULCHRA has never ranked highly personally as a figure maker.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Surely it can't be as bad as the Misaka figure my girlfriend got when her friend had bought it, received it, and then found it so repulsive that she stored it away for months before giving it to my girlfriend for free in order to never see it again. Considering my girlfriend is just barely starting a figure collection (mostly just a ton of figures of Fate/Stay Night's Saber thus far), she was glad to receive anything, but even she ended up putting it in storage in the end... Anime hyper
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Disgruntled Levi is bored
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Saw this in a UFO catcher lol. It is so bad...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but laugh at thsi because it's too damn funny. Well, hey I always thought that much of the figures were produced in Japan, meaning some good quality. But I would find that's not the case. I mean if you look at Good Smile, they state to be aware of bootlegs, yet many of these models are produced in China anyway. So is there some legitimate company that is trusted to mass produce and deliver good quality figures?

Levi looks like his tummy hurts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
For a minute, I thought it was a badly counterfeit Chinese bootleg but turns out this is not the case. I don't know what the manufacturing company that made this figure was thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I can't help but laugh at thsi because it's too damn funny. Well, hey I always thought that much of the figures were produced in Japan, meaning some good quality. But I would find that's not the case. I mean if you look at Good Smile, they state to be aware of bootlegs, yet many of these models are produced in China anyway. So is there some legitimate company that is trusted to mass produce and deliver good quality figures?

Good Smile Company is considered pretty much the top company in Japan. Sure, they aren't immune to production problems, who isn't? But their work is top notch. Unlike a lot of producers they actually own a stake in the Chinese factories that produce their stuff and have employees monitoring production. If they had a figure turn up like this on the assembly line they'd push the release back however long it takes to get it right and they do that pretty regularly.

Plus they actually are getting ready to open up their own Japanese factory pretty soon so there's that.

For the record, this was Pulchra's first male figure ever so I guess they didn't have their heart in it.

I think someone on myfigurecollection.net put it best:

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
^ the GSC Levi is disappointing to put it lightly.

I have the Senitel one which I'm happy with but the fan favorite seems to be the one from Kotobukiya.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, the disappointing final version is the one on the right, yes?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje, your food images were funny.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Just to be clear, the disappointing final version is the one on the right, yes?

Yup. Can't imagine how mortifying it would be to have my name tied to that as "designer".
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah I bought this one and I haven't opened it. I'm so pissed off.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
What, is this another Chinese bootleg like Sader?

Wait, what? It's not?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

That's definitely something to be wary of when you outsource to China or other country with lax enforcement over bootlegs: Even Disney has problems with their Chinese manufacturing partners using the equipment to make official merchandise to make near-indistinguishable bootlegs. Most famous are Disney Pins, which are discontinued after a certain amount of time. The Chinese factories are required under contract to destroy the molds used to make the pins, but most of them keep them anyway without letting the Disney people know and continue to sell pins by themselves. These pins are known by pin collectors as "Scrappers."

Hence, if even The Walt Disney Company has problems finding legitimate companies, I highly doubt Good Smile could find one. When you outsource to a country like China, that the company you're contracted to can bootleg your own stuff is a risk you have to account for. Since Chinese authorities like to support domestic businesses and will actually defend these companies making bootlegged material, the trustworthiness of the Chinese manufacturer you contract yourself to falls squarely in whoever runs that business, if they choose to be honest and stand firm with discipline of any workers who attempt to cheat the company they work for.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
What, is this another Chinese bootleg like Sader?

Wait, what? It's not?

No it's not a Chinese bootleg this time. This particular one is made in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1