• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Twisted Wishes Gone Wrong

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
When I saw the question for the new poll I thought, this is going to be easy because I love Bakemonogatari. But then I saw that things were broken down into individual arcs. All the Tsubasa arcs are interesting to me, but I voted for Hitagi Crab because, even though it is a very short arc, it contains powerful staff and sets the tone for the amazing Bakemonogatari.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Probably just me, but the description for the rainy devil could have been clearer. The paw does two things; it grants the overt wish of the bearer as well as the intentions which provoked the wish in the first place.

In Suruga's case, she wished to be the fastest runner. As it turned out, the training she did started to have an effect as she continued to run even after the initial competition whilst the paw correctly identified that she had faster competitors she hated and needed putting out of commission.

The second case was to be good friends with Senjougahara again. To do that she needed to get close to Araragi and later kill him out of jealousy. That's why Senjougahara's eventual intervention nullified the paw's power since killing either of the two parties would have made it impossible to grant both the overt wish and the unspoken one borne out of wicked intentions.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Every Monogatari Arc has its moments of sheer awesomeness, which makes things difficult.
In my case, my favorite season is Owarimonogatari, and my fav arc, without any doubt, is Sodachi Lost. Actually I'd say all the Sodachi focused episodes were amazing, not exactly for her, but because of Ougi, who is the best damn thing Monogatari has given IMO. She steals the show everytime she appears, and during Sodachi Lost, if I recall correctly, her "fights" with Hanekawa were absolutely amazing, making me love Ougi and Tsubasa even more.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Poor Kerry. How was he supposed to know that the Germans would ruin things for magi too in WWII?

Well, right before WWII. Stupid Einzberns.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I was expecting the first, important wish from Heaven's Lost Property would make the List, the one where Tomoki wished to be king of the world so Ikaros thought about the wish, the world and Tomoki and decided, quite accurately, he'd only be king if the world was just Ikaros and her master.

So, yeah, depopulated world is the same as a conquered one to her. I wonder why Shenron never made wishes work like that; "Emperor Pilaf wants to rule the world. He's already an emperor so I'll just make the world the size of his castle. There, wish granted!"

The funny part is that while those cards of hers do have the power to alter reality, she still thought it was easier to just get rid of everyone rather than change their perception of reality where Tomoki becomes their king. Wait, ok, yeah, literal genie. King of the world. It's still there but now there's no pesky people in the way of his kingdom so wish granted.

Later on, Tomoki both got better at wishing and a better genie in Nymph. Or maybe she just thought more like him.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
The choices in the poll were quite hard to choose from because I really like the majority of the Monogatari Series but between my three favourite arc (which are coincidently are one after the other in release order) Shinobu Time, Hitagi End and Suruga Devil, I'd say my very favourite is Hitagi End/Koimonogatari as I really like the dialogue between Senjougahara and Kaiki as they felt like even stronger characters then usual in the arc and the deadpan humor was pretty good as well
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I went with Tsubasa Cat - it combines Hanekawa's story with a powerful episode involving Hitagi and Koyomi.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Another one I'd like to bring up is Alluka in Hunter X Hunter, though in typical fashion of the series, it has its own unique spin on it: Alluka's power is that she (or he, it's ambiguous, but her brother Killua calls Alluka a girl, so I will) can grant one wish to whoever fulfills three requests of her. When the wish is granted, there is no known downside to the wish itself. The consequences, however, apply to the next person to make a wish: The severity of Alluka's requests are directly proportional to the difficulty or scale of the previous wish. If this next person turns Alluka down four times, that person is immediately killed, as well as a number of other people the wisher is closest to, again directly proportional to the difficulty or scale of the previous wish. (It's unclear if Alluka's requests and deaths are voluntary.)

For instance, one character wishes for the latest top-of-the-line PC, which Alluka considers minimally difficult, so the subsequent requests are quite light, like patting Alluka on the head. Another character wishes for a large sum of money, so Alluka requests the wisher afterward for her internal organs, up to her spine and brain--which she turns down, and as a consequence, Alluka brings death upon her and 66 other people simultaneously. In addition, when a wisher is killed due to denying Alluka requests, the scale of her requests is reset back to the minimum.

This is easily the most complicated ability of any character in the series, and there is an entire story arc in Hunter X Hunter involving keeping Alluka safe while figuring out the finer details of this power, namely how it functions under specific circumstances.

Animegomaniac wrote:
So, yeah, depopulated world is the same as a conquered one to her. I wonder why Shenron never made wishes work like that; "Emperor Pilaf wants to rule the world. He's already an emperor so I'll just make the world the size of his castle. There, wish granted!"

Not every wish-granting character in fiction needs to be the beware-the-consequences kind, since that in itself can become rather cliché. Sometimes, a story can work whose wish-granting entity just does exactly what the wisher wants without trying to twist anything.

Heck, in Resurrection F, Shenron even warns a wisher about the risks involved and if he's absolutely sure he wants to make his wish. That is, recent portrayals of him put him as the absolute opposite of a mischievous or literal genie: He makes an effort to try NOT to grant wishes with bad consequences.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Madoka Magica wasn't in the list with Kyubey's "condition" and the logical conclusion for being a Puella Magi(cis). Also, maybe a little new, but Big Order has the "unintended consequences" wish granting in spades. Now for the Baka-Monogatari arc, I just love Mayoi's personality and Arararagi's (I bit my toung) interaction is funny if not a little pervy. Still looking for the source of the Google Image of Mayoi happily captioned as saying "I bit your tounge" supposedly to Araragari after a kiss.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
And then there was the Ranma 1/2 episode where Kuno got his hands on a legendary wishing-sword, and girl-Ranma had to go on a date to try and get it away from him, but discovered only Kuno could use it--
Trying to persuade Kuno into using his last wish for the obvious, without his finding out, didn't quite ultimately go as planned...
consignia

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's got to be Hitagi End for best Monogatari. Because Kaiki is best girl.

As whole I think we could have just had Bakemonogatari. I think that's the strongest unit of the Monogatari and almost stands alone. Everything just feels a bit baggy afterwards. But Koimonogatari is a brilliant alternative to the rest of the story, and also ends things rather nicely.
southplumb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Is #5 really from Utawarerumono (the TV series?)? I haven't seen it and this sounds pretty horrific, so I looked it up, but the style looks different and this plot isn't mentioned in the encyclopedia, etc.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
southplumb wrote:
Is #5 really from Utawarerumono (the TV series?)?

Yes.
I do not remember which episode, but it definitely is from that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that episode of xxxHolic made the list. That franchise can be downright disturbing at times.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Making me choose my favorite Monogatari arc is just outright mean, I'm a huge fan of the franchise but ultimately the two that I really can't decide between are Kaikimonogatari (Hitagi End) and Hanamonogatari (Suruga Devil) which are both some of my favorite arcs in any anime.

I'm also a very big fan of Sodachi Lost and Nadeko Medusa, which are absolutely fantastic for almost completely different reasons, even though I often feel in the minority about Nadeko Medusa since a lot of people really hate Nadeko, and although I will admit Snake is my least favorite story in the franchise I think she is a fascinating character in Medusa who I relate to more than I'd like to admit.

Also since we're here I wanna bring up Katangatari? It's not a part of the main series but damn is it just as good, I'd even argue it's better in some aspects thanks to it's much more limited scope.

God I like this franchise way too much...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2