• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SMAP Idol Group to Break Up on December 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It was a good run, I guess.
I'm gonna miss them though.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
They were lucky enough to have been together that long. They deserve to do their own thing now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well...It was bound to happen sooner or later. It was a fun ride while it lasted. After producing music together for so many years, the SMAP group deserve to go on their solo journeys, wherever they may take them.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The talent agency Johnny & Associates announced via fax on Sunday

So Japan still uses fax machines? I thought those things were like VCR in that nobody used them anymore.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
All good things must come to an end. Sad
For those who watch SMAP since childhood (late 80's), it's something that they will surely miss.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
I remember the ruckus that was caused when it was first reported back in January, the media was all crazy about it then. Now that things are a little bit more mellow, the fans seem to be more disappointed but not as surprised or shocked. But yes, all good things must come to an end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Quote:
The talent agency Johnny & Associates announced via fax on Sunday

So Japan still uses fax machines? I thought those things were like VCR in that nobody used them anymore.

The fax machine is alive and well in Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/world/asia/in-japan-the-fax-machine-is-anything-but-a-relic.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19045837
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-japan-fax-machines-find-a-final-place-to-thrive/2012/06/07/gJQAshFPMV_story.html
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If the era of the fax machine is still alive and well in Japan despite the huge advancement in computer technology, I wonder what caused it to become obsolete in the U.S.?
Loveless100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate after all of that BS at the beginning of the year. They even said as a group that they would stay together. We (as J&A fans) knew that it wasn't going to last to the end of the year.

Well, unlike other groups in J&A, SMAP had a lot of rumors that they didn't get along well, so the fact that they were around for 25 years says a lot to their professionalism (or the fact that Johnny forced them to stay together...who knows really)

I think the silver lining for fans is that they will continue under the agency and become solo acts. Honestly, that's what I'm most surprised about since there's been some dramatic falling outs with other people in the agency (like KAT-TUN going from 6 members to 3 members in 10 years, NEWS going from 9 to 4 due to various circumstances.)

J&A is a fascinating company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1