• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nobunagun BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
I have to put this here:

Highly enjoyable series that never took itself too seriously.
bobob101

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
I definitely had a blast when this was on Crunchyroll. I probably won't buy this (maybe on a super cheap deal) but I do think this is a great streaming title. Fun enough, interesting enough, I can't really think of anything to criticize. Plus, I'm a sucker for Sio's style when she goes in for the kill
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
I liked the show but the constant dark colors during battle occasionally made it difficult to see.

I noticed in the review you knocked the show for "All eh E-gene progenitors being Male"

That's not really the shows fault...Women didn't get a lot of credit in history till the 1900's or so. If you read a history book 75% of the names in wars and science in the middle ages till the 1900's were males. Can you truly think of enough Female figures to get genes from? Joan of Ark? Queen Elizabeth or Mary? how could the later two ever function in battle (Then again Gandhi can create forcefeilds and that one guy just ran really fast.) We gonna put in Molly Pitcher? What and give her some war equipment, Shio's got that covered already.

The show does try and make up for it by having a majority of the descendants being female (Newton, Galileo, Geronimo, Nobunaga all of them are females with a male ancestors power.). Also there's more then just Shio's team so it's possible some of the Female progenitors are on those teams (I thought someone mentions Joan of Ark being around somewhere.)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Can you truly think of enough Female figures to get genes from?

I can, actually, especially if I go outside of Western history: Nzinga would have been amazing, and Cheng I Sao also has a lot of possibilities. Other good choices include Sarrounia, Hypatia, Hatshepsut, or even better-known figures like Cleopatra VII or Mary Read. It just felt like lazy research.

But, yes, I really did appreciate that there was an equal number of male and female E-gene holders.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
This was so freaking good. Highlights include that episode with the monster meat, the awesome reveal of Jack's identity and the awesome fight against those three monsters at once. Seriously good show.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This was so freaking good. Highlights include that episode with the monster meat, the awesome reveal of Jack's identity and the awesome fight against those three monsters at once. Seriously good show.

Those are definitely highlights for me, as well. I was quite surprised by how much I ended up liking this show considering my initial impression was that it would be passable at best. I also liked how it was able to find ways to use historical figures that one wouldn't expect to have a place in a battle with giant aliens. One doesn't normally associate Isaac Newton with combat, but they made it work, and I liked that other historical figures were used as support, such as using John Hunter to conduct autopsies on the aliens.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Can you truly think of enough Female figures to get genes from?

I can, actually, especially if I go outside of Western history: Nzinga would have been amazing, and Cheng I Sao also has a lot of possibilities. Other good choices include Sarrounia, Hypatia, Hatshepsut, or even better-known figures like Cleopatra VII or Mary Read. It just felt like lazy research.

But, yes, I really did appreciate that there was an equal number of male and female E-gene holders.

Oh i never meant to suggest that there weren't well qualified female figures in history but just to say that history has largely ignored women and i could understand how from a story perspective it could be difficult to come up with a large amount for DOGOO to obtain genes for.

I just want to clarify I'm not here to crusade for woman's rights or something. I just felt that "Knocking/punishing" the show for something largely out of it's control wasn't very fair.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
^ No worries! I see what you were saying, and I never thought you were being anti-women or anything. Smile It's just a subject I have strong feelings about.

Plus I think Nzinga's amazing and would have been a great addition to the show. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
The only one from that list that seems a "glaring" omission is Cleopatra (she really does seem like a good fit). That said, the point about revisiting women in the past is interesting and considering the consistent use of girls+Oda Nobunaga, I REALLY wonder why we haven't gotten an anime for Tomoe Gozen (or at least having her play a big role):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoe_Gozen
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly good all things considered (with a kick ass opening). The show stayed very well on the border between serious and goofy fun, never going too far one side as to make the other side unwelcome. While Sio is an interesting character she's sadly overshadow by her Nobunagun personality, so I was pretty disappointed every episode where we just had her far less interesting otaku/weirdo character.

I doubt I'll go out of my way to buy it, but if I see it on the shelves I'll probably grab it.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I dropped this around episode 7 or 8. Half or a majority of the accents were distracting and I could not make out what they were saying (Funimation subtitles don't match with the English voices) and around the time I dropped it, it was beginning to get dull. There was a lack of crazed Sio/Nobunaga, which what the trailer seemed to focus on, and high intense battles. Maybe I'll pick it up again and give it another try later, but aside from the awesome opening song, the English dub left a bad taste in my mouth, which is a shame because I get more of an enjoyable experience watching most dubs than I do for subs, and I watch and enjoy both formats.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Easily amongst my favorite series for 2014, and a near-miss for being one of the year's best on my list.

If you're giving this one a sample, be sure to watch episode 2 as part of it. That's where I think the series truly shines.

But the real question about the dub (which I haven't heard yet) is: did they get Nobunaga's laugh at the end of episode 1 right? That was such a great laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
They could have put Marie Curie in there and given her awesome nuclear powers!

Between this review and someone live-tweeting this in my feed recently, I think I'm sold. This coming season looks so bleh, and I want something fun to watch. The fact that it's already dubbed (and presumably that dub is available on Funi's app) is a plus; I am a sucker for charming English accents (my first thought when I read that it has a British guy and it was dubbed by Funi: "Does it do accents? It does!")
I skipped this when it was coming out because I am so turned off by Japan reworking historical figures, and Nobunaga as a high school girl has been done to death at this point, usually for the purposes of stupidity and fanservice. Surprised to read that this story takes a different approach. It sounds worth checking out, at the least.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
It was mix bag for me, there something compelling to watch for me for certain. Mix of humor and action is good combo, though the aliens were odd. But nothing to take seriously.

The opening theme of the show is down right awesome.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to admit that I avoided this because it just sounded silly...and maybe because I kept mixing it up with that OTHER Nobunaga series of the same time. I'll have to reconsider now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2