• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Log Horizon Blu-Ray [2015-02-23]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I like how this review - all fifteen hundred words of it - took the time to explain in detail what made Log Horizon so good and yet so frustrating. It can be such a strong show in some areas while so weak in others. The Goblin King Arc is incredibly well-written, the world-building is outstanding and the character development for the youngsters is solid and meaningful. Yet the final five episodes are underwhelming and feel tacked on; no-one seems to really care that they're stuck in a game; and though the ideas and game mechanics are fascinating and intelligently formed, the exposition is undeniably clunky.

I love Log Horizon to bits but it has too many issues to simply ignore. It's still a great show though.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
If you've been watching the second season, dtm42, you'll notice that the subject of "no-one seems to really care that they're stuck in a game" plays a significant role in later events, especially in regards to the Odyssey Knights. Though I agree that many people, from the outside anyway, appear to have taken it more lightly than is to be expected.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you've been watching the second season, dtm42, you'll notice that the subject of "no-one seems to really care that they're stuck in a game" plays a significant role in later events, especially in regards to the Odyssey Knights. Though I agree that many people, from the outside anyway, appear to have taken it more lightly than is to be expected.

also it can be a pretty set up for the ending for the series. considering that the world is connected to the game,there is a high chance that if something bad happens in the real world the elder tales world will be effected. though there are definitely some gaping holes on how they got there. if this was an VRMMORPG like SAO was then it would make sense,but since its from a PC and their literately , even the real world would have to take notice. especially if their missing for a long time.

Quote:
it fumbles around in festivals, has a couple episodes dedicated to an undercooked love triangle, and ends with a small arc that only really exists to set up some important players for the next season.

well they had to use those storylines and end it like that in the event there wasnt gonna be a season season considering that LN like these as well as some mangas when they get an anime version, they dont completely be faithful towards the original materials and use their own filler storylines to end the anime series like that.

also i wouldnt call that a love triangle at all. for one thing minori is middle school kid. nothing serious was gonna happen. i can easily tell that this author wasnt going to go to the SAO fairy dance arc route in order to please the hardcore otaku community.

if it was the former tea party leader and akasuki (considering all three are college students) instead i would agree with you.especially considering how much shiro thinks back about her during his time at the tea party.

But it was funny and a calming change of pace over the serious tone during the goblin king arc. and to be frank the dub tone for crusty and lenessia was definitely funny. i really put in the tone for the whole "love-hate relationship" with those two.

especially with lenessia consider how much she changed after meeting him and have taking a serious liking at times,but cant stand the guy at times as well for acting like a "mind reading monster"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I kind of unconditionally love this series sure the animation is "bargain basement" and the love triangle is forced. And yet the strengths such as the world building to the relationships with characters make me not care
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I kind of unconditionally love this series sure the animation is "bargain basement" and the love triangle is forced. And yet the strengths such as the world building to the relationships with characters make me not care

i would agree that it did felt forced , but it was kinda predictable that it would happen. though i would have expected it to be with akasuki and the former tea party leader and during the second season. not with a middle school kid like minori. definitely threading the lolicon tendices a bit much since a lot of people dont like that type of fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1