• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - You're In The Game Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Persona fan there is nothing about Tokyo Mirage Sessions that interest me.
metsallica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks like there's an issue with the RSS; the media file may be missing. Downcast is returning an error when I try to download it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Resident Evil is an interesting case. It seems like the standing position among fans is that RE needs to get back to its survival horror roots and the RE7 trailer/demo certainly seems like a major concession to that at first glance. Here's the thing though: As a story, RE has never actually been scary. The earlier games were at most, extremely campy horror and RE4 borders on parody. That's in no way a bad thing. That's what I like about RE. My point is though that RE has never been Silent Hill or Outlast or P.T. and I don't know that I want it to be. I'd love a RE that gets back to the mechanics of the original games (albeit maybe with a few tweaks). But I'm not actually sure I want a "scary" RE.
------------
I'm actually sorta optimistic about Andromeda if only because I feel like it may shift the tone back towards Mass Effect 1. The Mass Effect sequels got increasingly grim and militaristic as we got deeper and deeper into the war with the reapers and it was just a huge drag. And honestly, if it can just be Mass Effect's "Inquisition" that wouldn't be the end of the world. Dragon Age Inquisition was actually pretty good in a ton of ways. It has great characters, jaw dropping area design and really solid core battle mechanics. That game does not get anywhere near the credit it deserves. That's not to say the criticisms of it are invalid, mind you. Ultimately, that game is crippled by its complete lack of meaningful mission structure. It's 95% open world filler content. I'd like to think Andromeda learns from that and gives us more core missions or at least builds more meaningful sidequests. But yeah, that is a major concern.
------------
Kojima hasn't and won't ever really make a masterpiece in my opinion. Kojima is just all creative id but utterly lacks the restraint to reign in some of his worst instincts. Still, I'd definitely like to play whatever absurd project he comes up with next. Especially now that he isn't shackled to the gigantic mess that is the MGS continuity.
------------
I guess my question is, if Breath of the Wilds isn't going to be a Ubisoft style icon checking simulator...what is it? Like, what do you *do* with that open world? Is it ultimately just window dressing? Is this a Shadow of the Colossus sort of thing where the open world is essentially a mood-setter? If that's gonna work though, you need an eventual payoff. And if not, what's the point? This might be a radical departure for Zelda but open, non-linear worlds, scavenging and crafting, breakable weapons, survival mechanics...none of these things are remotely inspiring. This is all stuff other games have been doing for years. I need some indication that Nintendo has some sort of plan to do something interesting with all this. I've yet to see that.
------------
Detroit: Become Human will probably be terrible. I mean in all likelihood. There's never been any indication that David Cage is capable of making a good game. I skipped Beyond though so I'm ready to allow myself a little sliver of unjustifiable optimism.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Resident Evil is an interesting case. It seems like the standing position among fans is that RE needs to get back to its survival horror roots and the RE7 trailer/demo certainly seems like a major concession to that at first glance. Here's the thing though: As a story, RE has never actually been scary. The earlier games were at most, extremely campy horror and RE4 borders on parody. That's in no way a bad thing. That's what I like about RE. My point is though that RE has never been Silent Hill or Outlast or P.T. and I don't know that I want it to be. I'd love a RE that gets back to the mechanics of the original games (albeit maybe with a few tweaks). But I'm not actually sure I want a "scary" RE.
Don't remember exactly what I said in the podcast, but that's basically how I replied to a tumblr ask about it last week. Totally agree! With how self-aware game development has become, I imagine it's basically impossible to get a truly campy game (outside of Contradiction) these days, but after RE6, I'd really prefer if they stuck to the series's strengths of absurd plots, goofy puzzles, and over-the-top villains. If the choice is between the RE7 demo's "passable PT knock-off" and RE6's "bad action movie," I'll take the former, but I doubt it'll feel all that Resident Evil-y to me.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

------------
Detroit: Become Human will probably be terrible. I mean in all likelihood. There's never been any indication that David Cage is capable of making a good game. I skipped Beyond though so I'm ready to allow myself a little sliver of unjustifiable optimism.

I may have to double check this, but I've heard multiple times Cage isn't working on Detroit to the same extent as Heavy Rain and Beyond.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
Don't remember exactly what I said in the podcast, but that's basically how I replied to a tumblr ask about it last week. Totally agree! With how self-aware game development has become, I imagine it's basically impossible to get a truly campy game (outside of Contradiction) these days, but after RE6, I'd really prefer if they stuck to the series's strengths of absurd plots, goofy puzzles, and over-the-top villains. If the choice is between the RE7 demo's "passable PT knock-off" and RE6's "bad action movie," I'll take the former, but I doubt it'll feel all that Resident Evil-y to me.

Yeah, this is my feeling as well. As much as I'd love for them to return to the glorious excesses of the past, I don't really think that's gonna happen. Hence, a P.T. knockoff may well be the realistic best case scenario at this point. For that reason I'm not exactly against it. I don't know if I'd even play it since that's not really my thing but I'm glad at least if Resident Evil can bring some people some joy. I do hope they're at least able to cobble together a pretty good game though if not a very "Resident Evil-y" one. I haven't played the demo myself but the reaction seems to be fairly indifferent save a few fans who (was it you who mentioned this in the podcast?) seem super desperate to believe there's something more to the demo then there maybe is.
ICO44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
After listening to u guys, I feel like u guys don't enjoy playing games at all. It seams u guys just really negative about everything.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I need to see more of the new Resident Evil,it looks fine from the looks of it.I do find it amusing how they keep saying it's going to be scary again,but the series was never scary to me. The atmosphere was never really creepy and your given so much ammo and firepower to deal with the enemies (the remake of the first,I though fixed those issues). I don't hope for them to go back to the old shitty tank controls;If they ever do, then have the controls be similar to Eternal Darkness.

New Zelda looks fine. Not going crazy for it since I know what to expect at this point and Skyward Sword was so boring I couldn't even finish it. The one game that keeps impressing me is Nioh.It wears it's inspiration on it's sleeve,but it's doing enough with the setting and gameplay to be it's own thing.

New Mass Effect looks whatever.Am not burned over the ending,the series is kinda old to me at this point.

Death Stranding was the funniest thing I watched this week. Kojima his head up his ass so far at this point. Am sure it will be fine gameplay-wise,but that trailer was just more of the same abstract bullshit Kojima loves.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
After listening to u guys, I feel like u guys don't enjoy playing games at all. It seams u guys just really negative about everything.

Being critical of something or taking a critical stance on something doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. Hell, it might even mean you love something to the point of absorbing everything there is to the thing to the point of saturation. If anyone in the podcast didn't enjoy games, they wouldn't waste time playing them--but all four participants spend a lot of time playing games, and use their experience as a launchpad for discussion. Zerochan has Games.moe, Todd Ciolek handles The X Button. Dave discusses games on the side. So on, so on, so on.

Video games wouldn't be where they are today as a medium, art form, or industry if all anyone ever said about them was "I like thing!".

Anyway... I totally agree with Todd Ciolek on David Cage. The sight of the guy's overwritten games turns my stomach. He's not offensively bad, but him and his games are so presumptuous. He's like someone's dad trying to become the next Stephen King but not having enough awareness of literature to know he's, at best, a poor-man's Dean Koontz (who's already a poor-man's Stephen King). I can't believe his games keep getting the attention they do.

I don't recall who it was who made the point about how games that try to be cinematic always coming up short when compared to film, but I agree with them too. Uncharted feels like a cheap Sci-Fi movie. Last of Us feels emotionally exploitative. Games can do a lot of things, but they'll never get anywhere as a medium if they just try to mindlessly ape the styles and imagery of other mediums--especially if hacks like David Cage are at the wheel. At least get someone with a decent understanding of film theory if you want to make an interactive game.

It'd be really nice if we had more renowned writers in games, because outside of Kojima (who managed everything in his games), we only have... well, Tim Schafer, I guess--but his brand of comedy doesn't work for everyone. There was Al Lowe, but he hasn't worked in the industry in ages, and it's not likely he'll ever work in the industry again. Most of the big names in game development are producers, not writers. Nobody ever went to Molyneux over the lore of Fable, or Bleszinski for the lore of Gears of War. Sure, you don't need a story for a game to be good, but if games are going to beat their chest over cinematic stories, it'd be nice if someone who could write a damn were involved in those projects.
ICO44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
ICO44 wrote:

Being critical of something or taking a critical stance on something doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. Hell, it might even mean you love something to the point of absorbing everything there is to the thing to the point of saturation. If anyone in the podcast didn't enjoy games, they wouldn't waste time playing them--but all four participants spend a lot of time playing games, and use their experience as a launchpad for discussion. Zerochan has Games.moe, Todd Ciolek handles The X Button. Dave discusses games on the side. So on, so on, so on.

Video games wouldn't be where they are today as a medium, art form, or industry if all anyone ever said about them was "I like thing!".

Anyway... I totally agree with Todd Ciolek on David Cage. The sight of the guy's overwritten games turns my stomach. He's not offensively bad, but him and his games are so presumptuous. He's like someone's dad trying to become the next Stephen King but not having enough awareness of literature to know he's, at best, a poor-man's Dean Koontz (who's already a poor-man's Stephen King). I can't believe his games keep getting the attention they do.

I don't recall who it was who made the point about how games that try to be cinematic always coming up short when compared to film, but I agree with them too. Uncharted feels like a cheap Sci-Fi movie. Last of Us feels emotionally exploitative. Games can do a lot of things, but they'll never get anywhere as a medium if they just try to mindlessly ape the styles and imagery of other mediums--especially if hacks like David Cage are at the wheel. At least get someone with a decent understanding of film theory if you want to make an interactive game.

It'd be really nice if we had more renowned writers in games, because outside of Kojima (who managed everything in his games), we only have... well, Tim Schafer, I guess--but his brand of comedy doesn't work for everyone. There was Al Lowe, but he hasn't worked in the industry in ages, and it's not likely he'll ever work in the industry again. Most of the big names in game development are producers, not writers. Nobody ever went to Molyneux over the lore of Fable, or Bleszinski for the lore of Gears of War. Sure, you don't need a story for a game to be good, but if games are going to beat their chest over cinematic stories, it'd be nice if someone who could write a damn were involved in those projects.

There nothing wrong with being critical, but to me aleast they didn't weren't being critical rather they were bored. Hell, one of the them played Gravity Rush 2 demo but they didn't even talked about there thought of the game. They also say they were excited about Nier Automata, but they didn't even talk about they epic boss trailer. Sorry, to me they just didn't sound like they excited for anything.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Levitz9"]
ICO44 wrote:

Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann are pretty up there based on the success on Uncharted 2/4 and The Last of Us.

I can understand the cynicism towards God of War, but you have to give credit that series in seriously revamping itself and that is why people are excited for this one. It was easily the most awesome beginning to a conference with the orchestra and the reveal of Kratos.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all three of David Cage's games played by Best Friends Play and they're all pretty bad. Heavy Rain might hold some dignity if not for most of the cast having lousy voice acting and one of the most nonsensical killer reveals in fictional history, while Indigo Prophecy feels like it was written by a 10 year old on crack, and Beyond: Two Souls had potential (mainly due to having Ellen Page and William Dafoe) but Cage went off the rails eventually and the disorder of events didn't work and ruined the story flow. The worst is probably Indigo as based on what Woolie of Best Friends Play said Cage flat out ripped off Grant Morrison's comic The Invisibles.

I'm fine with RE 7 being the way it is as long as they keep the Revelations series going as well. 7 can take the series in new directions while the Revelations games can be more like RE 4 (not quite on 4's level, but hey I'll take them over 5 or 6).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
I'm playing the demo for RE7 and flat out hated it. Then again I hate first person games in general, but absolutely nothing about what I played felt like Resident Evil. 7 feels like a huge monkey paw wish gone wrong. I'd rather have the post 4 action games back. At least there's always that 2 remake to look forward to.

I've never been the biggest Zelda fan but the new one looks fun. Ironically enough Skyward Sword was really enjoyable for me and felt more fleshed-out than the other games.

Never really cared for any of those cinematic games. They always felt like the people behind them wanted to make a movie or TV show but couldn't so they had to settle for a game. I'd rather just watch a show if I wanted a story. I really only watched E3 for Nintendo's stuff. All the games I'm interested arent until TGS.

-Stuart Smith
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Never really cared for any of those cinematic games. They always felt like the people behind them wanted to make a movie or TV show but couldn't so they had to settle for a game.

I can sort of see that, but I'd say Until Dawn is the big exception as your choices do impact everyone's relationship with one another and (minus two characters who can only die near the end) anyone can die at many points throughout the game so you can the end the game with everyone alive, dead, or a variety of some alive and some dead. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure book come to life.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree with IGN that Sony´s E3 conference may be the best ever (i watched every E3 live since 2006).
God of War now makes sense, David Cage apparently learned how to write, the short yet sweet RE 7 demo went back to the gory "cannibal" hunting of the REmake and Kojima´s insanity + Days Gone couldn´t be more interesting. Oh yeah, Quake is back. Wolfenstein and Doom fully delivered so here is hoping.
RE VII 100% made the show for me. The live streaming E3 crowd was floored by the announcement, so was the press. The amazing demo made HUGE numbers and most of all had a large amount of callbacks to the 2001 REmake and the lore in general. I like the action shooter-y RE 5 / 6 but it was time to go back to the roots and the producers 100% listened. I have been a fan since RE1 and this is a dream come true, but nope, just look at the most up-voted Youtube comments right now. That site´s audience is a mess but the other sites don´t look better. Well done "fans". Applause from me C (r)apcom, Applause!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1