• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Noragami Aragoto has had an amazing start, and I am loving every single minute of it.

I have a question for the manga readers. Will it make sense to think that at the current pace the Bishamon arc will wrap up by episode 7 or 8? If so, the rest of the episodes could be anime original material designed to conclude the anime story.

Of course I will prefer a third season, but I imagine that to do that this second season might need to do better than season 1 in terms of Japanese disc sales. And yes, I know that disc sales are not the only factor when green lighting more anime seasons.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this season focus on the Bishamon arc as it's also among one of my favorites in the manga. So far, it's capturing the emotional factors as I have expected and business is really picking up with the latest episodes..

Now I do hope the show can retain this momentum while also having some comedy to spice up the entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Noragami Aragoto has had an amazing start, and I am loving every single minute of it.

I have a question for the manga readers. Will it make sense to think that at the current pace the Bishamon arc will wrap up by episode 7 or 8? If so, the rest of the episodes could be anime original material designed to conclude the anime story.

Of course I will prefer a third season, but I imagine that to do that this second season might need to do better than season 1 in terms of Japanese disc sales. And yes, I know that disc sales are not the only factor when green lighting more anime seasons.

This isn't really spoilery, but just in case:

spoiler[At this rate, they'll wrap up the current arc in about three more episodes, then go right into the next arc that's teased in the opening sequence (Which I can't wait since it's my favorite).]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Considering how the OP is, I'm expecting half the season to be Bishamon's arc, and half to be spoiler[Ebisu's arc, with a bit of Yato's father]. It could be that these characters are in the OP simply because though, a la Medaka Box's second season.

Adaptation-wise they've been doing a good job so far. I haven't noticed any big cuts nor any big additions, both of which the first season had. If they keep going this way results will ultimately be good. I feel like the art has taken a step down though, generally, and the soundtrack is just riding on the first season's. Which is fine, given it was a great soundtrack, but I also wanted more.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. I thought the first season was good but not amazing, but this season's already topped it by far. I've heard good things about this arc before, and I can definitely see why it's so popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The drama, the comedy, the action; it all works -- and looks -- so well.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I love everything about this show!! the music, comedy, animation, the emotions...ahhh it gets to me every time!! I can't wait till spoiler[YATO GETS HIS SHRINE FROM HIYORI!!!] IM GONNA CRY LIKE HELL!!!! Anime cry
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Thank god I caught up with the series, as I'm really having fun with this second season.

Yato is indeed a really likeable character and male lead. His VA helps a lot as well, as he's really talented when it comes to the goofy moments of the anime.

It is always a pleasure to see more of Yukine drama, too. Noragami throws it out of the park when it's focused on Yukine's messed up feelings, especially during that second episode. And the best part is that the show knows how to pass from those sad moments to hilarious scenes featuring some of the best comedy of the season.

And on a little side note, how Noragami's subtle fanservice is presented is beautiful as well. Wink
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lacking material to finish off the season on a conclusive note, Studio Bones came up with an original mini-arc to fill up space.

Glad to hear it wasn't actually in the manga. Those episodes were WAY too close to Rurouni Kenshin's Kurogasa arc. I ought to start reading Noragami's manga soon.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my question. I had no idea that the opening had references to the next arc.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1-3 review wrote:
As a goofball, most of the gags surrounding him land, but you can also tell that this personality is a front hiding some serious pain

I am happy to see this get a good review and I have to agree that the Yato character is one of the more interesting presented over the last several seasons. Yes he is a goofball and often the butt of every poor-loser joke that anyone can ever think of, but when the action starts he is all business and credibly formidable. On top of that he seems to truly care about Yukine and the other people around him. He never lashes back at those who make rather mean-spirited jokes at his expense.

This makes me wonder about his mind-set. Is it possible that as a "calamity" god his personality is formed by wanted to reform himself as a destructive force? As long as he stays impoverished there is only some much damage he can do the human world and maybe that's what is behind his insistence at charging no more than a nickel for each job.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

This makes me wonder about his mind-set. Is it possible that as a "calamity" god his personality is formed by wanted to reform himself as a destructive force? As long as he stays impoverished there is only some much damage he can do the human world and maybe that's what is behind his insistence at charging no more than a nickel for each job.

I think it's actually because 5 yen is the traditional offering for gods in Japan.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
I think it's actually because 5 yen is the traditional offering for gods in Japan.

But his peer gods, Tenjin and Bishamon and for that matter even the God of Poverty Kofuku don't seem to be living under those constraints. They all live pretty comfortably with retainers and no evidence of being short of cash. Somehow I don't think that is all done with 5-yen offerings.

And I suspect that when that 5-yen standard was set, that 5 yen would have been enough to buy a bowl of rice with fish in it.
Mockturtle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm so, so so happy Noragami is back! I'm also glade I own the manga volumes or I'd probably be withering in anticipation of what happens next! And I'm happy Gabriella is covering the series as I can guess she'll have some interesting insights into the upcoming arcs! Heck, even if she has nothing but negative criticism, I can imagine that it'll still be an interesting POV. This review, I think, highlights all of the strengths of Noragami really well, especially the relationships, characters and its wide appeal.

Also I'm glade most people are aware that the 3 last episodes of the last season were filler, although I feel like it's going to be difficult to get around them as they paint Yato's character completely differently than the manga did. I don't think that change is necessarily bad, but I wasn't a fan of Bone's descion to make Yato a Kenshin-like secret badass character. Especially since Yato's character is more like spoiler[ like a naive child struggling to grow up and gain responsibilty and healthy relationships ] than a shonen secret-dark-badass trying to find redemption (though he is also sort of trying to find redemption, it's a little more complicated than that). I think they also made the mistake of making Hiyori forget in the last season, as spoiler[ it's pretty necessary for her to forget again this season. But since they've already done a "hiyori forgets" arc it may make the whole thing fall flat, since we're already seen it happen before. ]

Quote:
The most surprising thing about Noragami was its emotional resonance. While I came in expecting a supernatural shoujo romance ala Kamisama Kiss, Noragami turned out to be closer in spirit to Fruits Basket. Sure, romance is hinted at, but the real meat turns out to be a realistic examination of trauma, grief, and the nature of family.

I found this observation really interesting! I've never really considered it but Noragami is very similar to Fruits Basket, especially since they both explore permanence, bonds and family. Also, as will be revealed later, Yato is some what similar to Akito from Fruits Basket, well, at least in terms of his fears and anxieties.

Quote:
Manga author Adachitoka writes women as people, and I think that's part of why her work is so popular.

It is also interesting to note that Adachitoka is actually two mangaka under one pen name (both of them are women). Also, interestingly, I'm pretty sure they're both manga artists, and I'm pretty sure this is the first manga both of them have written (which is probably why the art of the manga is so good). Though, somebody's probably going to have to check, I can't quiet remember.

Anywho, sorry for the long post IIIIIIII'm pretty Noragami obsessed atm

Last edited by Mockturtle on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Videogamep wrote:

But his peer gods, Tenjin and Bishamon and for that matter even the God of Poverty Kofuku don't seem to be living under those constraints. They all live pretty comfortably with retainers and no evidence of being short of cash. Somehow I don't think that is all done with 5-yen offerings.

And I suspect that when that 5-yen standard was set, that 5 yen would have been enough to buy a bowl of rice with fish in it.

5 yen may be the standard, but much like any other religion, believers are encouraged to throw in bigger denominations. When it comes to Shinto shrines it is customary to throw in a coin when you pray, but coins can go up to 500 yen. Shrines also sell protection charms, fortune-telling, stamps , ema (wooden plaques to write your wishes), etc. Most of these items cost 400 yen or more. A big shrine has a lot of sources of income, which Yato doesn't have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12