• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is really starting to get sad. Some of these shows have to be dualcasts between CR and FUNi, right? FUNi isn't really going to try to just limp through this season with My Hero Academia, AssClass 2, One Piece and what few scraps they can grab on the cheap, are they? Right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Is this the same thing as the 7 episode OVA?
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Is the English dub going to be streamed on CR or is that just on Daisuki?
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Ok this is really starting to get sad. Some of these shows have to be dualcasts between CR and FUNi, right? FUNi isn't really going to try to just limp through this season with My Hero Academia, AssClass 2, One Piece and what few scraps they can grab on the cheap, are they? Right?

I'm not sure if they are desperate by trying to push My Hero Academia so hard, or they are just that confident in it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
@Koda89 It seems that way, maybe Sunrise wants to take agency and they feel it is best to work with CR and then RightStuff than Funimation. It seemed to of worked well with Turn A.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

It really does make you think though, If My Hero Academia ends up being their only show that people are interested in, where does that leave them if it ends up being a massive flop on their site? With all these roll call videos and the apparent live stream countdown they are having for the first episode, it seems they are very confident it'll be a hit, but it certainly would be rather embarrassing if it wasn't.

But hey, until they announce their spring lineup this is all just speculation on my part.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
#847198 wrote:

Nope, this is the 2-cour TV edit.

Blankslate wrote:
Is the English dub going to be streamed on CR or is that just on Daisuki?

No confirmation yet on whether Crunchyroll will have the dub of the TV version.
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

It really does make you think though, If My Hero Academia ends up being their only show that people are interested in, where does that leave them if it ends up being a massive flop on their site? With all these roll call videos and the apparent live stream countdown they are having for the first episode, it seems they are very confident it'll be a hit, but it certainly would be rather embarrassing if it wasn't.

But hey, until they announce their spring lineup this is all just speculation on my part.

For FUNi's sake, with all the effort and seeming desperation they are pushing the show with, the show has to be a hit in the ballpark of One Punch Man. I know that is setting the ceiling really high, in terms of how popular a show needs to be with Western anime fans, but in all honesty, they really do need it to be that big of a success, especially if the rest of their lineup is just held together by string and duct tape.

Then again, we might be overreacting here. I think part of the reason we are so, I dunno if "worried" is the right word here but can't think of anything better, is because FUNi really stepped their game up throughout all of 2015 and even up to Winter of this year. But for the majority of their history simulcasting titles, they've actually had some really small ass lineups with only one or two big titles to anchor it. So it wouldn't be that out of place for them to have another season like that. It is just, I think some of us didn't exactly want them to go back to that. Sad

But again, this is, like you said, just speculation for now. Still, season starts Friday and they haven't announced anything new aside from MHA. >_>
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^Honestly, with how hard they are pushing it, it almost seems like that really is all they've got right now. Like, if they had a super strong line up, I kind of feel like they might not being pushing it quite as much, and would instead be promoting their cool new line up. The fact that they are so furiously pushing this one singular title doesn't bode well.

Anyway, yeah, 'tis all speculation, but to be fair, there isn't a whole lot left to announce that I'm looking forward to. Just a few "I'll give it a shot" series' and Concrete Revolutio.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Just gonna complain about having bought every volume of the OVA on Blu-Ray for 50+ bucks a pop, when I could have just waited a few years. Thanks, Bandai. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I don't get the impression they are Pushing Unicorn at all, its just there to feel a gap until Season 2 of IBO airs in the fall, or when the IBO dub comes, that the only thing I get from this, which I have no issue with its like a nice way to Hype up IBO season 2 at least for me.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I think FUNimation's confidence in My Hero Academia is well placed, but they could use more.

penguintruth wrote:
Just gonna complain about having bought every volume of the OVA on Blu-Ray for 50+ bucks a pop, when I could have just waited a few years. Thanks, Bandai. Evil or Very Mad

I fortunately only have one OVA lying around somewhere unwatched. This extends to a lot of the things I know about, bought or can't buy since the UK anime industry isn't great. Streams more than make up for DVD/Bluray sets at least here.

I will look into getting the sets for the original show and Turn A though.
TheLineOfSight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up the OAVS on DVD from my library. 7 episodes across 4 discs. Watching them now. Check your local libraries' websites to see if they ordered any for checking out.
Sakurie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Even though I only just recently watched the OVA's I'm pretty excited for this. It'll be intresting to see what they add to it (if anything) and spoiler[if they redo the dub for the ending scene so you actually hear Amuro's voice instead of some random.]

Seeing more Sinanju in action is never a bad thing imo Cool
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
#847198 wrote:

It's a two cour TV series that will use the animation from the OVAs. The OVAs have about 20 episodes worth of animation so if Sunrise whats 24-26 episodes they will need to add in new scenes.
penguintruth wrote:

I feel your pain buddy. I really want them to add something substantial with the new scenes (if we get any), but it means I'm gonna have to buy the series all over again to get the definitive edition.
dark13 wrote:
Honestly I don't get the impression they are Pushing Unicorn at all, its just there to feel a gap until Season 2 of IBO airs in the fall, or when the IBO dub comes, that the only thing I get from this, which I have no issue with its like a nice way to Hype up IBO season 2 at least for me.

Well, the show is kind of a "last minute" effort by Sunrise to fill the time slot that was originally held by another one of their shows, "Brave Beats". Brave Beats was suppose to last until the fall season, but was cancelled at 22 episodes. This would explain why Unicorn is airing on a time slot for children.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2