• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Mushishi Film Receives Distribution Offers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, who'd have thought it'd get more offers than Hounddog? Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean that Otomo has finally made something truly worthwhile since finishing Akira (both the manga and movie) nearly two decades ago? Of course, the only projects that I'm aware of him heavily involved in are Steamboy and Freedom -- the latter has only one of six episodes out, so I can't make a call on it yet -- so if he's made something that I'm unaware of that it "spectacular," then I'd appreciate someone to point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I'm glad Bug Master (so odd to type that) did well, and I wouldn't mind it being brought over to North America.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn: He directed the third segment in Memories and worked on the animation for Spriggan and Metropolis.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hellkorn: He directed the third segment in Memories and worked on the animation for Spriggan and Metropolis.

Forgot about Cannon Fodder. From what I remember having not seen it in a while, it was a fairly good short with a nice message and all, though Magnetic Rose and even Stink Bomb made it look somewhat weak in comparison, from my point of view.

As for Spriggan and Metropolis, I can't say anything about the former as I've yet to see it, though the latter sure as hell was pretty to look at.

But basically, what I was getting at, Otomo hasn't concocted any little experiment that made him truly fantastic with the likes of Akira and Domu. I will admit to favoring him as a comic artist ahead of being an animator, but I would expect something spectacular out of the man considering he's had, as I mentioned earlier, almost two decades to do so.
seichan80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Bugmaster sounds like a bad 'B' movie. Should've kept Mushishi...it's easy enough to say and spell.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
seichan80 wrote:
Bugmaster sounds like a bad 'B' movie. Should've kept Mushishi...it's easy enough to say and spell.

I kind of agree with you, bugmaster sounds like something starring David Arquette....seriously it does. I am glad that this movie is getting some buzz, with the anime being licensed the movie (if it's that good) should make it to this side of the pond.

I am very interested to see how this movie turns out, considering New Line is never going to put out Monster at this rate.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy was obviously a huge disapointment, but overall Otomo's career in cinema has been pretty fufilling in my opinion. Akira was flawed but showed he had alot of talent when it came to directing, and his screenplays have been good for the most part. Still, I also really wish he'd get back into manga. He's easily one of the best manga-ka of his generation (arguably of all time considering what an impact his style had), but I'm sure the film industry is a hell of alot easier than slaving away at manga for years. Still, I hope he'll return to his roots eventually.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Delta: Ironically, there is a b-movie being put on dvd from Anchor Bay called Bug Master.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Delta: Ironically, there is a b-movie being put on dvd from Anchor Bay called Bug Master.

As soon as I posted that I knew that I was going to hear from someone about how there is a b-movie....I should of know that you'd be the one......thanks Very Happy.

Personally I hope this movie has the feel of the original tv series....with magic cigarettes and what not.

[quote="Kagemusha']but I'm sure the film industry is a hell of alot easier than slaving away at manga for years. Still, I hope he'll return to his roots eventually.[/quote]

I figure working live action is easier then working on a manga, it's probably better then working on anime and not getting payed enough for your work.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I am very interested to see how this movie turns out, considering New Line is never going to put out Monster at this rate.

I think that the live-action adaption of Monster will probably get underway when the Monster anime is licensed/finished for North America... whenever that will be.

Kagemusha wrote:
Steamboy was obviously a huge disapointment, but overall Otomo's career in cinema has been pretty fufilling in my opinion. Akira was flawed but showed he had alot of talent when it came to directing, and his screenplays have been good for the most part.

For what it's worth, The Order to Stop Construction was one of the most amusing shorts that I've seen. The man has talent in that area, no questions here, but there isn't anything to compare in scope or quality when it comes to the Akira manga or Domu: A Child's Dream.

GATSU wrote:

An IMDb search turns up empty, and a google search doesn't do much better. Any place on the Internet that covers this?

Deltakiral wrote:
I figure working live action is easier then working on a manga, it's probably better then working on anime and not getting payed enough for your work.

From what I recall, the Akira movie was basically a failure in Japan. To be honest, he should be grateful for the money the VHS tapes and DVDs pulled in over here with the Streamline and Geneon releases.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

I think that the live-action adaption of Monster will probably get underway when the Monster anime is licensed/finished for North America... whenever that will be.

Don't you mean that the other way around? I always figured that my dear Monster will get licensed once the movie got the ball movie, by that I mean maybe hiring a director.....or a completed script.
Mattousai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
wow.. the name change was not a good idea. Still... nice to see Katsuhiro Otomo adapting an interesting series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn: Anchor Bay took it down, but had it up a few weeks ago.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Don't you mean that the other way around? I always figured that my dear Monster will get licensed once the movie got the ball movie, by that I mean maybe hiring a director.....or a completed script.

I'm beginning to wonder if monster will ever get licensed. Personally, I think that the only reason why it hasn't gotten licensed is because its not action based. And by far (in my opinion at least) monster is very well suited for audiences(Mostly late teens and adults) who don't watch anime. It would be nice to see it on prime time tv here in North America but regrettably that will more than likely NEVER happen. And what is the status of the monster based movie I haven't heard anything about in quite awhile?

[EDIT: Please do not excessively quote. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if monster will ever get licensed. Personally, I think that the only reason why it hasn't gotten licensed is because its not action based.

Then why is Mushishi or Haruhi Suzumiya licensed? In my opinion, I think it's just a matter of money. I'll say it again, that in all likelyhood Monster is most suitable for a company like Geneon for two reasons:

1. It's a Madhouse title. A lot of Madhouse's stuff is already licensed under Geneon, not to mention the mood of the series itself would be a great compliment to the already popular and very dramatic Gankutsuou.

2. Geneon already has another Shogakugan, Madhouse, and Urasawa-related anime under its belt: Master Keaton. Unfortunately, MK hasn't gotten much attention, so Geneon is probably a little hesitant to put forth the money needed to acquire Monster, for the sole chance that it might do as poorly in sales. My guess is they're either doing more research into the investment or just saving up for it to be licensed eventually.

As for the topic at hand, I'd love to see the live action Mushishi, so long as it's not distributed by MiramAxe. If they got their hands on it, they'd probably make it dub only (including a dubbed soundtrack) and with a cover of Ginko holding a Chinese sword in one hand and Ziyi Zhang in the other, with the assumption that she is his lover, when she really is not, nor does she have anything to do with the movie. They'd also translate mushi into "our land."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2