• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia English 'Roll Call' Videos Introduce Bakugo, Yaoyorozu, More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
"Video not available."
Anyone know any alternate sources?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it could be fun. I'm not terribly sold on the wackier character designs, but the idea of so many unusual powers together could be great.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Sounds like it could be fun. I'm not terribly sold on the wackier character designs, but the idea of so many unusual powers together could be great.
It's a very fun series. Not completely innovative but it's a breath of fresh air among other contemporary manga. It does a wonderful job juxtaposing its humor and serious moments and the character development is done extremely well. Here's hoping you enjoy it! I just started binge reading this series myself a few weeks ago.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
So who's doing the voiceover for these "Roll Calls" anyway?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:

Luci Cristian I think. Now that I think of it, the voice sounds similar to that same sassy voice used in the narration of the Ookami-San dub.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
ReNellGlover wrote:

Luci Cristian I think. Now that I think of it, the voice sounds similar to that same sassy voice used in the narration of the Ookami-San dub.

It is her or at least that is what I'm hearing as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Katsuki will be able to effectively traverse school grounds without accidentally setting off an explosion? Wink
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder how Katsuki will be able to effectively traverse school grounds without accidentally setting off an explosion? Wink

Simple: he dosen't! Laughing

I'll admit the first two (bakugou and Minetnta) did make me chuckle a little but it's no surprise the other two were as "there" as the one for Midoriya and All might. Seeing as they're pretty strait-man/woman-ish or fairly stoic (in tokoyami's case) it makes sense but it was abit of a let down after having two relativly amusing- Jesus Christ, I'm critiquing a [expletive] commercial .
TheAAA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Funi is pushing this so hard in English already is interesting. It's been touted as the successor to Naruto and the next massive, potentially-decade-spanning, widely-appealing action manga, so I guess it's not surprising, but I've never seen Funi preemptively push a show this hard. It bodes well for a run on Toonami or something, but the fact that it's apparently only 12 episodes doesn't. Toonami rarely runs shows less than 2 cours unless they're ludicrously cheap to license (like Deadman Wonderland) or some of the best the medium has to offer (like FLCL). The fact that Dimension W just started probably doesn't help either, although Parasyte's going to end soon. I have no doubt that My Hero Academia will be popular regardless, but a TV run would be cool, because it's overall a lot more all-ages than a lot of popular manga out there and it'd be good to expose anime to a younger crowd than AS generally reaches.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
TheAAA wrote:
The fact that Funi is pushing this so hard in English already is interesting. It's been touted as the successor to Naruto and the next massive, potentially-decade-spanning, widely-appealing action manga, so I guess it's not surprising, but I've never seen Funi preemptively push a show this hard. It bodes well for a run on Toonami or something, but the fact that it's apparently only 12 episodes doesn't. Toonami rarely runs shows less than 2 cours unless they're ludicrously cheap to license (like Deadman Wonderland) or some of the best the medium has to offer (like FLCL). The fact that Dimension W just started probably doesn't help either, although Parasyte's going to end soon. I have no doubt that My Hero Academia will be popular regardless, but a TV run would be cool, because it's overall a lot more all-ages than a lot of popular manga out there and it'd be good to expose anime to a younger crowd than AS generally reaches.

Yea, I've never seen them push a series so hard
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
Yea, I've never seen them push a series so hard

There are multiple reasons why MHA is being pushed this hard, perhaps without precedent.

1. FUNi is losing ALL of Fullmetal Alchemist over the next few months, which is one of their AAA titles. That's a huge license that's vanishing and they need a replacement STAT. Not to mention that Darker Than Black S2, Birdy, and their other Aniplex titles will be vanishing over the next couple of years too, some more valuable than others.

2. FUNi is the master licensor for MHA. That means everyone outside of the Japanese themselves has to go to FUNi to get the tapes, materials, etc. FUNi spent a hell of a lot of capital in order to get this role.

3. FUNi's license list for spring outside of MHA is thin so far, likely because of reason number 2. Outside of redubbing Escaflowne, they don't have a lot of new dub projects announced other than wrapping up their Winter 2016 simuldubs. Crunchyroll is snatching almost everything thus far.

I am under the impression FUNi more or less is betting the farm on MHA being the next big thing, and that's why they went above and beyond in obtaining the rights to it. They NEED this to do well, especially if their spring 2016 offerings remains this thin. So they're going to push this extremely hard so people know it's out there and watch it so they can start getting immediate returns.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for the premiere of My Hero Academia and for the English Dub I'm so Hyped right now. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I am under the impression FUNi more or less is betting the farm on MHA being the next big thing, and that's why they went above and beyond in obtaining the rights to it. They NEED this to do well, especially if their spring 2016 offerings remains this thin. So they're going to push this extremely hard so people know it's out there and watch it so they can start getting immediate returns.
It seems a bit strange if it only has 13 episode, they may be banking on more, or maybe there is more later and they know about it. They must want another DBZ, something long that they re-release forever and make a lot of money from. They should of gotten One Punch Man, that looks like it is going to be big in the west.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

2. FUNi is the master licensor for MHA. That means everyone outside of the Japanese themselves has to go to FUNi to get the tapes, materials, etc. FUNi spent a hell of a lot of capital in order to get this role.

I had a feeling they were at least more heavily involved with this show than normal. I hadn't seen anything indicating it was necessarily a co-production, but at the same time, a lot of marketing effort is going into the show, so I wasn't sure what the deal was.

I have to assume at this point that it will be one of the upcoming broadcast dubs considering how much they are pushing it.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
1. FUNi is losing ALL of Fullmetal Alchemist over the next few months, which is one of their AAA titles.
And by "next few months", you mean *checks calendar* tomorrow.

I very much doubt that Funi is betting their entire existence on one 13 episode show, but I'm sure they are definitely interested in making this stick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2