• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director Collet-Serra: No Progress on Live-Action Akira

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
because akira isint something that can be presented without a proper script, cant cut the budget, cant go around changing it too much either.

if you want this movie to fly, then you have to have a committed staff of actors, directors, producers etc that put the same passion and attention to detail that they did with the anime. otherwise why make it?

and for many reasons i dont see that happening with this production, most of them would probably say they've seen akira, but do they really get it? or feel it?, i doubt it. most of them say it looks cool just for the sake of being seen as hip.
HitenMitsurugiRyu_Himura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance. A live action Akira should NEVER be made. Akira was a masterpiece. Make a live-action version of it would be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Just let it not happen. I think most of us are better off without it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Good, now can the production of the Ghost in the Shell live action go awry so it dies too?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Live-action Akira? fudge that. Akira is a throughly Japanese story, and either you have a big budget movie that sucks more than Dragonball Evolution or you have to find a way to cast accurately and have a smaller budget so you only can tell a part of the story. Sorry Hollywood, you just can't do Akira.

Live-action Ghost in the Shell? Needs a visionary director to translate the deep themes and symbolism to an American story. GITS is not so Japanese that you cannot change the names of the various Section 9 folks. I would love to see Mamoru Oshii asked to direct, but Christopher Nolan or a director of his calibur would be able to do it.

I am really want my live-action Battle Angel Alita, James Cameron.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
They kind of already made a version called 'Chronicle', which while no Akira, wasn't bad. But that's what you're gonna end up with if you're considering a small budget.

They should just let it die given we know they have no intention of even seriously entertaining preserving Akira's scope.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Nice but I prefer the one from Reservoir Dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrKXf2G-AA
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
it is better that warner bros. continues to stall the project until all the pieces are place, rather than rush it out the door. this prolonged delay may actually serve a purpose in the end. the success or disaster that is to become of the ghost in the shell movie may in fact have an influence on whether akira is greenlit in the future as well. the next best thing to akira live action is the movie chronicle. go watch it again in the meantime Very Happy

=================================================

jdnation wrote:
They kind of already made a version called 'Chronicle', which while no Akira, wasn't bad. But that's what you're gonna end up with if you're considering a small budget.

They should just let it die given we know they have no intention of even seriously entertaining preserving Akira's scope.

loved chronicle. that hospital scene is clearly inspired by akira. very much looking forward to the sequel.

{Merged a double-post. ~nbahn}
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Good. And make it stay that way.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
jdnation wrote:

loved chronicle. that hospital scene is clearly inspired by akira. very much looking forward to the sequel.

I haven't watched Chronicle, but if you're wondering why that film has been compared to Akira. That's probably because the director is an avid fan of Akira. So I'll say this: Chronicle is the American Akira. There's no need to adapt Akira into live-action since Chronicle is the closest thing. We won't need to see a live-action Perfect Blue because Black Swan already filled that part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I haven't watched Chronicle, but if you're wondering why that film has been compared to Akira. That's probably because the director is an avid fan of Akira. So I'll say this: Chronicle is the American Akira. There's no need to adapt Akira into live-action since Chronicle is the closest thing. We won't need to see a live-action Perfect Blue because Black Swan already filled that part.

well, it's clearly not the same thing. we don't necessarily NEED a live action adaptation of akira (conversely, we don't need novels and comic books adapted for the big screen either) but surely it would be nice to see should they get it right. it would pave the way for other anime-hollywood projects in the future, such as neon genesis, lupin the third, gundam, macross, cowboy bebop and many more. the catalogue of possibilities are endless. that being said, the odds of them getting it right are not favourable, i know. but when i look at all the marvel and dc film franchises and see how far they have come in adapting them from the source material, there is no reason why anime adaptations can't meet the same standard and be given the same level of care as well. it is POSSIBLE under the right circumstances.

{Please don't over-quote. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}

Last edited by Xristophoros on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
We won't need to see a live-action Perfect Blue because Black Swan already filled that part.

We do need to see Satoshi Kon and Yoshikazu Takeuchi get compensation and WGA credits, though. Also, Wolfgang Petersen conveniently tried to get the Paprika remake rights around the same time the Inception thing happened.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
HitenMitsurugiRyu_Himura wrote:
Good riddance. A live action Akira should NEVER be made. Akira was a masterpiece. Make a live-action version of it would be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I at least agree it shouldn't be made, but the "painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa" analogy is overused.

It's not like the Hollywood movie, if it is ever made, will erase the manga or the anime film from existence, so it would really just be like painting a mustache on a copy of "La Gioconda" (the Mona Lisa), which has been done many times.

You can even buy prints of many bastardized versions of the Mona Lisa here. I like the Mona Lisa Pirate Captain myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mdo:
Quote:
We won't need to see a live-action Perfect Blue because Black Swan already filled that part.

We do need to see Satoshi Kon and Yoshikazu Takeuchi get compensation and WGA credits, though. Also, Wolfgang Petersen conveniently tried to get the Paprika remake rights around the same time the Inception thing happened.

Huh, I didn't see any legal issue over Black Swan or any news about compensation. Also we haven't heard about Wolfgang Petersen's remake of Paprika in a while. So maybe he dropped the project due to Inception being similar to Paprika. But as I said, we don't need a live-action perfect Blue. After reading about Chronicle, I don't think we don't need a live-action Akira.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2