• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga for the Canine Inclined

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting list.

Yeah, you can't forget about 'Weed' but I would have thought the prequel 'Ginga Nagareboshi Gin' would have been on the list first but I guess since humans are kind of involved in that story whereas 'Weed' is just about 'Weed' then it makes more sense.

I love the 'Ginga Nagareboshi Gin' TV man oh man talk about hot-blooded dogs. I still have to watch the 'Weed' series. But the first time I came across Yoshihiro Takahashi was in a used Japanese manga shop in NJ. I was really fascinated that such a work existed. Dog fights. Dog fights so nasty that one contender had a rock sewn into his head. I mean it's so insane but you can't help but sit back and enjoy the action of how it plays out.

I'm a huge canine lover. So this is definitely for me.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
How did Fullmetal Alchemist make the poll? It's not a Shonen Jump manga. It was published monthly in Square Enix manga magazine.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Slight correction: Yoshihiro Takahashi went on to work with Ginga Legend Weed: Orion, the sequel following Weed's offspring. Ginga Densetsu Riki was a one-shot prequel published in 2002 while Weed was still running.

I like Takashi's works, but I've never seen him write a really good female character. Cross was fine, but she was outspoken about not wanting to be treated as a female. He also likes to make them die of illness or accidentally. His beloved female dog Hanako died of sickness, and I wonder if he carries that. His art also started going downhill sometime in the middle of Weed's run. Maybe it improved by Orion's end.

Takahashi also wrote a lot about dog fighting in the past, though I think he started doing less with it as time wore on. One of his early dog works, Shiroi Senshi Yamato, was all about about dog fighting. I distinctly remember this Nazi dog called Bayern with a swastika burned on his chest. He does weird over the top stuff like that. All those ninja dogs and whatnot...

I read the first 5 or so volumes of Inubaka and then donated them. On top of not finding any of the characters particularly likable, the harsh realities of Japan's homeless animal population dampened my enthusiasm. The series touched on it slightly, but it didn't make much sense in context: main male character is spoiler[scarred in his youth by all the homeless animals that will be euthanized, but then becomes a manager of a pet shop, attempts to breed more, and still goes on about how his goal is to end animal homelessness.] Maybe things changed later on.

Speaking of dog series, I recently picked up the first volume of Inuyashiki. It's not about dogs, but it's definitely...dog-influenced? Also very heavy-handed with everything it does.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I am 100% sure that at least half of the people who voted on the previous poll just read the "best anime introduction" part and completely tl;dr'ed the heck out of the "Shonen Jump" and especially the "FOR KIDS" parts. Because that is how limited the attention span is of this generation....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Okay, I am 100% sure that at least half of the people who voted on the previous poll just read the "best anime introduction" part and completely tl;dr'ed the heck out of the "Shonen Jump" and especially the "FOR KIDS" parts.

Considering some of the results that does seem likely.

Quote:
Because that is how limited the attention span is of this generation....

Which generation?
Visitors to this site range from children to senior citizens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Its a shame that Viz never completed Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs. On the other hand, I'm not sure it was actually going anywhere. Mostly a platform for the artist to show semi-realistic drawings of dogs and to give care tips.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Okay, I am 100% sure that at least half of the people who voted on the previous poll just read the "best anime introduction" part and completely tl;dr'ed the heck out of the "Shonen Jump" and especially the "FOR KIDS" parts. Because that is how limited the attention span is of this generation....

That and they misunderstood the definition of introduction, which in this case means which manga series should a newcomer to manga/anime from Shonen Jump should read first, not which title had the best series introduction.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sherlock Bones is very underrated. The cases are fun, and Holmes makes for an adorable dog. Also, it's from the author of Kindaichi Case Files.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Belldandy is mentioned twice in the poll.

Also, spoiler[Kuso Asuna from Maison Ikkoku] is a huge dog lover. But the show itself doesn't revolve around dogs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked Inubaka. The romantic leanings were understated, developing slowly but surely, the supporting characters were fun, and the art was clean and detailed. I was upset that Viz never finished it.

I voted for Yu-Gi-Oh as a good Shonen Jump introductory anime, as its very kid-focused, and it was on American kids TV for years, so it's already worked as an introductory anime. I was thinking kids under 10--even if FMA were a Shonen Jump title, it wouldn't be appropriate for younger children.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
While Inubaka really does seem like a series I'd like, it's something I'll never read due to its English release being cancelled.

Sherlock Bones sounds interesting, may be worth checking out. But, Pon-chan...morbid curiosity may get me to hunt down that OOP manga. Laughing

As for the poll, I'm inclined to side with Kyon.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Although Excel Saga is not a manga about dogs, it does contain my favorite dog character.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I liked Inubaka. The romantic leanings were understated, developing slowly but surely, the supporting characters were fun, and the art was clean and detailed. I was upset that Viz never finished it.

Totally right there with you. The thing that always struck me as werid with inubaka was that the fanservice was almost always exclusively in the chapter title pages. It felt like the editor or magazine told them they NEEDED to add it in there if they wanted to be published.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
I voted for Yu-Gi-Oh as a good Shonen Jump introductory anime, as its very kid-focused, and it was on American kids TV for years, so it's already worked as an introductory anime. I was thinking kids under 10--even if FMA were a Shonen Jump title, it wouldn't be appropriate for younger children.[/quote]

Yep YU-GI-OH was what introduced me to anime. I went to rewatch it years later and learned it was anime. Oh and pokemon too, still watch on boomerang at 5 central time.
jonip

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Yeah, you can't forget about 'Weed' but I would have thought the prequel 'Ginga Nagareboshi Gin' would have been on the list first but I guess since humans are kind of involved in that story whereas 'Weed' is just about 'Weed' then it makes more sense.

I think that Ginga Nagareboshi Gin is not so human centered that it cannot be on this list. It's very much about dogs fighting against other dogs and bears. First two volumes of it are the best Takahashi I have ever read. Like someone said once, the beginning of the series has a very good Jack London style atmosphere.

But the Weed series is not my thing. It is very generic and basically tells the same things with dogs than its prequel but just can't get the right tone of it. Though I have to admit that I have read only ten volumes of Weed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2