• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aria the Scarlet Ammo Double A (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Aria the Scarlet Ammo Double A (TV)

Genres: Action, Adventure
Themes: Armed Combat, Academy, Guns

Plot Summary: Akari Mamiya is a freshman and E-rank student who looks up to her upperclassman, the S-ranked Aria H. Kanzaki. They both attend Tokyo Butei High School, which employs the "Amica" system, allowing an underclassman to train alongside an upperclassman. Akari is determined to be paired with Aria
----------------------------------

This is a spin-off of the original Aria the Scarlet Ammo (Hidan no Aria) series, not a season 2. It will feature some characters that people may be familiar with from the franchise though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Well episode is out.

It's a spin-off so don't expect continuations and apparently, Kenji makes a cameo but is not an important character in this. That new girl named Akari or whatever seems a bit annoying to me. However, I am surprised that the action is decent.

Funimation will probably release their version later soon although there's subs online elsewhere now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The first series was way back in 2011, I have literally forgotten most of the details. Okay I remember Aria was something like a descendant of spoiler[Sherlock Holmes], she is pretty much a Rie Kugimiya character. There was a kuudere sniper, I think she had a wolf or something. Then there was a classic Japanese girl with a sword, a psycho girl, and there was the guy. *watches the preview* There was definitely a male main character in the first season, he would like shift to look a super mode when he *checks Wikipedia* ..... apparently got aroused. Who the heck is that girl?

No seriously, who is this girl? Is that the main character? Did they need to remove the male character and make this some sort of K-ON like version of Aria? I remember enough now that this does not feel right, it feels kind of like a bad fanfiction. Apparently this is based on a spinoff manga, written by someone totally different. Why then use the same characters, this probably could have been totally a different show?

Maybe I am forgetting something, or something that was not animated that connects this as a totally different plot, but this just does not feel right. It is like Soul Eater Not, except alongside the events of a different toned series, it is still throwing the titular character in. It was getting a bit hard to watch towards the end, but maybe I will get used to it. I thought of Aria and Kinji as a team, so it feels a little here like cheating.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Okay, setting itself apart with the obsessive yandere, Shino, was entertaining.

Also the OP song is sung by [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nano_(singer)]Nano[/url], which is a big plus.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Caught up with ep 2, and you know what, this is probably more within my tastes of over the top action with comedy routine.

Ill give it another ep to see if it keep up for the season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
It is crazy to think that by not focusing on Kinji and his lame harem antics and a schizo plot, we get to see Aria VERY competent and badass. And there's Akari's story, while fairly simple, does seem to have a clear direction which is her developing to be Aria's equal (or close to her) and whatever mystery her past holds and that special attack she possesses.

Hopefully more peeps will give this a chance; Aria AA can only go up from here relatively considering how low expectations the original gave off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So this season we now have two Akaris that are objects of obsession by other girls.

Aria seems pretty tolerant of Akari's general bumbling incompetence which is pretty annoying. Somehow that seemed to make the resolution of her fight with Shino more satisfying.

This season doesn't seem to have a whole lot to offer over the first but it seems worth watching. The animation is better.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It is crazy to think that by not focusing on Kinji and his lame harem antics and a schizo plot, we get to see Aria VERY competent and badass.

I really liked the first episode of the original. A badass MC putting down the tsundere female. But he rarely ever went back to that form and it just went downhill with the harem stuff.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Just gonna drop a little bit of info on Hina Fuuma here, because I doubt AA will bother with it, and she's one of the characters I find most entertaining Smile

The reason why Aria is able to enlist Fuuma's services with food (Light novel spoiler and possibly anime spoiler) spoiler[is because Fuuma is extremely poor. She's a descendant of a famous ninja, but the lineage was never a wealthy one for some reason. So, Fuuma work multiple minimum wage jobs whenever she's not at school in order to be able to afford books, rent, and tuition, but rarely is able to afford food (even though one of her jobs is at a restaurant). The reason she's Kinji's Amica is because Kinji overwhelmed her during an entrance exam (due to him coincidentally being in Hysteria Mode) and Fuuma has looked to him as both a teacher and suitable mate since then; she bothered him more than the other girls who wanted to be his Amica, so he accepted her as a his student to keep her under control.]

Also, Shino and Shirayuki?? That's one scary (but fitting) combination Shocked
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Those guys in class have bad taste. Raika looks pretty even when she is fighting or dressed up. I think she looks cooler than Riko anyways.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate nobody watched this for the Preview Guide thing. So I've just watched episodes 1 and 2, and I think this show is already significantly better than the first series. I honestly felt Kinji and the dumb romcom harem antics got in the way, but with that gone this series is a pretty nice action comedy series. The animation during the action scenes are surprisingly fluid, and I really wasn't expecting that.

Maybe the new studio and staff (Doga Kobo vs. JCstaff) are contributing to this.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
So in this world Kinji is a S rank from freshman year. IIRC Kinji was an E ranked sophomore in the original.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

The series just went full on yuri with a kiss. What is wrong to hate Raika.

Shino drooling over a fight with Akari was kind of funny. Don't quite understand why she got so worked up over Aria with Kinji.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Don't quite understand why she got so worked up over Aria with Kinji.

Shino was enthusiastic about Aria+Kinji because that leaves no room for Akari+Aria which of course in Shino's mind means Shino+Akari is a done deal.

Disappointing that the guy Riko beat was so small minded about losing.

I would want to know why Kirin wants to be an amica to someone she can beat in a fight.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Don't quite understand why she got so worked up over Aria with Kinji.

Shino was enthusiastic about Aria+Kinji because that leaves no room for Akari+Aria which of course in Shino's mind means Shino+Akari is a done deal.

Well I more meant Akari being so upset, but I suppose I wrote it poorly. Akari is jealous that Kinji can be close to Aria because Akari had to work hard to get this chance. Kinji is more of an equal of stature rather than a kouhai waiting for senpai to notice them, so it seemed a bit misplaced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4