• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla: Resurgence Earns 624 Million Yen on Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Anno was like "Screw it", then told Sagisu to drop "Decisive Battle" in Godzilla so he could call it a day and tell fans that it was the final Evangelion movie.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Anno was like "Screw it", then told Sagisu to drop "Decisive Battle" in Godzilla so he could call it a day and tell fans that it was the final Evangelion movie.

It pretty much is the final Evangelion movie. Anno even copied Tomino's works again in Godzilla as well.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm actually rather curious about what is considered a good opening weekend for a movie in Japan. I saw the movie the Friday it opened with a friend. We were probably 2 of like 20 people in the theater at the time. I just assumed it was because it was an earlier showing of the movie but maybe not? Great movie by the way.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Lol. I would expect no less from the man.

And yeah, I've always wondered about what qualifies as a good opening weekend in Japan as well. Though I'm guessing this is in the ballpark. Not just because "it's Gojira!", but also because the 2014 American was considered a relative success and this is earning more than that did, at least on its opening weekend anyway.

Regardless, I'm still ridiculously stoked to see this film! I've heard great things so far. I really hope I can find a theater later this year to see it at, since those limited releases are always a pain in the ass for anyone not stationed in one of the big cities/residential areas.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

I'm actually rather curious about what is considered a good opening weekend for a movie in Japan.

Opening weekend $5M-$10M in Japan is pretty good.

Also, opening weekend is not as important in Japan as it is in the US. Keep in mind though that box office weekend in Japan comprises only Saturday and Sunday (with movies opening on Saturdays), while B.O. weekend in the US comprises Friday-Sunday (with movies opening on Fridays).

In the US, opening weekend usually accounts for as much as 40% of total B.O. gross. In Japan, opening weekend is usually as low as 10%-20% of total B.O. gross.

Also in Japan, weekdays (Mon-Fri) gross and weekend (Sat-Sun) gross are about on par with each other, while in the US weekend (Fri-Sun) gross makes up most of the whole week's gross. Thus, B.O. weekends in general --and opening weekend in particular-- not as important in Japan relatively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1