• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Fushigi Yugi Anime to Catalog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, hot damn! I haven't seen Fushigi Yugi in years.

Time to rewatch. Cool
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Saw this this morning! I can't decide if I should give Fushigi Yuugi another try. When I watched it like 10 years ago I rage quit when spoiler[Nuriko died].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
You mean I can watch Fushigi Yuugi with David Hayter's Tamahome? That's awesome! I love the world of this series, so much so that Genbu Kaiden is one of my all-time favourite manga, and being able to finally watch the anime of the original is going to be exciting.
pikopika

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
How nostalgic~
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm always a little surprised (disappointed) that Fushigi Yugi news threads don't just devolve into people yelling "MIAKA!" "TAMAHOME!" at each other. :p

I'm glad it's available, but let's just say I'm also glad I watched it 15 years ago.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen it but since they got it, I might check it out after I finish up One Piece and Detective Conan. I imagine it'll still be up in the four or so months it'll take me to finish those two. Glad I don't have to go to less...legitimate places to see it.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Saw this this morning! I can't decide if I should give Fushigi Yuugi another try. When I watched it like 10 years ago I rage quit when spoiler[Nuriko died].

I remember being in shock for quite a while after that moment. I was the sheltered child who did not quite comprehend the idea that writers could spoiler[kill off main characters]. But then later on what pissed me off more was when they spoiler[were brought back as ghosts]. I thought it was a stupid cop out.

In any case, I have been waiting for this since Crunchyroll acquired Ceres. Do not think the series will hold up very well now that I'm an adult, tbh, but I will marathon it in the name of memories.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This news frustrates me more than anything.

1. This is more of a personal reason, but at my last anime convention, I bought Fushigi Yuugi because I couldn't find a place to legally watch it. This was about a month ago. So if I had waited just a little longer... dang.

2. A legit complaint. WHY DOES GASH BELL (sigh... Zatch Bell) HAVE TO BE DUB ONLY!? I love the Japanese version, and the English is a very poorly acted adaptation. I understand its appeal as a kids show, but even as far as dubs for kids shows go, I can stomach Digimon and even enjoy some seasons dubbed (especially Tamers). With Gash Bell, after watching the subtitled version, the dub is clearly lacking a certain level of emotion. Especially with Kiyomaro (ugh... Kiyo). Gash (Zatch) himself sounds pretty annoying too. Not adorable little hyper kid annoying, just annoying. This has been a hangup of mine for a while. The dub. I would happily go out and support the series if they released the DVDs with a Japanese audio track, but that would require getting rid of the blood edits and censorship that the American version had. Not that I think it should matter. Unlike Pokemon, Yugioh, and Digimon, Gash Bell was a cult classic rather than a smash hit here. It's not like 4 year olds are going in hordes to buy it on DVD and potentially see a more violent version.

I don't care if you like the dub. Good for you. But there's no reason that the sub shouldn't be an option considering literally everything else on Crunchyroll.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Wiesteria wrote:
Do not think the series will hold up very well now that I'm an adult, tbh, but I will marathon it in the name of memories.

I have only watched it as an adult and the more I watch it(& older I get) the more I love it. Fushigi Yugi has it all, an emotional epic with intense drama, adventure & even some action. I seem to appreciate just how well its all done every time I watch it. To me thinking this show only appeals to young teen girls is outrages because I believe it has wide appeal.

I watched MB's re-release a few years ago so I won't be watching the stream. I'd rather wait for for a possible remastered blu-ray release. I'm surprised it hasn't happened.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Wiesteria wrote:
Do not think the series will hold up very well now that I'm an adult, tbh, but I will marathon it in the name of memories.

I have only watched it as an adult and the more I watch it(& older I get) the more I love it. Fushigi Yugi has it all, an emotional epic with intense drama, adventure & even some action. I seem to appreciate just how well its all done every time I watch it. To me thinking this show only appeals to young teen girls is outrages because I believe it has wide appeal.

I watched MB's re-release a few years ago so I won't be watching the stream. I'd rather wait for for a possible remastered blu-ray release. I'm surprised it hasn't happened.

I can see why adults would like the show, but I'm not too sure I as an adult would enjoy it as much because the older I grow the more tired I get of a lot of the tropes and choices in characterization that shoujo reverse harems embrace. That said, I haven't seen the show in ages, so we shall see.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Miaka!
Tamahome!
Miaka!
Tamahome!
Miaka!
Tamahome!
Miaka!
Tamahome!

Well that got a little annoying.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm if they just got ZEXAL would that mean that crunchyroll at some point would get Arc-V?

If so that's be nice that crunchyroll got all of the yu-gi-oh shows to date.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I'm always a little surprised (disappointed) that Fushigi Yugi news threads don't just devolve into people yelling "MIAKA!" "TAMAHOME!" at each other. :p

Ahh, like they did back in the good old days...

While I cheer any classic 90's license-rescue on CR, and that they're now adding Media Blasters to their streaming "orphanage" of Discotek and Nozomi--there's got to be some way we can get the new kids to watch the true era of anime! Very Happy --I also have to be rational and say that it's nice, but Fan-Vintage doesn't always mean Classic. Much of the fondness for the series seems to be from the days when uniting anime fans watched it for being one of the only things on disk and tape.
Which explains why all Usenet-era fans DID was shout "Miaka!" and "Tamahome!" back and forth, thinking that it was all one was supposed to talk about in the anime community.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578: For the dub-only thing, while they might say it was a rights issue, I think it may have been that the rights holders simply refused the sub for whatever reason.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
You mean I can watch Fushigi Yuugi with David Hayter's Tamahome? That's awesome! I love the world of this series, so much so that Genbu Kaiden is one of my all-time favourite manga, and being able to finally watch the anime of the original is going to be exciting.

except in Eikoden where he was voiced by Dave Wittenberg.

About Zatch Bell,it's a REAL waste of time watching it because:

1- the english dub was your typical 4Kids-style job done by Sho-Pro/Viz (though it's less intense and watchable and they handled it better than their job with Megaman NT Warrior, but the changed soundtrack and some edits are still annoying and obvious to notice,especially with guns,which were 4Kids level of shitty edit.)
The only good thing the dub has going for it is that they got some VAs who usually don't work in anime like Debi Derryberry,Richard Horvitz and Gwendoline Yeo.

2- the dub was never completed (Crunchyroll only added 101-104 because those were the last ones dubbed.Don't expect them to add more unless it's subbed,which probably won't happen either...)

3- the anime itself was incomplete since,as usual,it reached the manga(though deciding to do that after 150 episodes is a big middle finger to the audience,but not bigger than Bleach doing that after 366 episodes,heh...)so,why even bother?

and to add insult to injury,Viz's release of the manga was cancelled with only a couple of volumes left to reach the ending (though that probably had to do with the fallout between the author and Shogakukan that happened at the time...) .So,yeah,there's no way to check the series to the end through official means for North American fans...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2