• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Front: The Ultimate Tour

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Great piece! It's nice to have a succinct editorial like this which I could use for when I eventually get there myself. Now I know what's there and I don't have to scour 40 million random blog posts to compile it for myself.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. Very enjoyable read. I wish I could go there myself someday.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The article came across as an advertisement, but hey, I'm not complaining since we got to see such a high level of detail. Wow is that museum amazing. Seeing White Base next to A Baoa Qu with accurate scaling was a sight to behold.

If I had the necessary money I would spend it all to make my own gundam. Some would say feeding the poor is a more worthwhile cause but I disagree. And no-one could argue because I'd have my own freaking gundam (even if it was painfully slow and unarmed) and they wouldn't have anything except a sore neck from looking up at me.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The life-size Gundam is even more impressive in person. It's not until you stand under it that you can appreciate the sheer size of it! I'm really happy that I got the chance to see it for myself. I didn't get to see the museum when I was there, but if all goes well, I'll be returning to Tokyo this August.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the article didn't mention that the present location of the life-sized Gundam model is also in Odaiba:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@35.6244301,139.7754668,103m/data=!3m1!1e3
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
WOW that is Amazing I'll definitely have to check out all the Gundam locations for myself one of these days. Very Happy
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Gahh what I wouldn't give to go there!
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was at Diver City to see the life size Gundam last October. Now I'm sad I didn't go inside. Had no idea there was a giant A Baoa Qu model inside!

Then again this isn't a very big place. It looks very similar to a lot of other anime mini-theme-parks in Tokyo (like J-World) where they're cool and have a lot of photo op spots but there isn't really very much to do except buy merchandise or play kids games.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
... there isn't really very much to do except buy merchandise or play kids games.

When in that area I've often visited the Miraikan (great modern science museum and from time to time has anime related special exhibitions) and one time took advantage of being able to see the former Antarctic research ship, Soya free of charge.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Nice article... but you have to pay? Or is that only for the galleries? Because I visited the Gunpla museum twice last summer and they didn't charge for admission. The Gundam clock in the store was beautiful but pricey. The Gundam Front store is worth checking out both for the impressive stock of Gunpla and for the exclusives, which aren't much more than the regular editions. And I agree that the life size Gundam is even more impressive in person. You really get a sense of how big and powerful this thing would be if it worked. The Gunpla museum is also incredible. I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but I still spent an hour just taking pictures and looking at every model they had.

As an aside the sunset view looking out from Diver city to the Rainbow Bridge is simply gorgeous. Also the mall has a noitamina store which has interesting souvenirs.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
I believe it may have been during Chara Hobby or Gundam Big Expo several years ago, but they had a booth where an employee was inside designing the box art for a new Gunpla. That was pretty cool. Alas, no video was allowed.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Shame all the pictures in this article are so low res. Anyone have high res pictures of GFT with the models??
Black_Kendoka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Shame all the pictures in this article are so low res. Anyone have high res pictures of GFT with the models??

The gallery includes the rest of the pictures I took while I was in Japan back in May, but there are also some photos I took while I went to Gundam Front Tokyo.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskdnN7Uo
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
Black_Kendoka wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

The gallery includes the rest of the pictures I took while I was in Japan back in May, but there are also some photos I took while I went to Gundam Front Tokyo.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskdnN7Uo

Thank you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1