• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Gundam 8th MS Team & Miller's Report, Gundam MS Igloo Anime on DVD/B

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes. MS 08th team was my entry into the series, and dare I say the best of the series. That was also one of the shows that got me into Toonami. Fond memories of watching that show and listen to Daft Punks Discovery album on repeat during that summer.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The GOAT known as 08th MS Team returns.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory OVA includes the English dub instead of being subtitle only, which should only apply to the Afterglow of Zeon clusterfuck film.

I might finally breakdown and give money to Righstuf for The 08th MS Team; I had to change pants after seeing how good it looked on BD.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I have never seen 08th MS Team, but after reading a few articles about it, I look forward to it's release.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the biggest fan of 8th MS Team at all. The Romeo and Juliet love story was hilarious in how poorly written it was. Besides Shiro,all the support characters were pretty one-note. The main villain was just generic,Captain I'm a Bad Guy. Then the epilogue episode they decided to do,which took a decent ending,and turned into a forced happy ending for the main characters.

I'll most likely pick up that movie trilogy on blu-ray.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
08th MS Team is what drew me into the Universal Century timeline with its moral complexities and modern visuals. I was convinced to follow the original series more attentively as it aired on afternoon Toonami. In some ways, it's how I became as big a Gundam fan as I am now. I already have it on DVD, but I'll probably get it on Blu-Ray at some point.

I hope they include those UC history shorts that were on the DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Wasn't the biggest fan of 8th MS Team at all. The Romeo and Juliet love story was hilarious in how poorly written it was. Besides Shiro,all the support characters were pretty one-note. The main villain was just generic,Captain I'm a Bad Guy. Then the epilogue episode they decided to do,which took a decent ending,and turned into a forced happy ending for the main characters.

That because ( from what I heard) 8th MS team went through 4 or 5 different writers ( yes I'm not even kidding ) when the OVA was being made so lot the stuff you see ( like Admiral Yuri Kellerne and Ginias Sahalin sub plot ) are pretty much removed, notice how Yuri is an asshole in OVA episode 3 ( going by memory) but is actually a good dude at the end ? ( different director who had his own ideas ) and I think that the problem when it comes to any thing Gundam relate there is always gonna be back door Bs going on, doesn't happen all the time, but when it dose its not always a good thing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
lol they had some funny tech issues during that panel...spent like 70% of the panel trying to get their DVD to work. Never did get it working completely. They also mentioned some kind of DVD-to-bluray upgrade for an older title but I can't remember which title it was.
prtorpedo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

Some fair criticism, but I'd disagree with the ending. Yeah, it was kind of cheesy, but it kind of felt more bittersweet than anything, especially given how in the large scale of the UC timeline the actions of the main characters aren't too impactful. I'd also disagree with all the side characters being one note.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Great to hear. Very Happy 8th MS Team is a series I've been wanting on blu-ray for a long time.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
ahh my gundam collection grows ever more, and to think today I got victory gundam pt 2 in the mail
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:

That because ( from what I heard) 8th MS team went through 4 or 5 different writers ( yes I'm not even kidding ) when the OVA was being made so lot the stuff you see ( like Admiral Yuri Kellerne and Ginias Sahalin sub plot ) are pretty much removed, notice how Yuri is an asshole in OVA episode 3 ( going by memory) but is actually a good dude at the end ? ( different director who had his own ideas ) and I think that the problem when it comes to any thing Gundam relate there is always gonna be back door Bs going on, doesn't happen all the time, but when it dose its not always a good thing.
If there were 4-5 writers then half of them are uncredited. 08th MS Team only has 2 creditd writers. One did ep. 1-9 and the other did ep. 10-12.

I know that the 2nd director for 08th ms team is usually cited as a reason for the show's writing woes but to my knoweledge those are just rumors. I've even heard that supposedly the show's writing had already been finalized by the time the 2nd director took over.

As for the dropped character threads. Admirial Yuri is a bit of a cocky jerk to Giniahs in the first half, but his kindness towards his troops in the second half isnt necessarily out of character. In real life, people are kind to some and jerks to others. Giniahs may of had more backstory planned, but at the same time its possible the writer just never found a way to fit it in.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Did they clarify if Miller's Report is going to be it's own release or part of the OVA set?
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:

If there were 4-5 writers then half of them are uncredited. 08th MS Team only has 2 creditd writers. One did ep. 1-9 and the other did ep. 10-12.

I know that the 2nd director for 08th ms team is usually cited as a reason for the show's writing woes but to my knoweledge those are just rumors. I've even heard that supposedly the show's writing had already been finalized by the time the 2nd director took over.

As for the dropped character threads. Admirial Yuri is a bit of a cocky jerk to Giniahs in the first half, but his kindness towards his troops in the second half isnt necessarily out of character. In real life, people are kind to some and jerks to others. Giniahs may of had more backstory planned, but at the same time its possible the writer just never found a way to fit it in.
I might be confusing it for the change in Directors then
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to re watching the Gundam movie trilogy on blu-ray. It's the only time I ever watched compilation films and actually liked them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3