• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Hiroshi "Bamboo" Takeuchi, OVERDRIVE Producer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
It feels like there's an unstated assumption in the various answers regarding PC / console / mobile, and it's the fact that eroge (ie, VNs with adult-only content) can only be released on PC: Sony and Apple won't allow naughty bits on Vita or iPhone, respectively. While some VNs do get bowdlerized all-ages releases on these platforms, maybe the established VN fanbase is just loyal to the PC, even at the cost of mobility?

EDIT: Also, good interview. Nice get!
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It feels like there's an unstated assumption in the various answers regarding PC / console / mobile, and it's the fact that eroge (ie, VNs with adult-only content) can only be released on PC: Sony and Apple won't allow naughty bits on Vita or iPhone, respectively. While some VNs do get bowdlerized all-ages releases on these platforms, maybe the established VN fanbase is just loyal to the PC, even at the cost of mobility?

I don't think so. Most fans do appreciate being able to play VNs on consoles and mobile formats, though obviously you don't want to be on the train when an h-scene pops up.

Still, there are many VNs that are all-ages or simply get the adult content on a later version or a fandisk (Key is known for supporting this practice, also not adding voice to those scenes most of the time for the same of the VAs), and a lot of them really good (steins;gate for example), so I think the possibilities for more VNs in mobile formats are certainly there.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be comfortable playing an eroge out in public, a normal VN would be great to play on a tablet if it was episodic, this genre is a good one to test the waters for priced mobile and tablet games in Japan (also episodic VNs could benefit from the platform if done right).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Google won't allow them either on the Play store. However you can sideload apps and there are now third party Android app markets for eroge too.

Quote:
What sort of potential for visual novels do you see in America?

Every year both sales and membership have grown for MangaGamer, so I do feel a potential in the foreign market. The market still has some way to go, but the number of people in the anglosphere who are interested in Japan's visual novels continues to grow, and I think it can become a big market.

What sort of trends have you seen with regard to American VN sales? What sells better here?

Titles that are “popular in Japan”, “have an anime”, or similar often sell well, but some titles without an anime like Kira Kira or Go Go Nippon sell just as well if not better sometimes as well.

Well I want to give Takeuchi-san my thanks for bringing his Overdrive VNs over, uncensored too, and for helping MangaGamer in general and not shying away from any type of title. They also carry OEL titles like Huniepop, now with LE physical version. Related to audience and growth, they recently had this demographics survey: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/03/10/2015-licensing-survey-results/
(note it's only ~500 respondents; most were unaware)

edit: correction: ~8000 respondents, of which ~500 were previously unaware of mangagamer

Last edited by configspace on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well I want to give Takeuchi-san my thanks for bringing his Overdrive VNs over, uncensored too, and for helping MangaGamer in general and not shying away from any type of title. They also carry OEL titles like Huniepop, now with LE physical version. Related to audience and growth, they recently had this demographics survey: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/03/10/2015-licensing-survey-results/
(note it's only ~500 respondents; most were unaware)

In the opening paragraph it says over 8,000 people responded.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:

Self-selected, so it's limited to the kind of people who are already tuned in to Mangagamer, but really interesting nonetheless.

I used to say Clannad was the Great White Whale of VN licensing (ie, the thing we dearly want and will never get), but Sekai Project is bringing that over thanks to their big Kickstarter, so now clearly Fate/Stay Night takes the honors.

And let's not even get into the tale of woe that is the saga of bringing Muv-Luv over.
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, people in the west are "anglosphere". Heh, I like the trend that visual novels imports are starting to get easier to obtain legally. I still think that market is several behind the anime resellers, but I happy to see the process start.

There is definitely a demand in the west for non-eroge visual novels, but let's be the honest even if it isn't 18+ dating sims, still dominate the VN market. I would like to see more diversity outside the niche of this niche, but that's just me.

The big whale import of the non-eroge novels would be the Umineko and Hirugashi series. I wonder if the partial failure of the anime will stop this from coming a reality.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

unfortunately its highly unlikely that any VN's that dont have the type-moon brand like Fate Stay Night wont get any notice in the western part of the word. the only other way people would take an interest let alone know that particular VN series is that if it gets an anime version which is why ero VN's like Sister Princess , Green Green or even Shuffle got their own anime TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
Apparently, people in the west are "anglosphere". Heh, I like the trend that visual novels imports are starting to get easier to obtain legally. I still think that market is several behind the anime resellers, but I happy to see the process start.

There is definitely a demand in the west for non-eroge visual novels, but let's be the honest even if it isn't 18+ dating sims, still dominate the VN market. I would like to see more diversity outside the niche of this niche, but that's just me.

The big whale import of the non-eroge novels would be the Umineko and Hirugashi series. I wonder if the partial failure of the anime will stop this from coming a reality.

Considering the Higurashi VN has already been released in complete (with a bad TL), and is getting a completely new TL and sprites from scratch shows us that the VN market isn't entirely dependent on the sales of the anime.

As for Umineko, while not technically officially available in ENG, you can buy the Japanese versions of it and a bunch of other 07th Expansion games from MangaGamer's site, and those games on there almost all have fanTLs that are officially supported by MangaGamer and 7th Expansion.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:

18+? I agree. Dating sims? Hardly, at least not in the proper sense of the term. Love Plus would be a dating sim, where the main objective of the game is to date the girl. Other romance-driven visual novels, however, focus on the story of the particular girl you want to focus on, many times not even leading to the two characters dating until the very end. But yeah, if by "dating sims" you mean romance-driven stories, then yes, they do dominate the market.

jr0904 wrote:
unfortunately its highly unlikely that any VN's that don't have the type-moon brand like Fate Stay Night wont get any notice in the western part of the word. the only other way people would take an interest let alone know that particular VN series is that if it gets an anime version which is why ero VN's like Sister Princess , Green Green or even Shuffle got their own anime TV series.

I think the Key brand would be much easier to identify (Clannad, Angel Beats, etc), but I still disagree with what you're saying. VNs are little by little getting noticed in the western world. Sure, not to a HUGE degree, but there are several VNs getting released on steam, with a lot of people playing them, and there has been an active western community (and quite big mind you) ever since the mid 2000's, plus a huge amount of fan translated VNs.

And when it comes to Japan, I assure you that there are many VNs that never got an anime and are STILL well known around the otaku community over there. And frankly, there are many VNs that I'd prefer not to see adapted, as half of the time VN adaptations fail in delivering what makes the game special.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:

woops, thanks for the correction
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

As for Umineko, while not technically officially available in ENG, you can buy the Japanese versions of it and a bunch of other 07th Expansion games from MangaGamer's site, and those games on there almost all have fanTLs that are officially supported by MangaGamer and 7th Expansion.

I love this so much. So so much. Also, Bamboo is awesome in everything he does. Saw him at the Vegas concert and he was both hilarious and amazing. When I found out he was with mangagamer, I really started thinking he was awesome. He told us he wanted to make everyone love Japan. I think that's an awesome goal and he's doing a good job.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

[Official Video] milktub - Love Song -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdDw5Gz20U

There are a large number of full-length high definition PV clips on the Lantis Festival 2015 ~Anisong World Tour~ channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjR6YoI3EYrJXoQlEHt4HfQ

Enjoy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1