• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, September 12-18 [2016-09-20]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
Oh my. Orange vol 1 sold less than 163 DVD copies? And less than 276 BD copies? For it to not the make charts for either is astounding. The Orange manga had 1.6 million volumes of manga sold in the first half of this year. The live-action movie adaptation stayed on the box office top 10 charts for more than two months.

How in the world did the anime perform so astonishingly bad in terms of home video sales? I'm not familiar with the series myself, but given the amount of fans that the source material and live action adaptation had, for it to not rank at all for either format is simply bewildering.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh my. Orange vol 1 sold less than 163 DVD copies? And less than 276 BD copies? For it to not the make charts for either is astounding. The Orange manga had 1.6 million volumes of manga sold in the first half of this year. The live-action movie adaptation stayed on the box office top 10 charts for more than two months.

How in the world did the anime perform so astonishingly bad in terms of home video sales? I'm not familiar with the series myself, but given the amount of fans that the source material and live action adaptation had, for it to not rank at all for either format is simply bewildering.

It's simple. It's a shoujo anime. Period. No but seriously, have you seen the disc sales for shoujo manga to anime series? Abysmal. The last one which did decently was Kimi ni Todoke.

I like to call it the shoujo curse. Which is why we don't see a lot of shoujo manga getting anime.

Still, the main thing is to boost manga sales which the anime did.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Shoujo curse aside, Orange is a pretty slavishly loyal & not especially well received adaptation of an already finished manga that really would only appeal over the book if you really need sound & colour to enjoy something. That you can buy the entire manga series for less than one volume of the anime doesn't help, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1