• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, June 8-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Its Pocket Monsters. It'll disappear next week. Also, THANK THE OTAKU! DK is out of the top 10. I knew last week was an anomaly.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Pokémon XY is back in the Top 10 but, yes, the show will disappear on the next ranking, sadly.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Will Super perform better than Kai? Can it boost One Piece up to 2nd place? I'm looking forward to see.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Will Super perform better than Kai? Can it boost One Piece up to 2nd place? I'm looking forward to see.

It will be a KILLER hour if DB SUPER lives up to expectations and its like DBZ, just see Kai with 6.5, a recut of Z!! And so high in the ranks, the two KINGS, DBZ, former, and new one, One Piece, back to back, and DB with new series! more than OP increasing its ratings, I expects DB to be closer to OP ratings. I dont discard a temporary boost in the beginning for OP thou. If SUPER in fact revives the awesomeness of Z, it would be a fierce battle for the ratings of OP vs DB, lets dont forget that OP was the immediate successor of DB back when DB ended (with gt). so pretty much a big chunk of DB fans went to OP as a natural progression.

If like some people, that are totally out of perspective, wish for more comedy than action and awesomeness (totally fine to love comedy but it was NOT what made DB (with the Z series) the global phenomena that it is today) , I can bet in no time it will fall to Kai ratings if not lower.

Juts take as example gintama, aclass, etc, hugely popular, merely comedy series, but it comes the anime and they dont really cut it for top viewership and much less to go global. Same principle why Bleach (back when it was good) and Naruto got tremendously popular locally and in to time globally, original distinctive characters, epic battles, epic story arcs.

I hope Super its handled well, natural comedy in moments but with epic battles, epic villains, more fusions, drama, power ups, training, etc, etc. That is what I want to see. If its going to be 100 eps I hope to see one long arc, comedy, slice of life? Sure, I would love it like with the buu saga at the beginning, I loved those eps, or the time before the cell games, those are the appropriate moments for comedy and slice of life stuff.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Oh! Its Pocket Monsters. It'll disappear next week. Also, THANK THE OTAKU! DK is out of the top 10. I knew last week was an anomaly.

where have u been?DK has been in & out of top ten couples of time before,so its nothing new.
since this chart didn't show beyond top10,i think what more important is whether its rating numbers stable rather than being in top 10.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
lets don't forget that OP was the immediate successor of DB back when DB ended (with gt). so pretty much a big chunk of DB fans went to OP as a natural progression.

Wrong! One Piece wasn't DB immediate successor. DBGT ended in 1997 while OP started in 1999(end of it). You're totally forgetting the 2 years gap between them.
Dragon Ball GT -> Dr. Slump(2nd remake) -> One Piece!

Also those series were airing at 19:00 to 19:30 Wednesday, but One Piece already had 3 changes of timeslots:
- 19:00 to 19:30 Wednesday
- 19:30 to 20:00 Sunday -> year of 2001
- 19:00 to 19:30 Sunday -> 2005
- 9:30 to 10:00 Sunday -> 2006

So basically the fans that One Piece has are all over the place.

Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
l
If like some people, that are totally out of perspective, wish for more comedy than action and awesomeness (totally fine to love comedy but it was NOT what made DB (with the Z series) the global phenomena that it is today) , I can bet in no time it will fall to Kai ratings if not lower.

Given the fact that Dragon Ball was mega popular everywhere except America, that only liked DBZ, I don't know what you're talking about!
Also remember that this ratings are Japan exclusive!

In Japan Dr. Slump, a comedy, is weekly Shonen Jump title with best TV ratings ever, with an average of 22.8%.
Dragon Ball also rated higher than Dragon Ball Z there. DB-> 21.2%, DBZ -> 20.5%

The current Best rated anime series right now are all comedy or have it heavily:
- Sazae-san -> Comedy
- Chibi Maruko Chan -> Comedy
- Doraemon -> Comedy
- Shin-Chan -> Comedy
- One Piece -> Action, Comedy

Dragon Ball Battle of Gods has a strong sense of comedy and was mega popular in Japan, and the world.

In Japan Comedy is really popular. Dragon Ball was always a mixture of Action and Comedy, with Dragon Ball Z loosing majority of its comedy for action, but it recovered it in Majin Buu arc.

Thinking that Dragon Ball Super will fall in rankings because of comedy is ludicrous. If the comedy is good and the story overall is also good, it will stay pretty high in the ratings. Even if it has little action(something that I don't believe it will happen at all).

Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:

Juts take as example gintama, aclass, etc, hugely popular, merely comedy series, but it comes the anime and they don't really cut it for top viewership and much less to go global. Same principle why Bleach (back when it was good) and Naruto got tremendously popular locally and in to time globally, original distinctive characters, epic battles, epic story arcs.

Take the example of Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan and you see that is not true.
Just because a series is comedy it doesn't automatically means it has to reach the Top 10 TV ratings, even if it is popular.

Also note that Assassination Classroom airs at midnight! If it aired at that time and was able to reach the Top 10, then it would be amazingly popular, because people would tune to the TV at that late hours just to watch it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Since week after week (with few exceptions) the top six spots are always Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan, One Piece, Detective Conan & Doraemon, couldn't ANN do some extra work and bring us the top 15 (or 20 if possible)?

I remember some user (forgot his username) used to post such extra list in this comment section. Because 99% of the american/european userbase of ANN might care for OP or Conan, but the other four while wildly popular in Asia, over here nobody could care less.

I know it would be extra work, like, journalist work.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Since week after week (with few exceptions) the top six spots are always Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan, One Piece, Detective Conan & Doraemon, couldn't ANN do some extra work and bring us the top 15 (or 20 if possible)?

I remember some user (forgot his username) used to post such extra list in this comment section. Because 99% of the american/european userbase of ANN might care for OP or Conan, but the other four while wildly popular in Asia, over here nobody could care less.

I know it would be extra work, like, journalist work.

That kind of information stopped being provided publicly in 2012. You have to find someone inside the industry and I don't know if even then you will get that info.

I bigger list would be so much better, specially when I'm so interested to know how World Trigger is doing.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I never saw that coming when Pokemon XY topped Yokai Watch in the rankings, since it's usually the opposite way around.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
@bigivel

Wrong, What determines OP ad DB successor is not airing or existing immediately after DB, common!. When GT ended OP started (manga in 1997!) quickly became extremely popular, its its aura and inspiration (Dragon Ball) and evidently its success (ultimately to greatly surpass DB, at least in its home).

Secondly again, you want to defend DB success, it HAD to be a success for it to reach DBZ, then answer me, if you claim it was so big why no recut on dragon ball? Evidently DB is overshadowed by Z, end of story, No one recuts, remaster, re-re-re release DB because what took DB (with Z) as a global phenomena of a magnitude not seen before is Z in all territories, dragon ball was fantastic but Z took it another level completely.

Its fine to like one over the other, again, some people like comedy, like to laugh, love light hearted series, that is fine, but lets not pretend the spotlight here does not belong to Z and that is the series everyone loves all around the world. Its Always hey the buu saga, hey the freezer saga, hey the cell saga, hey the androids, hey gokuu sjj3, hey gotenks sjj3....its not hey kid goku vs tao pai pai!

That is why all merchandise focuses on Z, that is why all videogames focuses on Z. You are hanging on non existent straws if you wanna argue otherwise. Which does not mean dragon ball with comedy was bad, it wasn't, it orked with kid goku, teen bulma, etc etc, but DBZ just literally took the series to a superior realm not fit for the heavy comedy and adventurous nature of kids and teens in dragon ball and pervert old man, it worked then, it would not work at the point we reached with Z, not in the same fashion that is why GT failed. It simply derailed from what made Z great and most fans were expecting, it tried to retake the draman, epic fights path but the damage was already done.

Now you also derail with the mention of comedy of Sasae-san, Chibi.Maruko.chan,dorameon, those are legendary FAMILY anime, totally different kind of monster from your usual comedy series. You cannot come here and use them as basis to say hey, comedy is amazing, yea It works amazing there, it does not means that your usual comedy anime can reach the same heights as legendary family anime that plenty of entire families tune in every week to watch.

Also comedy works best in Japan, internationally, which matters for something like DRAGON BALL, too heavy comedy series wont cut it. OP gives for very good comedy moments, not forgetting the epic battles, drama, but the story and characters work for an amazing combination, ODA is a GENIUS after all, OP has it all, thou it would not work too heavy at this point in DB really, it can has its moments, certain characters, I loved it in buu saga as well, but the point still was epic fight, epic power ups, great transformations.

Battle if Gods worked because it was the first DB work in a long long time, however most fans criticized exactly the un-inspiring action, battle and heavy comedy of the movie. Goku hiding like a kid whne Beerus appears? GOKU? Vegeta eat his pride againts freezer back with in the nake saga, but never acted as retarded like he did in BOG. The comedy with the kids and pilaf, OK! That is ok. The others take the series to a stupidity, not good fitting comedy, I believe goten and trunks ar intentionally left ageless precisely for good comedy relief in super, fat buu will provide good comedy, some light comedy from Goku working is ok, Vegeta being ordered around form Bulma is ok. Tsundere Vegeta is ok!

Now I said that too heavy comedy like battle of gods and less drama and action (as some ludicrously want) would make it to the same rating of kai if not less, not that it will fail, it wont fail not matter what, its DB.

Lastly you go totally nuts comparing sasae, doraemon with the likes of aclass and dreaming if it had another time slot the anime would be as popular as a legendary family anime?now that is ludicrous.

Aclass does not cut it to be a top ten anime no matter what timeslot, this series is not fitted for long running uninterrupted anime and the fanbase is totally different from morning, afternoon timeslots, not for nothing it was not programmed in those timeslots. In fact this is more fitted exactly to hardcore otaku and hence given such timeslot. Thou it would have received an early morning timeslot but looking carefully its late night aint off and actually fits. Really trying to compare to sasae is nuts, compare it to gintama, better fit, this one has aired in the afternoon it has never achieved the same status as sasae doraemon, etc. A-class, even less of a chance.

Like the saying goes: SAME HERD BUT DIFFERENT PASTURE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1