• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Closes Patreon for Fan-Made Super Mario Brothers/Sonic Animation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It keeps getting worse and worse. First Pokémon Reorchestrated, now this. I can understand being protective of your property but understand what will harm you.

#WTFU

Last edited by ParaChomp on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bathory67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
It keeps getting worse and worse. First Pokémon Reorchestrated, now this. I can understand being protective of your property but understand what will harm you.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=WTFU"]#WTFU[/url]

agree with you on this ,it seems Japanese companies need to realize our fair use laws and we have to fight back
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the issue here. If you try to make your living off someone else's copyrights you should have a backup plan in case they actually decide to enforce the law.

-Stuart Smith.[/img]
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Bathory67 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=WTFU"]#WTFU[/url]

agree with you on this ,it seems Japanese companies need to realize our fair use laws and we have to fight back

Also join mundanematts thunderclap thing.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/37912-where-s-the-fair-use-wtfu

What are you guys talking about? How is it fair use if they are making money by using copyrighted material? The only fair use is by NOT making money. They should be glad that they weren't sued, since it's illegal.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
People, you need to realize the facts. They are not making money off of this. They are making money off of donations which is completely different. The videos do not generate a profit. The profit comes from people paying someone to make these videos.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Aside of Nintendo being more draconian than when Newgrounds was a popular thing.

He wanted to make profit with stuff that its not his authorship...

ParaChomp wrote:

#WTFU

I think they are going a little bit overboard with the policy copyright stuff... I can agree with the tag at least.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
People, you need to realize the facts. They are not making money off of this. They are making money off of donations which is completely different. The videos do not generate a profit. The profit comes from people paying someone to make these videos.

Still seems like they are getting money from people for using other people's IP. If there was no money involved, I can see it being okay.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Once you start talking about receiving money for a project involving someone else's copyrighted material, you are at the copyright owner's mercy.

I won't get mad at Nintendo for this, but it would be nice if they laid off copyright strikes in at least a few areas. People are already restricted from streaming Nintendo games on Youtube.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

So they are making money of this. No videos means no donations. Or are people donating money for some other reason?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

That still comes down to receiving money for something that uses property belonging to someone else. Just because random people like it enough to pay money for it does not change the fact that he used something that didn't belong to him without permission. All it does is change the order in which the money changed hands. Instead of someone paying to watch a video after it was made, they are paying before it gets made.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Fair use doesn't apply here. He's wholesale using a lot of copyrighted content in his videos. If Nintendo didn't stop him, Sega likely would.

I can understand the #WTFU hashtag when it's used for legit cases of fair use, but this isn't one of them.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Alright, you guys do bring up valid points. If he did get permission to use these properties and make a profit off of it, then there would be reason to be upset.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It was...fun while it lasted?
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I remember watching some of these back in the day. I didn't know he was still making them (last one I saw was episode 6? And that one took a long time to get released).

Not surprised that this happened, though. Even if the money were donations he received, he's still using things in the videos that didn't belong to him.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:

What are you guys talking about? How is it fair use if they are making money by using copyrighted material? The only fair use is by NOT making money. They should be glad that they weren't sued, since it's illegal.

That's not quite true (that Fair Use is only applicable if not making money), but this situation specifically probably can't be defended under Fair Use regardless.

Nintendo has made plenty of dumb decisions in the past with unjustified take downs, but this one might be justifiable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3