• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Maryland Governor Seeks Federal Funding After Riding Japan's Maglev Train

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised that a republican would want to invest in trains, which at least in the east coast of the USA should be the first means of transportation (like in Europe or Japan) instead of airplanes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Pft, we don't even have regular bullet trains, maglev is a little "beyond" right now.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This technology has been around for years. I saw a Korean demonstration using urban transit examples during Expo '86 held in Vancouver, BC back in the day. Though I think it's more practical as a transit mechanism for the NEC and other high population densities I have a gnawing suspicion that a lot of this funding is intended for personal political pocketing rather than public good.

Sad
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It shouldn't take a trip to Japan to want to improve infrastructure. Improving infrastructure is something one should want to do regardless of what other countries are doing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
So... He just now noticed this technology has been around?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
This technology has been around for years. I saw a Korean demonstration using urban transit examples during Expo '86 held in Vancouver, BC back in the day. Though I think it's more practical as a transit mechanism for the NEC and other high population densities I have a gnawing suspicion that a lot of this funding is intended for personal political pocketing rather than public good.

Sad

Bohemian, you are probably right about where a goodly chunk of the funds spent on any project like this will end up.

The problem with high speed rail / mass transit in the US is population density. The NEC has the highest population density in the US and it almost isn't enough to support large scale mass transit using the existing infrastructure which was paid for in the late 1800's.

New infrastructure, like the proposed maglev, costs big money and because of the nature of public works projects in the Northeastern US the dollars mentioned will not be enough no matter what.

There is a need for mass transit, but everyone involved needs to be realistic about how hard it is to make work here.

Mark Gosdin
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

Sad

different technologies. You should do some research. Maglev made a alot of advancement over the years. the one that China and South Korea build was low-speed maglev.

Just like TV made advancement over the years. OLED TV is not the same technology as LED TV people. I can't believe people still think OLED is the same technology.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
... regardless of what other countries are doing.

How about doing it because of what the USA has done? At least from what I have heard nowadays taking a trip in an airplane has become a harrowing experience due to security measures, but no matter how you dice it, you can't ram a train into a building of your choice so I would expect there would be a push by the average citizen asking the government to help finance faster trains, but alas, I have not heard of one protest or petition signed by at least a few thousands.

mgosdin wrote:
New infrastructure, like the proposed maglev, costs big money and because of the nature of public works projects in the Northeastern US the dollars mentioned will not be enough no matter what.

Please tell me with a straight face that the money invested in Iraq (for naught) over the course of a decade would not have been enough to revitalize said infrastructure.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Also, the excuse to find a place to put a high-speed maglev has also been suggested between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. (Where it would be more at home, with more open spaces that need transversing quickly, considering that Vegas doesn't even have an Amtrak stop yet.)
Then someone suggests that Anaheim be on the stops, and everyone starts accusing it of being California state tourism fodder.

(Well, sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide electrified, six-car maglev train!
What'd I say? Maglev!
What's it called? Maglev!
That's right! Maglev!)
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pft, we don't even have regular bullet trains, maglev is a little "beyond" right now.
The lack of a bullet train is a combination of FRA regulations prohibiting all but a tiny handful of locomotives in the US market(I think there's a single digit number of models that meet the requirements) and railroads doing absolutely nothing to avoid road crossings(which come with a speed limit - you could probably pick up the pace significantly just by factoring them out). The latter is due to the passenger rail business being nationalized so long ago that tracks are almost exclusively built with freight in mind and the former means that there will always be a lot of red tape involved that will almost certainly include isolated tracks as part of the waiver.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

mgosdin wrote:

Please tell me with a straight face that the money invested in Iraq (for naught) over the course of a decade would not have been enough to revitalize said infrastructure.

Sadly, war is a lot more likely to be funded than an infrastructure project. That's always the way it's been. People love their war and conquest, especially under the delusion that there is something to be gained from it. What's there to be gained from investing in trains? Not a hell of a whole lot. We're used to planes and air travel, and no matter how much worse that experience is, we still put up with it.

Trains haven't been the main mode of transportation in America for hundreds of years, and I really can't see them coming back. Which is unfortunate. I love trains, and these maglev trains are badass.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
mgosdin wrote:

The same can be applied to health care, education, medical and/or biological research (vaccines, better produce), transportation maintenance, and more. But they weren't adequately funded, whilst U.S.'s "foreign policies" in Iraq & Afghanistan got practically a blank cheque - which did wonders to its National Debt.

So yeah, it can be said in a straight face there won't be enough funding to projects such as these. And if there is, it will be for a small-scale, localized version and the people on top will reap the glory of "promoting community interests" while leaving it in the dust. Else, the train system wouldn't have been looking like it does.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The latter is due to the passenger rail business being nationalized so long ago that tracks are almost exclusively built with freight in mind and the former means that there will always be a lot of red tape involved that will almost certainly include isolated tracks as part of the waiver.

From what I have heard, the japanese rail business was sold to the private sector in 1987, there have been three republican presidents since then and bush jr. had control of congress, so no matter how I look at it, nothing has been done because of a lack of will to revitalize infrastructure.

#839260 wrote:
Trains haven't been the main mode of transportation in the USA in my lifetime, and I really can't see them coming back. Which is unfortunate. I love trains, and these maglev trains are badass.

The corrected it for you Very Happy

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would love to ride a Maglev train in the U.S., I don't see one appearing anywhere within the country anytime soon, perhaps for the reason that the government has decided to spend money on...other questionable projects...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
A trip by shinkansen from Tokyo to Fukuoka will cost you $200 one-way, and that's when the dollar is trading for 100 yen. Flying is cheaper over long distances like that. Not sure what the maglev price would be, but I don't see it being cheaper unless the faster transit times allow them to increase volume by having more runs per day.

That's the critical question for using this in the USA: can they deliver the service at a price enough people are willing to pay? I can just see some politician wanting to introduce a "temporary" subsidy to lower the cost until it catches on, but that to me has "boondoggle" written all over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4