• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Becomes #1 Japanese Film in China of All Time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
holy shit...
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, it just keeps reaching new heights.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen this movie so it baffles me on what is so good about it. When i saw the trailer it really didn't interest me much.
Tenchi904

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the films "Ocean wave in 4K" and "Your Name" in American theaters.
Deynard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
aodmisery wrote:
I have not seen this movie so it baffles me on what is so good about it. When i saw the trailer it really didn't interest me much.

I can gladly say that trailers shows only 10% of plot. By watching trailers or reading info you can know nothing about actual plot.

I bet you saw trailers and think "oh look, they change bodies, how original, duuh". If there is better plot that this.
grouwl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I was always sad that Shinkai couldn't find a love interest in real life and that's why he can come up with these powerful stories. Tortured souls artists are the best for this.
But now, that he's gonna become a millionaire... he can get all the p***y he wants...from anywhere in the world. Let's cheer with our beers for him!!

Dude is gonna lose his virginity like 10.000 times now!!
Kaitonic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit.
That's the only phrase in my head right now.
It's been in China just 2 weeks and it is going to get over US$100 million.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Boiii the Your Name hype train just never stop.
CHOO CHOO
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Is this in the US yet? It might crossover.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
At this rate, I can see it easily getting in top 5 highest-grossing traditionally animated films of all time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
At this rate, I can see it easily getting in top 5 highest-grossing traditionally animated films of all time.

What does it even have to beat still? It looks like it's surpassed most of the Disney 2D films from recent memory, and it only has Spirited Away to go in Japan. I just sifted through all of the ones that I remembered watching as a kid, and adjusted for inflation, I guess it still has a few, but raw gross it's definitely in the top percentile already. I'll have to look at more numbers later.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

What does it even have to beat still? It looks like it's surpassed most of the Disney 2D films from recent memory, and it only has Spirited Away to go in Japan. I just sifted through all of the ones that I remembered watching as a kid, and adjusted for inflation, I guess it still has a few, but raw gross it's definitely in the top percentile already. I'll have to look at more numbers later.

It's not even close to beating Disney's Snow White so yeah, even limited to just 2-D animated films, it has a lot to beat.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Thing is that one should count tickets sold instead of dollars because of massive differences in ticket prices between countries. In China the movie probably is going to sell several times more tickets than in Japan even if it's gross in dollars is lower. I don't think however that Your Name will surpass American blockbusters like Frozen, because Japanese culture doesn't have global traction compared to American even if it surpasses American films in East Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
grouwl wrote:
I was always sad that Shinkai couldn't find a love interest in real life and that's why he can come up with these powerful stories.

Odd I always heard that the original voices for the two leads in Hoshi no Koe were Shinkai and his wife.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
When you think about it, that's not much of a milestone. I don't think there's been too many Japanese films that did really well abroad. The only one I can think of is "Spirited Away", and that was distributed by Disney.

Pierrot. wrote:

Yeah... I think you're getting a little too excited now. It's not even close to Disney, and it's not out worldwide yet. What we can hope for however, is that these box office numbers will restore confidence in 2D animation again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2