• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wandering Island GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
It'd be nice if this review mentioned that there will never be a volume 2[/code]
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
I forgot about this. I need to pick it up.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
It'd be nice if this review mentioned that there will never be a volume 2

Why do you say that?
This article has the series coming off of hiatus two years ago.
Did it go back on hiatus again?

In any case I am not interested enough in this to buy it. But I did just reserve it at the library.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see Tsurita-san back in the spotlight again. I wondered what he was doing all this time after his work on Spirit of Wonder. That will be one series folks will be glad to see if it ever gets released again. There was the first movie, Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring put out by Animeigo and then the Spirit of Wonder: Scientific Boy's Club put out by Bandai. Then there's that awesome tome that's now out of print of his work.

Be happy to take a look at his work again once we get our copy in. His art style is always a pleasure to see.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I saw it at my local B&N and was intrigued by the cover. I never heard nor read anything about this manga. Had it in my hand, put it down, picked it up, and put it down again - for good. Damn my indecisiveness. It sounds wonderful.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm very surprised that only 1 volume has been published in Japan.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Read this review this morning over breakfast and thought, "Hey, this sounds right up my alley!" Mulled it over through the workday, and by the time I got off, I swung by Barnes & Noble to pick it up (along with Wolfsmund Vol. 7 and Ancient Magus's Bride Vol. 5), making it possibly my fastest turnaround from "learned series X existed" to "purchased it." The artwork looks fantastic, very lived-in.

Also, thrill to the five-page Carl Horn essay in the back of the book~
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
I've been picking up this guy's work from amanzon.co.jp for years. I hope Dark Horse brings more of his stuff over (and, like this volume, makes it available on the Kindle). Because of this review, I bought the ebook version last night to read the translation (it takes forever for me to work my way through a book in Japanese).

Very good. One can view the ending as either a cliff-hanger or a door opening to possibilities to fill with your own imagination. I enjoyed it tons.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I had a chance to recommend his Spirit of Wonder to co-worker as it was a title she had never hand the chance of reading. (I think we have our copy in already) When it gets cataloged she can have the chance to checking it out. But not before me. LOL!!
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing this at B&N and then forgetting what the title was to order it later. It definitely sounds like something I'd like.
thecritter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I read this when the scanslations came out. Volume One had chapters 1-4, which are readily available today. There was a hiatus, and then several more chapters appeared on the web, I believe through ch. 11, but they have since disappeared. I was unable to find anything past chapter 4 just now.

After the hiatus, the subsequent chapters were magazine-published, but not published as a collection. Hopefully, Dark Horse will remedy that situation.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
I read this book last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.
I completely agree with the review.

This book is fun and satisfying on its own, but it is also obviously just the start of the story.
I would like to read this again but I will not do that until I have the second volume to follow it with. If we never get the second volume that will be very disappointing.

This edition has seven pages of notes about the geography and history of the area where the story is set. I found them to be very educational and entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
I know this post is very late Laughing but this manga has now rocketed to the top with The Ancient Magus's Bride as my favs. I'm totally impressed by the great line work and will gobble up anything that reminds me of my favorite anime movie, "Laputa: Castle in the Sky". I'm eagerly awaiting Volume 2, whenever that's announced Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1