Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Winter 2016 Season




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2669
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Surprise at IBO drop in the last few episodes, those were some of the best mech episode I've ever seen (although I guess the massive cop out of spoiler["nobody is dead"] probably help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aezreal



Joined: 05 Apr 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It's possible I'm not understanding this correctly, but aren't the rankings for the final episode just a repeat of the previous score if the shows had already finished airing?
As far as I can tell only two aired their final episode past the Mar 25 - Apr 1 week (SGRS and Dagashi Kashi), which could push other episodes above or below as they changed rankings, but why is it that a bunch of shows that had all aired their final episode by that point ended up swapping positions from the "Mar25 - Apr1" to the "final ep." column? Like KonoSuba and Haikyu, or IBO and 3 other shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellsoldier



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 495
Location: Porto,Portugal,Europe,Earth,Sol
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Aezreal wrote:
It's possible I'm not understanding this correctly, but aren't the rankings for the final episode just a repeat of the previous score if the shows had already finished airing?
As far as I can tell only two aired their final episode past the Mar 25 - Apr 1 week (SGRS and Dagashi Kashi), which could push other episodes above or below as they changed rankings, but why is it that a bunch of shows that had all aired their final episode by that point ended up swapping positions from the "Mar25 - Apr1" to the "final ep." column? Like KonoSuba and Haikyu, or IBO and 3 other shows.


Because they're comparing final values. For example, Show A ended a week before, and has an average of 4.7. Show B ended this week with an average of 4.5. Because the final episode of Show A was better rated, it goes above Show B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Aezreal



Joined: 05 Apr 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Aezreal wrote:
It's possible I'm not understanding this correctly, but aren't the rankings for the final episode just a repeat of the previous score if the shows had already finished airing?
As far as I can tell only two aired their final episode past the Mar 25 - Apr 1 week (SGRS and Dagashi Kashi), which could push other episodes above or below as they changed rankings, but why is it that a bunch of shows that had all aired their final episode by that point ended up swapping positions from the "Mar25 - Apr1" to the "final ep." column? Like KonoSuba and Haikyu, or IBO and 3 other shows.


Because they're comparing final values. For example, Show A ended a week before, and has an average of 4.7. Show B ended this week with an average of 4.5. Because the final episode of Show A was better rated, it goes above Show B.


I know that. To be clear, I'm referring to the non-cumulative episode rankings. What I'm asking is if the values for "final episode" are taken from the week said final episode aired, why are there shows swapping positions from that final week to the "final episode" column, when they aired in the same week. The ratings should in theory remain the same relatively (they could both go down or up, or be separated by the insertion of another show that aired at a later date, but not swap positions).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 3632
Location: Montreal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
You're talking about positions 6 to 9 right? It is a bit weird, but basically it's because IBO is neck-to-neck with those other three shows. A very slight difference (I think it's due to the anti-spam heuristic eliminating subtly different votes) was enough to flip the tables.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aezreal



Joined: 05 Apr 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
You're talking about positions 6 to 9 right? It is a bit weird, but basically it's because IBO is neck-to-neck with those other three shows. A very slight difference (I think it's due to the anti-spam heuristic eliminating subtly different votes) was enough to flip the tables.


And others, like #3 and #4, or #19-21, where shows swapped places even though the episodes had already aired in the last week displayed. So if I'm getting it right, the algorithm was reapplied to the data when it was moved from the "Mar 25 - Apr 1" column to the "Final Ep." one? That's all that puzzles me, it's the fact that swapping ocurred from one to the other. I thought they were the same data and scores (for these shows that finished airing before Apr 1).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malvarez1



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 975
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Has One Piece replaced Shippuden for bottom tier? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3349
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Has One Piece replaced Shippuden for bottom tier? Shocked

One Piece's pacing is just horrible now. They've gotten too close to the source material, and Oda is averaging about 3 chapters per 4 weeks. Toei doesn't want to stop and let the manga gain some distance, so we get these drawn out episodes every week. I think it's gotten on the nerves of a lot of people by now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
crx07



Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
What happened on the ratings on Rakugo? The earlier best and worst articles rate Rakugo very badly (ep 5 to 12) and now it is near the top. Is it because of technical problems on gathering data on the earlier articles (ep5 - 12) and they are able to adjust it now? If they showed these ratings before, then there will be no complaints on Rakugo's "bad" rating found on the earlier releases. Maybe ANN removed the spammers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8663
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
What happened on the ratings on Rakugo? The earlier best and worst articles rate Rakugo very badly (ep 5 to 12) and now it is near the top. Is it because of technical problems on gathering data on the earlier articles (ep5 - 12) and they are able to adjust it now? If they showed these ratings before, then there will be no complaints on Rakugo's "bad" rating found on the earlier releases. Maybe ANN removed the spammers.


See the March 30th version of this feature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp



Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 372
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Gundam IBO, Dimension W and Erased placed so high tells me how much I disagree with the majority (and how weak the season was, I guess).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crx07



Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
The fact that Gundam IBO, Dimension W and Erased placed so high tells me how much I disagree with the majority (and how weak the season was, I guess).

Dimension W is rated relatively low and I don't think Erased and Gundam are placed so high, unless you want to put them below One Piece and Naruto.
This will be another topic but it's interesting. I think Funimation will be hurt badly if Dimension W will not sell well either in Japan or US. They are part of the production committee of that anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuelGundam2099



Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 533
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp it isn't just you, the fact IBO made it to the top 5 makes me concerned for future mecha titles including Gundam. It basically says "nobody wants good visuals and animation in their anime, just make it slice of life talking because who watches a robot anime for robots?" If it was considered middle of the road (preferably lower) I likely wouldn't mind that much; the series itself wouldn't bother me as much if it was only half the length. There is a silver lining though, Please Talk! Galko-chan is nowhere on here!

On a side note, why is Erased so high yet nobody ever talks about it? Is it literally so perfect words don't do it justice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2077
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
On a side note, why is Erased so high yet nobody ever talks about it? Is it literally so perfect words don't do it justice?


People talked about it a lot until it ended. Then there was kind of nothing more to talk about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Aezreal



Joined: 05 Apr 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
the fact IBO made it to the top 5 makes me concerned for future mecha titles including Gundam. It basically says "nobody wants good visuals and animation in their anime, just make it slice of life talking because who watches a robot anime for robots?"


I can understand that having a Gundam show become popular for reasons that are not central to Gundam or mecha as a whole, is a problematic precedent to set up if you want the return of those missing features in next installments. I never saw the Gundam label as being more than a curiosity, a secondary observation. As for that "slice of life talking", I have to wonder what definition you have of "slice of life", but I'm inclined to disagree that's the case. I think there were a good deal of other things that people enjoyed about the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group