• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coyote Ragtime Show (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Coyote Ragtime Show (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction, thriller
Themes: assassins, girls with guns, pirates, treasure hunting

Plot Summary: Mister is a "coyote" or space faring outlaw who has been sitting in prison for a year for a traffic offence. Ten days from release, he breaks out with the help of his old partners Bishop and Katana. He then seeks out Franka who has been left in his care by her dead father and takes her on a journey to find her father's treasure. On their heels are the federal investigators Angelica and Chelsea as well as the android assassins of the Criminal Guild, Madame Marciano's Twelve Sisters.
----------------------------------

What are everyone's thoughts on the Coyote Ragtime Show that ANN decided to advertise?

First of all the banner to the left as well as the title itself don't do the anime justice (not that in needs any)

I watched the episode and I will say that, although it is the first episode, there was a bit too much crammed into 25 mins. At first I though the anime was some kind of Sci-Fi action thing, but then it flipped into some melodramatic tale about a "Detective" trying to solve a crime.

Still about 4 mins in, all of a sudden the screenplay is trying to convince me that this 'Mister' villian is the baddest mother----- of all time by repeating his name all solemm and sinister about 7 times.

About 7 mins later I'm under the impression that the anime is about terriorism or terrorists and how the detective needs to catch them. Fine, thats a solid concept but it could be better.

Then as I'm watching it manages to sneak in some scene about a woman or something that at the time has nothing to do with the anime.

And then later the anime completely (IMO) switches completely from all of the above and focuses on some hit crew. Then the anime changes from melodrama to filth action, followed into by an 8 minute mexican standoff that had me puzzled throughout.
-----

Overall I felt that anime tried to do too much at once,are you a comedy or an action or a drama or an anime made for shooting? The voice acting was pretty good but the blode VA was annoying and everyone but her attempted to talk like they were cast outs from the Matrix. Dead-serious, deadpan dialogue throughtout. Also, the villian(s) were overdone. Mister was talked about like he some villian straight from GITS or that Karas movie, and then when you see him, he looks like Fabio and talks like a cheap pirate. And then the 12 girls made as much sense as Ronald Mcdonald doing a driveby on The King of BK.

I felt that the anime wasn't focused, but it showed potential enough to say that maybe the next few episodes will have a focal point that would be able to drive the viewer to know what exactly what they are watching.

overall 3.5/5

-Rema
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I felt that the first episode was the best in the series and while the next few were decent, it was just dowhnill from there. After the first episode, the show focuse mostly on Mister and his boring stock buddies. The plot is somewhere between dull and laughable. It's stupid but tries to be taken seriously and is rarely entertaining. The Twelve Sisters do little after the second episode and Angelica and whatshername become side characters with minimal involvement. There are a few nice lines or action scenes stuck in here and there but it couldn't save this series.

I never got around to watching the last two episodes before it was licensed but I doubt there were any big improvements and I have little interest in seeing them.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
i thought it was an okay series. nothing great. the first 6 episodes were really good, then 7-9 were really lame. it got it's stride again though in the last 3 eps.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
coffee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first episode, I knew this was definately different from anything I've seen in awhile. Killer robots dressed in gothic lolita fashion anyone? The show reminds me of movies like Inside Man, and James Bond, where the "good" guys end up being the "bad" guys and are all sneaky and whatnot. Still, entertaining enough to merit me continuing the series past episode 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the Coyote Ragtime Show that ANN decided to advertise?

Just so you and everyone else are clear about this, it's not that ANN decided to advertise it but rather that ANN is being paid to display the advertisement. In no way should anyone assume that ANN is making any sort of editorial statement about the show because of the advertisement.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first episode, but got too bored to continue about 3/4ths of the way through. It just seemed too derivative of Cowboy Bebop, down to the "American west symbol + form of music originating in America" title, except it lacked the essential Cowboy Bebop ingredient of "actually being good".

And if I wanted quirky "Elegant Gothic Lolita" robots, I'd just go watch Rozen Maiden and get the full monty. (Yes, I know the Rozen Maiden girls are magical dolls and are not technically robots, but they're close enough.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was awesome, it was fast paced, action filled, promising and seemed to be solid in almost every aspect. But with those mostly negative comment from those who seen more of it makes me wonder. But again, there's only one way to forge my own opinion... .
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
I don't know how bad the dub is, but the sub wasn't bad, if only for the loli-goth death-bots. Overall all you need to know about the series is that it's all a single arc heist that takes place over about two weeks or so, with both the law, the government, and the mafia playing angles to try and screw it up. It's kinda funny in parts, kinda touching in parts, and is indeed remniscent of Bebop, without ever quite hitting that mark of quality. I think I'd much have prefered a spin-off about the Twelve Sisters though.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
And if I wanted quirky "Elegant Gothic Lolita" robots, I'd just go watch Rozen Maiden and get the full monty. (Yes, I know the Rozen Maiden girls are magical dolls and are not technically robots, but they're close enough.)

I got turned off when they repeatedly used DESU alot in that series.
jousha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
it's not that ANN decided to advertise it but rather that ANN is being paid to display the advertisement.

It still is a decision on their part to accept the payment and put up the advertisement as a design for the whole site.

one3rd wrote:
In no way should anyone assume that ANN is making any sort of editorial statement about the show because of the advertisement.

People have the right to assume that ANN promotes the show; it's not like their normal banner ad's. I only recall them doing this with another show thus far. I doubt ANN's staff would all agree on the show's quality, but I'm sure there's a contract that lets them know what they can and cannot say when it comes to the show.

On the show itself, I haven't seen it but it sounds like it is geared more toward the casual anime-viewer than otakus. I'll try to view the first episode once I get onto a stronger internet server ... and give my impression then ...
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they are trying to push this show over something like Chevalier just goes to show you how poor the decisions are within headquarters.

I also hated this show, not just for the goth loli killer robots and other similarly hoaky gimicks, but for the terrible terrible acting. Both the voice acting and the actual actions of the characters is absolutely pitiful in terms of believability. They act like they're on stage for a play, making overdramatic gestures that aren't just unrealistic, they're downright distracting and silly. Watching the show, the only thing I could think of was:

"wth, what's with the arm motions, the overdramatic speeches, and the hoaky goth loli assassin robot girls? ...people wouldn't do that.... no one would say that in a situation like that! OMG, that's so corny!"

I don't know how the dub went, but I thought the sub was terrible. At least the animation was pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
I thought the first episode was awesome, it was fast paced, action filled, promising and seemed to be solid in almost every aspect. But with those mostly negative comment from those who seen more of it makes me wonder. But again, there's only one way to forge my own opinion... .
Me too. Those Goth-loli killers bothers me (except the leader, which is cool, since she looks appropriately sinister; she should've been alone instead of with all those fetish-collections), but otherwise the rest of the episode is promising.

With all the negatives, though...

So they'd fail to bring all those little points together in the end? Aww, shucks. I'll try and catch some samples anyway to see how it goes.

In any case, this show is not Bebop. Bebop is a whole 'nother level of awesomeness.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
jousha wrote:
People have the right to assume that ANN promotes the show

Regardless of where the ad is placed, it's ADV promoting the show, not ANN. ANN just provides the space for a fee. That's how advertising works. It's actually quite unreasonable to assume that any paid advertisement is indicative of the opinion of the party selling the ad space.

jousha wrote:
it's not like their normal banner ad's. I only recall them doing this with another show thus far.

There have been two instances thus far. First with the Fuccons, and second with Guyver. And it won't be the last one either.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Coyote skin was pretty garish, and, if I may say, had a very "painted whore" quality to it, but if that's what it takes to keep the site running then I guess it's ok to accept it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People have the right to assume that ANN promotes the show

They do, doesn't prevent them from being wrong however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2