• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The King of Fighters XIV PS4 Game to Feature 50 Fighters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
What baffles me out about this trailer is two things:

SNK sure are drilling into everyone's heads that this is definitely the next entry in KOF.

2. The game looks better than when I last saw it (which was when the first trailer was released). That makes me happy. Smile
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm now far less harsh on the graphics after learning that there's going to be a 50-char roster from the onset. Hearing some interesting stuff from notable KOF players like Romance about the game, and I've heard there might be Just Defend in the game.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
A fifty character roster reminds of the good old days of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Unless you saw PSX videos you can't judge the gameplay.

It looks decent, but people are too much graphic waifu theae days, if you want realistic and 60fps stuff go to PC.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Well in the end, the most important thing about fighters is how the gameplay plays out, will it be like the good KoF games, or will it fail and be some unbalanced mess thanks to the giant roster. Still, 50 characters is a great thing to hear, and we might even forgive the bland 3D look. Still mad they did the switch. 2D SNK was sex for the eyes, so it's still sad to see it switch to cheaper 3D models. All I want is Mary to return, and I'll be happy.

Also, PS4 exclusive, or just timed exclusive? I know that consoles are the main platform for fighting games, but I really want that Steam release.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
Still mad they did the switch. 2D SNK was sex for the eyes, so it's still sad to see it switch to cheaper 3D models.

SNK technically did the switch back in KOF XII, because the "sprites" in XII & XIII were actually just 3D models that were drawn over, hence why they both looked so outstanding.

In fact, there are comparison videos on YouTube already that show that SNK is actually re-using the 3D models from XIII for any of the returning characters. This time, though, they aren't being drawn over, hence why they look visually different. It's also easy to give the re-used models new outfits, too.

As for the newly revealed characters, I'm glad Billy is back in & I really never would have expected to see Angel return. In fact, these reveals are giving real credence to a rumored leaked semi-roster from a month or so ago that was in Chinese. It only outright states a about half of the characters (the rest were either simple descriptions or untranslated), but it did list 16 teams, 50 characters, & the return of Angel. If that rumored leak is true then KOF XIV's line-up should be really good.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Unless you saw PSX videos you can't judge the gameplay.

It looks decent, but people are too much graphic waifu theae days, if you want realistic and 60fps stuff go to PC.

There are videos out there, so yes, we can judge the gameplay to a degree (it's looking very good gameplay-wise). And I don't consider expecting a next-gen console fighting game to look decent to be "graphic waifuing". AFAIK, nobody's asking for top-of-the-line PC graphics, because they like KOFXIII's aesthetics, which are 2D. From the start, I've been saying the graphics clearly weren't finalised and after learning that there's gonna be 50 chars straight off the boat, they should be given slack. It does look a lot better now, FWIW.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
A fifty character roster reminds of the good old days of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

but it also mean that it might end up being the last KOF game in that universe cause right after MK armageddon the newest one was a complete reboot.

dont be surprised that the next KOF game will not be KOF XV but a complete reboot version.

Quote:
Sony stated that while the game visuals will feature 3D graphics, the game keeps the classic 2D gameplay.

Does this mean that they will be following the same elements of Street Fighter IV, Or similar to Guilty Gear Xrd?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1