• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Date A Live II BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
So, by "restrained," it's not as liberal as season one's script? So Kurumi isn't going to break out into a gun control rant out of nowhere Razz?

Diva is just Miku's codename. And I've always believed she had one of the most well-developed figures of all the Spirits, but that's just me Wink.

I'm happy to hear that the season 2 dub voices are better on average compared to season one. I'm interested to hear how the Twins sound in English and Jad Saxton as Miku Smile.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It seems Theron and I are in agreement on quite a bit about this season. I would second the suggestion of watching the first season if it has been a while since you last saw it. I ended up going back after I watched the first episode of season two and realized I forgot quite a bit. I'm also in agreement that Kurumi ended up being a big highlight this season, and that the OVA episode ended up being my favorite out of the whole season.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Leaves a lot unanswered, yes, spoiler[but some those questions only get answered in the most recent LN's.This season is only a small prelude to what a third season (if there ever is one) will show us.]
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the only thing that disappointed me was the open ending. Which, I knew would be the case, but it still loses marks for it. Really hope we get a season 3 soon, but I have no idea how many LNs the 2 anime seasons have covered.

Still, the bigger disappointment would've been not enough Kurumi...but she appears later on in the season, so I was happy to see that. Thought they had forgotten about my favourite character.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
I already own season one and I've seen season 2 and I know I already like it; What's stopping me from buying it is the episode count. I don't even have a problem with the lack of an ending since it's a LN adaptation and I never expect endings when it comes to those.

10 episodes plus a DVD/BD only OVA. Even the ten episode second season of Is this a Zombie? offered up two OVAs to fill out time. Here, somebody's saving money somewhere but it wouldn't be me. I can see myself getting it at some point even if I'm not that excited about it. It's not the ne characters, I have problems with the show's structure.

Really, it's such a basic series Every book is about a spirit and every adapted arc is the same so what you expect is what you get. I can give the ten episodes of Is this a Zombie? higher regard because while the first season has two clear stories, the second season seems to have two or more squeezed together... or one stretched out, it's hard to tell. Date a Live 2 has such a clear demarcation that I end up looking at the episode numbers like it was a counter on a DVD and I know at a certain episodes, the current story will wrap up and the whole thing will just start over completely.

It's not as bad as the The World God Only knows manga but that series at least has stronger leads.
Eztli_

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
PSA: This release of Date A Live II does not contain the Japanese Director's Cut of Date A Live II as shown in the Japanese home release, which contains around 40 minutes of additional scenes and content across the 10 episodes. Albeit, the visual upgrades of the Japanese home release version is present in the Funimation's version (such as fixing animation errors from the TV broadcast version).

In short; Date A Live II D.C. version is vastily superior than the "TV" version, and it is the definitive version of Date A Live II.

I'm very disappointed, because I wanted to watch and enjoy the English dub of season 2, but I will not watch the inferior version over the D.C. version.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
@Eztli_ Huh, they'd still do that in this age and day, even knowing how fans will react? Really?...

It doesn't affect me as I have the Japanese release, and have collected the various rips out there. Still, that's some underhanded blow to fans that might have had their hopes set on this release.

I assume Date A Live was intended as two-cour release from the beginning? I would assume so, because when I line up the two boxes of the Japanese release(I&II), it becomes pretty evident;

Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Eztli_ wrote:
PSA: This release of Date A Live II does not contain the Japanese Director's Cut of Date A Live II as shown in the Japanese home release, which contains around 40 minutes of additional scenes and content across the 10 episodes. Albeit, the visual upgrades of the Japanese home release version is present in the Funimation's version (such as fixing animation errors from the TV broadcast version).

In short; Date A Live II D.C. version is vastily superior than the "TV" version, and it is the definitive version of Date A Live II.

I'm very disappointed, because I wanted to watch and enjoy the English dub of season 2, but I will not watch the inferior version over the D.C. version.

Liscensing is weird like that, it might not even be Funi's fault this isn't the Directors cut, they may have tried to get it and been told no. They never advertised that it was the DC or even mentioned a DC so I don't think it's fair to blame them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Eztli_ wrote:

Liscensing is weird like that, it might not even be Funi's fault this isn't the Directors cut, they may have tried to get it and been told no. They never advertised that it was the DC or even mentioned a DC so I don't think it's fair to blame them.

I suspect that is the case. I know they try to get everything the can, for example High School DxD New had extended episodes, but sometimes it isn't allowed or comes with restrictions. For example, there was an OVA episode in t Is This a Zombie that was on the DVD, but not on the blu-ray, even though it was part of a combo-pack. I would agree with you that this is a bit different from things like the initial releases of Senran Kargura or Sankarea since those were advertised as having material that didn't make it onto the disc. This forum is the first time I've even heard of some sort of extended version for Date a Live.

There was also an Answerman question a while back about why things like uncensored or director's cuts don't get released over here, and one of the reasons was that sometimes the Japanese companies forget to mention, or aren't yet aware of, a version other than the TV version. So yeah, it might not be entirely fair to blame Funimation because there are several possibilities.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
A statement from FUNimation:

Sophie McNutt wrote:
We do not have the Date A Live II director’s cut, which actually adds runtime to the release. This is different from how most Japanese home video (and our releases) work. In most (not all) cases, the runtime is mostly the same, but just certain parts are redrawn.

Essentially there are three versions:

Broadcast version <— this is what we simulcast and what was on Japanese TV
Uncut version <— this is our release. We know that it has redrawn scenes that weren’t in the broadcast version. It features new, uncut footage that differs from the original simulcast version. It is not based on the broadcast materials.
Director’s Cut <—this was Japan’s special longer version for their home video
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I want to add something, after reading the FUNImation thread Shiroi Hane linked to, and doing a bit research.

First, going back a bit to season one. The Japanese home video release was in 2013, and that had director's cut only for the first few episodes. I assume that corresponds to the FUNI release from 2014(ie those episodes included the DC in that version as well)? Ok, however...
In 2015, Date A Live(first season) box-set was released that included DC for all 12 episodes (as well as including the unaired OVA). Because FUNI's release is from a year earlier, we can be pretty sure it's lacking those versions of episodes 4-12.

With Date a Live II from 2015, things got a bit different. The Japanese release had all the DC versions from the get-go (If you doubt check the volume descriptions on cdjapan).
For FUNI unfortunately, per Shiroi Hane's post, things didn't change much it seems. All they really got was what basically amounted to a cleaned-up broadcast version...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1