• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd Sub.Blu-Ray +DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Not watching it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as one of the few (apparently) who did watch this series, I generally agree with Rebecca's review. I don't normally like harem shows, and this one wasn't anything revolutionary, but on the whole it was a competently executed series, and probably deserved better than being completely forgotten. I'd be interested in playing the VN if it ever gets a full English patch (or release). My one point of disagreement is that I really liked Kodachi's character, with her mix of shy and mischievous, and I thought her plotting and scheming, and the emotional dilemma she created for herself as a result, gave her the most interesting story thread out of all the girls.

BTW, Funimation marketing, what's up with that DVD cover? This is clearly a show for older teens and adults, and really aimed more at guys with its bishojo VN roots, but you'd never know that from the sunshine-and-rainbows packaging.
8lacKy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Alright then, I'm probably able to give you a different opinion on the "how good is the adaptation?" question than most would. 90% of the players will tell you, that the anime sucks in comparison - I gotta state otherwise though. It's not actually an adaptation and more like a different take on the same story, that only emphasizes on certain aspects of the storyline. It isn't a masterpiece, but as a member of the most-beloved harem genre, I have to give it credit for a few things - like an actual interesting storyline or the lack of relying on ecchi fanservice, but mainly because of its characters. I've never seen another harem show again in which I actually liked every damn character~ They're not just copy&paste stereotypes and all of 'em have their own quirks and merits, which make 'em feel alive. The anime didn't really change anything in terms of that. Heck, they even added a few character-specific events, that never happened in the VN. Sure, their development is done way quicker because of the limited time window, but they managed to make it work at least decently in my book. (Ha. Book-) The important story elements are all there (even though there's a whole 'nother part after where the anime ends and the overall order is different) and it managed to lead to a kinda satisfying original ending. Even as someone who played the VN, I would still recommend watching this show for aforementioned reasons~

Anyway, if you liked the characters and would like to see the cut-out romance aspects, I can wholeheartedly recommend playing the VN. Every route I've played was pretty satisfying and interesting to read. You shouldn't expect too many h-scenes though, if you're looking for that. It is an Eroge, sure, but those scenes are only used as part of the romance and the development between the MC and the chosen girl. Playing 20+ hours to get 2 scenes for a girl wouldn't make it worth the time. Razz Also - the artwork's pretty good, every character of the series has its own personal route (Yes, the school prez, the voice actress and the loli too + the main cast actually has 2 different personal routes depending of your story progression), the 2nd op is damn catchy and there's even a damn fandisc that adds like 2+ hours of additional content to EVERY route of the main game. There's even an optional route in which our MC doesn't choose any girl and actually becomes a... you know what. ^^ So that's a thing~ If you don't wanna wait for a full english patch, just freakin' use VNReader. It actually works like a charm once you got the hang of it, really. I don't get why so many people are afraid of using text-hookers. I'd be glad to help if anyone needs advice on that matter~

Random CGs, why the f**k not - SFW ofc - #1 #2 #3 #4 BSTGRL #5
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Speaking as one of the few (apparently) who did watch this series, I generally agree with Rebecca's review. I don't normally like harem shows, and this one wasn't anything revolutionary, but on the whole it was a competently executed series, and probably deserved better than being completely forgotten

I generally agree with you... but IIRC, when I watched the series I felt let down at the ending - like it just kinda drifted across the finish line.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
WingKing wrote:
Speaking as one of the few (apparently) who did watch this series, I generally agree with Rebecca's review. I don't normally like harem shows, and this one wasn't anything revolutionary, but on the whole it was a competently executed series, and probably deserved better than being completely forgotten

I generally agree with you... but IIRC, when I watched the series I felt let down at the ending - like it just kinda drifted across the finish line.

It did need a longer episode count. However I will say that I love how the ending is very subversive and spoiler[how the best end is basically he ends up with non of the girls] which is extremely strange for a harem/visual novel
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but as a member of the most-beloved harem genre, I have to give it credit for a few things - like an actual interesting storyline or the lack of relying on ecchi fanservice,

Last I checked it did have some boob grabbing and undie shots.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
but as a member of the most-beloved harem genre, I have to give it credit for a few things - like an actual interesting storyline or the lack of relying on ecchi fanservice,

Last I checked it did have some boob grabbing and undie shots.

That means it has it not that it constantly shows it to you in hopes of keeping you around
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
That means it has it not that it constantly shows it to you in hopes of keeping you around

Yep. It wasn't something that was constantly in your face, and from what I can remember, there was more of it in the first half of the series too than once the story got more serious. I don't generally care for fanservice shows, but this one never went beyond what I can tolerate.

Quote:

I don't remember having any particular problems with the ending. For me the real story-killer came several episodes earlier with the revelation about spoiler[Nagi being Kakei's sister, which both ruined one of the most interesting potential emotional conflicts the show had going for it, and sucked all the suspense right out of the main romantic triangle.] But for the hand the show chose to play, I thought it resolved things just fine. That's just what I can remember, though. I tried to go back and re-watch some of it yesterday, but it looks like this is one of the shows that got caught in the Great Hulu Anime Purge, and Funimation hasn't put it back up yet - trying to watch it through Funi's site just gives me an error message right now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Some of the other subbed-only anime Funi released arev"C3", "Doamygar-D" "OniAi", and "Yatterman Night". I wish this series was more popular because I saw Whitney Rodgers playing our lead lady and I told her such this on her FB back in 11/2014 (I think).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1