Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Earl and Fairy Sub.DVD




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
So this is yet another anime set in England that isn't dubbed. It's really strange that they didn't bother to dub this either, much like with Emma. British people speaking Japanese comes more across as more than a little awkward to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zin5ki
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 6679
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
So this is yet another anime set in England that isn't dubbed. It's really strange that they didn't bother to dub this either, much like with Emma.

Do be careful what one wishes for. Without due care, we would be left to countenance another Hellsing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4780
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Didn't even know this series got licensed, so totally buying this because I loved it when I saw it fansubbed years ago. Sad there's not dub, but shojo stuff rarely gets it anyway.

Now here's to hoping for Good Witch of the West.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1787
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Now here's to hoping for Good Witch of the West.


That is exactly what I said to my sister when this got licensed. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Do be careful what one wishes for. Without due care, we would be left to countenance another Hellsing.


Meaning what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rinmackie



Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 1040
Location: in a van! down by the river!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Do be careful what one wishes for. Without due care, we would be left to countenance another Hellsing.


Meaning what?


He doesn't like the Hellsing dub. I know, because he got real mad at me years ago for defending it. So unless you want an argument, don't bother trying to discuss it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3273
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Think I'll be importing this release. I enjoyed the manga, which I read near the end of last year, and reading that the anime goes beyond the story the manga gives, along with an ending that feels a little more closed than the manga's, those are 2 massive plus points in my book.

I'll buy this the next time I order some stuff through Rightstuf. Usually wait until I get a decent amount of things I want when importing, just to make the most of the shipping prices. This'll be added to my list...which consists of the Waiting in the Summer BD and the final season of Wagnaria. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
He doesn't like the Hellsing dub. I know, because he got real mad at me years ago for defending it. So unless you want an argument, don't bother trying to discuss it.


I could really care less what other people think of dubs, but I really don't see what's wrong here. Hellsing Ultimate had a solid dub, so how was the TV series any worse?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3566
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
So this is yet another anime set in England that isn't dubbed. It's really strange that they didn't bother to dub this either, much like with Emma. British people speaking Japanese comes more across as more than a little awkward to me.
The problem with titles like this and Emma, is that while there are a few, most US actors do terrible accents. It worked out with Hellsing as Taliesin Jaffe insisted on getting VAs from the UK, but would another director even care enough for that, and even if they did the producers would have to agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1787
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Sadly a dub's a bit of a moot point anyway, since this was released by Discotek, whose only previous dub releases are re-releases of previously dubbed shows. A good British dub would have been amazing, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The problem with titles like this and Emma, is that while there are a few, most US actors do terrible accents. It worked out with Hellsing as Taliesin Jaffe insisted on getting VAs from the UK, but would another director even care enough for that, and even if they did the producers would have to agree.


Well first of all, I disagree with you. There are plenty of U.S. actors who can do great accents. Second, I was thinking of UK actors in my original post, in much the same way with Hellsing. I wish someone had pushed for these things. I'm not trying to sound anti-Japanese or anything, but it just kills the impact without a dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4780
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Think I'll be importing this release. I enjoyed the manga, which I read near the end of last year, and reading that the anime goes beyond the story the manga gives, along with an ending that feels a little more closed than the manga's, those are 2 massive plus points in my book.


If you want even more after the anime there was a fan project a few years back on getting the light novels translated. I forget who did it, and they only got to I think the 7th book, (out of I think 12 or 13) but it goes a bit further than the anime.

Sometimes I just curse my inability to read Japanese, because the characters and the mythos they used was really fun. I'd buy them in a heart beat if they ever got here, but female targeted light novels don't seem to do so well here.

I cry in the corner with my two volumes of the Good Witch of the West and twelve kingdoms series that were abandoned by tokyopop, and go back to reading Western fantasy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
DRosencraft



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't like the shoujo genre much - the guys all too often come off like self-important ***holes who treat the heroine like crap, with the women falling all over them anyway - but but this series was really good. A shame the ending isn't... more... but a fairly solid series nonetheless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3273
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
If you want even more after the anime there was a fan project a few years back on getting the light novels translated. I forget who did it, and they only got to I think the 7th book, (out of I think 12 or 13) but it goes a bit further than the anime.

Ah, yes. Well, I don't read digitally for entertainment. Nothing about it being fan translations or it being "illegal", it's just my preference. Stare at screens enough as it is, reading is one of the few things I can do without a screen. So, I'm a print only guy.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sometimes I just curse my inability to read Japanese, because the characters and the mythos they used was really fun. I'd buy them in a heart beat if they ever got here, but female targeted light novels don't seem to do so well here.

Same. I'd probably end up buying a lot more manga if I could read Japanese. My first thing to read would be The World God Only Knows. I own the manga...Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group