Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Replaces One Piece Anime With Tokyo Ghoul Starting on March 25


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
theNightster



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 1212
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
One piece is a good series but Toonami has way too many long runners as it is, (I love Hunter X hunter and DBZ don't get me wrong) as for the replacement, would have chosen a certain magical index over Tokyo Ghoul anime but that's none of my business
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hugh Mungus



Joined: 25 Aug 2016
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well that blows.

RIP One Piece on Toonami, hopefully someone else will pick you up and give you another chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7925
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Fine with me. I turn off Toonami after ShotaXShota, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3404
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised. Toonami could do with a bit more variety in genres, and watching week to week has made me aware of just how slow One Piece can feel at times. Tokyo Ghoul seemed like a show Toonami would want, though it's hard to be excited about a show I've had on disc for some time now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1547
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that sucks. I agree there are too many long-running shows on Toonami, but I was pretty sure One Piece had good ratings. I mean, why not replace Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 with it instead when that show ends? I mean, Tokyo Ghoul does seem like a perfect fit for Toonami and I'm happy for it but - One Piece man. (Unless Funimation is just putting it on hiatus or something and replacing it with Tokyo Ghoul so they can work on the timeskip?).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 885
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
While I'm pleasantly surprised they actually chose a decent place to cap off the run, this news is pretty surprising in other ways. Hopefully it comes back at some point, even if you all have zero hope that it will.

At this point, I'd just embrace Tokyo Ghoul, love or hate it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1547
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Also, hearing Steven Blum talk like that makes me want him to be in One Piece in some capacity. A guy can dream, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ECW28



Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
While I'm pleasantly surprised they actually chose a decent place to cap off the run, this news is pretty surprising in other ways. Hopefully it comes back at some point, even if you all have zero hope that it will.

At this point, I'd just embrace Tokyo Ghoul, love or hate it.


Demarco did say "never say never" when asked if it would return. Demarco is also a big One Piece fan from the looks of it, and it appears that this just happened due to the circumstances. Ratings were a major part of it, as well as cost and other "unspecified things". I imagine it'll be back later this year, if they can work out a cheap deal, or sometime in 2018. It's still too popular to be taken off permanently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tsumikisan



Joined: 22 Mar 2016
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Sad for OP dub fans, but I'm glad they did this. I haven't tuned in to Toonami for a while since it became almost purely long runners. They need at least one or two slots dedicated to shows that are long enough to keep them stable for about half a year, but short enough to keep things fresh and interesting. Tokyo Ghoul has been an in-demand show for years now; the time slot fits, this works out.

Then again they could just be doing this to be the bridge between the first half and New World. Who knows really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theNightster



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 1212
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Damn, that sucks. I agree there are too many long-running shows on Toonami, but I was pretty sure One Piece had good ratings. I mean, why not replace Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 with it instead when that show ends? I mean, Tokyo Ghoul does seem like a perfect fit for Toonami and I'm happy for it but - One Piece man. (Unless Funimation is just putting it on hiatus or something and replacing it with Tokyo Ghoul so they can work on the timeskip?).
the ratings for One piece weren't all that hot tbh, but it was on a death time slot of 2:30am so that really doesn't help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veemonjosh



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 222
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Tsumikisan wrote:
Then again they could just be doing this to be the bridge between the first half and New World. Who knows really.


They still had Shabody/Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford left to run, so I doubt that's the case. Though if One Piece does return, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they jump ahead to after the timeskip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering which long runner would get killed first between Naruto and OP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
heartlessangel65



Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Tsumikisan wrote:
Sad for OP dub fans, but I'm glad they did this. I haven't tuned in to Toonami for a while since it became almost purely long runners.


Same here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tsumikisan



Joined: 22 Mar 2016
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
I was wondering which long runner would get killed first between Naruto and OP.

Naruto is kind of in Shippuden's peak episodes though (at least I know Sasuke vs Itachi just recently ended), so there's no way they'd kill it off during the best arc of the series.

veemonjosh wrote:
They still had Shabody/Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford left to run, so I doubt that's the case. Though if One Piece does return, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they jump ahead to after the timeskip.

Oh wow, I was under the impression they were already at Marineford. Well damn then there goes my theory. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1255
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
I guess third time's not always a charm. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group