• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Strange Reinterpretations of Classic Literature

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
>Nadia

That was mediocre at best, two anime that should have been on this list include The Mystery of Dantalion and Roar of The Machine God Demonbane; both of them act literary enough. I'd bring up the Aquarion trilogy except they don't reference things enough, but if referencing is enough Eureka Seven Astral Ocean should get an honorable mention! I'd mention Okami-san except it does nothing with its refs. No comment on the other entries since I have never heard of them.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Code Geass always struck me as taking a lot of themes and characters from Hamlet, while adding plenty of anime-flavoring and twists. Lelouch and Shirley, in particular, easily correspond to Hamlet and Ophelia. And then there's the ending, which manages to simultaneously copy and completely change Hamlet's ending. (Almost to the point of seeming like Lelouch might've read Hamlet close to the end, realized that's where he was heading, and planned accordingly.)

I heard someone say The Lost Village was based on some obscure old French novel, though having not seen/read either I can't really confirm it (the names and premises are pretty close though).
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
I never realized that Str.A.In. was inspired by classic literature.
Since I have not read the original work it does not really matter to me, but I will try to keep it in mind when I watch the show again, which I am planning to do soon, I hope.

For the new poll I just scrolled down until I found Rumiko Takahashi and clicked on her.
I did not bother to even look at any of the other entries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hey, I was completely serious with my pick of Jaden Smith for Sasuke! That is literally perfect casting. Laughing

I bought Gankutsuou a couple of years ago, but still need to get to that. Since the Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite novels, and the more recent film adaptation with Caviezel is one of my favorite movies, I'm not entirely sure if I want to see what they did with it for anime. The setting, by itself is a bit off-putting.

For the new poll.... hmmm... I love Urasawa, but Miki Yoshikawa is killing it on Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, and Inio Asano has made a couple of my all time favorites.. Hard to choose.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
You can choose up to three people on the poll. I had to add the three choices of mine, but hey, at least they're there now.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Not surprised at all that Gankutsuou is on the list. It's too obvious to be excluded, and it's actually one of the better adaptations when it comes to the characters, from what I've heard.

As for the poll, despite the repeated issue with hiatuses in his current work, I have to go with Togashi. I read the rest of the list to be fair to everyone mentioned, but although many of the mangaka listed have created stories I've enjoyed, none of their names really jumped out to me like his did. I know, that's a total shock to anyone who's ever taken note of my icon./obvious joke
shuusei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love Blast of Tempest (still wish it got released on BD here) and Gankutsuou. Been meaning to also check out Romeo x Juliet, may have to do that soon...
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou has it's share of problems, like poor CGI, changed ending or rewritten personality of Albert. But it all doesn't matter, because of the great story, amazing art and one of the best vocie acting I've ever heard. And yeah, Count is the best Jouji Nakata's role and the man have a huge list of the great roles.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
The poll is missing prominent ones like Kentaro Miura and Hiroaki Samura. Gankutsuou is definitely the best one of that list.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
You can choose up to three people on the poll.

Thank you for mentioning that because I had not noticed it.

In addition to my first choice of Rumiko Takahashi I selected CLAMP because Angelic Layer, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Chobits are some of my favorites.
I also added Kakifly. He deserves my vote just for creating K-On! even if he never did anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Infinite Ryvius
'Lord of the Flies' set in space. Somehow they nail it. Utterly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
You can choose up to three people on the poll.

Thanks for pointing that out. Smile

Lol at the Naruto poll. I had noticed some of the added answers when voting, but it turned out even more fun than I'd expected.

I guess we just did all the Alice in Wonderland adaptations/homages. Smile If this List weren't apparently limited to Western classic literature, I'd add a bunch of adaptations of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West, and there's also Magi, based loosely on 1001 Arabian Nights, which I think counts as classic literature even though based on folk tales, and Heroic Legend of Arslan inspired at least by the Persian epic Amir Arsalan-e Namdar.

There are also two different manga titled Othello, but I have no idea if either one has anything to do with the play. Their synopses make me doubtful. Still, I can't believe there's no anime of this yet. Smile
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
For favorite manga creator, I went with a nostaglic option- Hiro Mashima(particular his work with Rave Master).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Curse whoever split the Horikoshi votes; I had to use two of mine on him.

And what do you mean you won't display the Naruto live action actor poll!? I want cold hard numbers on how many people chose a dead mouse over Zac Efron.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I am flabbergasted. I had absolutely no idea Str.a.in (?) was based on anything, much less a classic novel. To Wikipedia!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5