• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Gets 'Episode of East Blue' Special on August 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
So are they gonna abridge the Arlong Park arc again?
But it'll be even shorter this time.... Fitting 100 chapters of story will be tough Toei. I understand that it's One Piece 20th aniversary, but couldn't you do an anime original special that refelects on the past while the Straw Hats are on a new adventure? Like you did with Episode of Luffy???
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Been a while since we've seen an adaption of the cover arcs, really wondering which one they're going to adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
But it'll be even shorter this time.... Fitting 100 chapters of story will be tough Toei. I understand that it's One Piece 20th aniversary, but couldn't you do an anime original special that refelects on the past while the Straw Hats are on a new adventure? Like you did with Episode of Luffy???

The key visual they showed seems to indicate they'll be flashing back to all of East Blue not just Arlong, there are shots from everyone's intro acrs, Zoro bleeding out, Sanji crying, etc
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

The key visual they showed seems to indicate they'll be flashing back to all of East Blue not just Arlong, there are shots from everyone's intro acrs, Zoro bleeding out, Sanji crying, etc

I think what he was getting at is that Arlong will be even more heavily abridged this time. Episode of Nami condensed it quite a bit, and if they're doing the entirety of East Blue in a 2 hour special, it will have to be squashed even more.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Been a while since we've seen an adaption of the cover arcs, really wondering which one they're going to adapt.

For the life of me I'll never understand why Toei hasn't been adapting them all along. I mean, they're essentially canon filler, and given how long the anime has been extremely close to the manga, you'd think they'd be grasping for anything that would buy them a bit of breathing room, I think the only ones they've touched on thus far were Buggy and Coby/Helmeppo way back in East Blue, obviously all of the Straw Hats during the timeskip, and the recent flashback to how Wapol became a ruler again. That's about it. What's really frustrating is that most of the cover stories help explain how certain characters wound up in certain places (like Hachi for instance), so if you don't read the manga you're legit missing out on backstory.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Enel's Space Pirate cover story be adapted in some way. Those were interesting covers and they could easily do it in a OVA format or some short film.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of some of those scenes being re-animated. I miss part of the old animation, but it could do to be cleaned up. I'm tentatively curious and kind of excited.

Top Gun wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

For the life of me I'll never understand why Toei hasn't been adapting them all along. I mean, they're essentially canon filler, and given how long the anime has been extremely close to the manga, you'd think they'd be grasping for anything that would buy them a bit of breathing room, I think the only ones they've touched on thus far were Buggy and Coby/Helmeppo way back in East Blue, obviously all of the Straw Hats during the timeskip, and the recent flashback to how Wapol became a ruler again. That's about it. What's really frustrating is that most of the cover stories help explain how certain characters wound up in certain places (like Hachi for instance), so if you don't read the manga you're legit missing out on backstory.

Huh, good point. I don't keep up with the anime that much so I never realized how much they've missed covering. They should start going back over older covers here and there instead of introducing new filler all the time. For people just getting into the series, it'd be nice. Or even for long-time fans that are nostalgic for some of those older bits.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

It was asked in the Unofficial One Piece Podcast (forgot where though), but according to them, it's because those first couple of attempts at cover stories cause the ratings to nosedive to where the show got in danger of cancellation, both times. They also received a lot of complaints about doing entire story arcs with no Straw Hat crewmembers. Apparently, it scared the Toei people enough to never do it again.

Sounds like they're finally going to give it another shot now. There were hints that Oda was going to make them more significant when there was a brief mention of the Marines buying Wapol Steel. Then, Hacchan's cover story led directly to the Sabaody Archipelago story (though it could still be understood without it). However, we've recently had cover stories like Jinbe's that would create huge holes in the narrative if Toei skipped them, and I am certain Eneru's cover story will be of enormous significance near the end of the series. In other words, cover stories have become more important over the last few years of the manga, and I think Toei cannot deny this any longer. I think they're adapting cover stories to test the waters again and see if the viewers will take to them.

manapear wrote:
Huh, good point. I don't keep up with the anime that much so I never realized how much they've missed covering. They should start going back over older covers here and there instead of introducing new filler all the time. For people just getting into the series, it'd be nice. Or even for long-time fans that are nostalgic for some of those older bits.

Considering how popular Ace has continued to be, I think it'd be a no-brainer to go for that one,if they're going to pick from anywhere in the series. (That, and the attack on Dr. Blackbeard was hilarious. And I'd like to see them animate the scene where the Marine commanders have to drink nasty-tasting coffee.)
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Also the Baroque Works mini-arc explained why Mr. 4, Miss Merry Christmas, Lasso, and Miss Double Finger were not in Impel Down even though they were arrested after Crocodile's defeat, which is because the other Officer Agents that were left behind in Little Garden (Miss Goldenweek, Mr. 5, and Miss Doublefinger) were there to bail them out.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
Also the Baroque Works mini-arc explained why Mr. 4, Miss Merry Christmas, Lasso, and Miss Double Finger were not in Impel Down even though they were arrested after Crocodile's defeat, which is because the other Officer Agents that were left behind in Little Garden (Miss Goldenweek, Mr. 5, and Miss Doublefinger) were there to bail them out.

That true too. I don't think the anime ever explained why they weren't there.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Adv193 wrote:

That true too. I don't think the anime ever explained why they weren't there.

That's entirely correct. This is one of those cases where it is better off reading the manga. Officially this can now also be done by purchasing the digital releases other than just the physical releases (Viz's website, Amazon, or ComiXology).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It was asked in the Unofficial One Piece Podcast (forgot where though), but according to them, it's because those first couple of attempts at cover stories cause the ratings to nosedive to where the show got in danger of cancellation, both times. They also received a lot of complaints about doing entire story arcs with no Straw Hat crewmembers. Apparently, it scared the Toei people enough to never do it again.

I can see the ratings having been an issue back when the anime was new and the manga wasn't all that established, but there's no way that holds up at this point. The entire franchise is a license to print money right now, and the anime is routinely in the top 3 or 4 most-watched airings of the week. If Toei's glacial pacing over the past several years hasn't done anything to dent that, then neither will spending a few weeks covering what's been going on with side characters. Hopefully more intelligent heads prevail and we start seeing more of these animated, since like you said, they seem more and more relevant to the series proper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1