• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Experience Unveils Yomi wo Saku Hana RPG for Xbox One

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
It must be a hard pill to swallow when it comes to watching an Xbox One release in Japan.
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Guess it will also be available on PS4 a bit after the release.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Idk...it says exclusive rather than console exclusive...most companies specify now days.

I also wanted to note that Stranger of Sword City is also coming out in the US on Steam in June.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I also wanted to note that Stranger of Sword City is also coming out in the US on Steam in June.

That only took 2 years >.< so in practice it was still an xbox exclusive for a fair chunk of time.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Idk...it says exclusive rather than console exclusive...most companies specify now days.
Making an XBOX game for the japanese market is quite similar to shoot yourself on the foot.
Steam isn't quite popular in Japan, so the next alternative is PS4.

Pretty much every Japanese XB1-exclusive got re-released for the PS4 so far.

(I do say "PS4", but I'm also hearing "PSVITA" at the same time Razz )
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
They should really change that "exclusive" to "Xbox one exclusive for a limited time only" shortly after it comes out on PS4. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
Seems ya guys aren't familiar with Experience, a small studio that Xbox supported.
Experience has always published for the Xbox platform since many years ago.

The only reason their XB1 game Stranger of Sword City comes to PS Vita and Steam is due to NISA porting it.
Unless somebody again ports this, Yomi wo Saku Hana will be published by Experience only for the Xbox platform.

As mentioned, Experience is a small studio. They don't need a lot of sales even in Japan to make money. If even just one-half of 1% of the approx. 20 million XB1 consoles sold so far buys Yomi wo Saku Hana, the game would had already paid for itself.

Nevertheless, there's a good chance this would go on the PC too, even if not ported. But it won't be on Steam - it'd be on the Win10 PC store. Microsoft has been marrying the Xbox and Win10 platform and marketplace, and any game it can encourage releasing on both platforms going forward.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

As mentioned, Experience is a small studio. They don't need a lot of sales even in Japan to make money. If even just one-half of 1% of the approx. 20 million XB1 consoles sold so far buys Yomi wo Saku Hana, the game would had already paid for itself.
Back in September, it was announced that they sold 54 813 XB1 units in Japan. Now, it should be between 55 000 and 60 000.
I doubt that even 25% of console owner in Japan will buy it. With imports, maybe it will reach it, but that's highly unlikely.
Maybe the game will sell consoles, but that wouldn't be a high number.

It's situation looks pretty grim.

I'm wondering; I can't find any source saying it's NISA who made a port.
(Are you sure it's NISA and not NIS? )
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Seems ya guys aren't familiar with Experience, a small studio that Xbox supported.

The only reason their XB1 game Stranger of Sword City comes to PS Vita and Steam is due to NISA porting it.
Unless somebody again ports this, Yomi wo Saku Hana will be published by Experience only for the Xbox platform.

Nevertheless, there's a good chance this would go on the PC too, even if not ported. But it won't be on Steam - it'd be on the Win10 PC store. Microsoft has been marrying the Xbox and Win10 platform and marketplace, and any game it can encourage releasing on both platforms going forward.

Some of that is not right.

Stranger of Sword City came out for both 360 and PC in 2014. They then ported it to Vita the following year. We got the XBO port this year with Experience Inc. self publishing it, cause NISA ≠ Xbox.

The Vita and PC versions we get are enhanced from their original release, but they pretty much match what the XBO version is.

Though you are right about Experience Inc. liking Microsoft's platforms. They've even said that they have 5 planned XBO games for a Western release over the next few years. I'm happy to see this small team releasing more niche Japanese games for us Xbox users.

I'm sure these newer games will get ported to the Vita sometime down the line. I'm totally expecting to see a Vita game or two get port to the XBO.

*edit
typo fixes.

Last edited by darkdeath174 on Tue May 03, 2016 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
Hope this comes to the West on Xbox.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Some of that is not right.

Stranger of Sword City came out for both 360 and PC in 2014. They then ported it to Vita the following year. We got the XBO port this year with Experience Inc. self publishing it, cause NISA ≠ Xbox.

The Vita and PC versions we get are enhanced from their original release, but they pretty much match what the XBO version is.

Though you are right about Experience Inc. liking Microsoft's platforms. They've even said that they have 5 planned XBO games for a Western release over the next few years. I'm happy to see this small team releasing more niche Japanese games for us Xbox users.

I'm sure these newer games will get ported to the Vita sometime down the line. I'm totally expecting to see a Vita game or two get port to the XBO.

*edit
typo fixes.

Lol. this will not happen, if a vita game ever gets ported to a console it will be the ps4, but not the xbox one.

I have both consoles and the vita, but I wasn't interested in a digital only port of sword, so I got the ps vita physical.

Also just because they released some games on the xbox doesn't mean all of them get released their, as far as I know demon gaze was only released on the vita.

I also don't get the rationale for the xbox release, unless they have some deal with MS, I would never waste resources on developing a jrpgs exclusively for it. Who cares if they only need a small amount of sales to survive, a game company is there to make profit, so just because they could make a game on the xbox it would still make more sense to put it on the ps4 or 3ds instead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
darkdeath174 wrote:

Lol. this will not happen, if a vita game ever gets ported to a console it will be the ps4, but not the xbox one.

Rarely but it happens. Final Fantasy Type-0 was released for the PSP then later ported to XB1 and PS4. Though in the first place there's usually not too much incentive in moving a game meant for the little screen to have its deficiencies accentuated on the big screen.

CrownKlown wrote:

I also don't get the rationale for the xbox release, unless they have some deal with MS, I would never waste resources on developing a jrpgs exclusively for it. Who cares if they only need a small amount of sales to survive, a game company is there to make profit, so just because they could make a game on the xbox it would still make more sense to put it on the ps4 or 3ds instead.

It's just the developer's decision. Just like those developers who choose to publish just for PS or Nintendo platforms.

My gut feeling is - they're a small JRPG publisher, and they're thinking: they can either be just another of zillions of small JRPG publishers on PS or Nintendo, or they can be one of the few small JRPG publishers on Xbox. So it's like a matter of being a small RPG fish in a big pond full of RPG fish, or a small RPG fish in a smaller pond not as full with RPG fish - it's easier to stand out in the latter than in the former. Be a nobody in one; be somebody in another - since they have limited resources, they need to prioritize the latter. (The fact that we're even noticing about them when we don't notice most small RPGs in Japan is already testament to this.)

Even in Japan, these kinds of niche RPG games only sell in the several thousands. So they only need to sell that many in the West too.

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue May 03, 2016 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's a small studio. If you are targeting the Japanese market releasing on the XBox One does not make sense. For instance in the 2nd week of April there were 20,589 PS4's sold in Japan. Do you know how many XBox One's were sold?? 101! Yep that's right .. ONE HUNDRED AND ONE!!! That is like a rounding error of the PS4 sales!!!

Sony is fairly friendly to these indie game producers so there really has to be a reason (apart from stupidity) why a Japanese company would release a game exclusive on the XBOne

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Tue May 03, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's a small studio. If you are targeting the Japanese market releasing on the XBox One does not make sense.

They're not just targeting Japan - atypical of small J-developers, Experience has had abroad outlook and actually wants to sell these in the West, so they think globally for the reasons I postulated above.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They're not just targeting Japan - atypical of small J-developers, Experience has had abroad outlook and actually wants to sell these in the West, so they think globally for the reasons I postulated above.

Nope .. article states a Japan release in 2017. It's hard to target the west with a Japanese language release!!!

Seriously though you would have something wrong in your head to intentionally reduce your target market by 500 times for no good reason. I suspect that the very few XBox One sales in Japan are to the Japanese "western" otakus who are into FPS's and are unlikely to want a JRPG anyway!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2